Latest IELTS Writing Questions & Answers Task 1 | Task 2

IELTS questions about changes - do younger or older people adapt more easily to changes?

These IELTS speaking test questions were asked last week in an IELTS interview in Sri lanka.

Part 3 IELTS questions about changes

Who is more prone to change: younger or older people? Why?

It’s probably older people because they may have been accustomed to doing things in a certain way and then have to, or choose to, adopt a new way of doing things. Let me give you an example; online shopping is something that many younger people have simply grown up with as a fact of life – they can’t remember a time when you couldn’t shop online. However, many older people did their shopping the traditional way before e-commerce and business internet services became really popular, so it’s the older people who have had to change their shopping habits and not the younger people.

Who is more adaptable to changes: younger or older people?

Nowadays, it’s probably not a question of age, it depends more on the individual person. Older people are still very adaptable and although they might not be interested in some of the things that younger are crazy about or use, they still have the ability to adopt new ideas and ways of doing things. My father, for example, grew up without the internet but through his work and because he’s interested in what technology can achieve he probably knows more about it than I do and is therefore always ready to try the next new thing – which interest him – not necessarily me. Being adaptable is very much a personal trait, not so much age related. I even know some young people who don’t like change much.


Do you prefer to use an old fashioned dictionary or an electronic one? Why?

Well it depends on where I am. If I need to use a dictionary and there’s Wi-Fi available I’ll usually use one of the online dictionaries from Oxford or Cambridge or access them on my phone, so that wouldn’t be using an old fashioned dictionary or an electronic one. Most places where I might be offer internet access so I can’t actually remember the last time I used anything other than an online dictionary. I do have an electronic dictionary at home, as well as some traditional hardback reference dictionaries, but I haven’t used them in years.

Would you like to get a dictionary as a birthday gift?

I’d consider it a good idea if maybe it was a dictionary which wasn’t available online, you know, a specialized area or field which the dictionary dealt with. Then it would seem to be an excellent idea for a gift, but with all the reference sites and dictionaries available on the internet… I really can’t see the point in gifting a traditional dictionary anymore… unless of course the person lives someplace where there’s no internet access provided.

If you had a chance of writing a dictionary, would you do it?

It might be interesting if it’s for words that haven’t already been documented somewhere else. I wouldn’t fancy just duplicating or doing something very similar to an existing dictionary, but if it was a new dictionary, or a new type of dictionary then it could be interesting.



Quick & Easy Tips to Improve Your IELTS Speaking

Essential IELTS Speaking Videos

The best IELTS tips from British Council IELTS trainers. Watching these will seriously improve your speaking for IELTS!