Describe an expensive item that you bought and then regretted

IELTS Speaking Part 2 | Candidate Task Card | Describe an expensive item that you bought and then regretted

Describe an expensive item that you bought and then regretted

You should say:
  • What the item was
  • How much it cost you
  • Why you bought it
And explain why you regretted buying it.

Answer

So, there's this one time I vividly remember splurging on a super fancy, but super expensive, coffee machine. It cost me almost a grand, and I thought it was an absolute must-have for my growing love for gourmet coffee brewing. I got totally swept off my feet by its cool features and the dream of making barista-level coffee at home, and I didn't really think about whether it was a practical idea.

I had a couple of reasons for buying it. First, it was like a badge of honour for my newfound coffee obsession, something that started back in my uni days with those late-night study sessions fueled by endless cups of coffee. Plus, I figured having a pro coffee machine would polish my brewing skills and kinda mark my entry into sophisticated adult life after graduation.

But man, the excitement didn't last long. The thing was complicated to use, and I felt as if I was way in over my head. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get that perfect cup of artisanal coffee, and the machine went from being my pride and joy to basically a big regret. I ended up realizing that I'd blown a chunk of my savings on a whim and had way overestimated my dedication to brewing coffee. Now, the machine just takes up space, reminding me of that impulse buy and why practicality should sometimes come before prestige.

Looking back, I learned a lot about being careful with money and the importance of doing my homework before falling for fancy stuff. Even though I regret the purchase, it really changed how I think about buying things now, making me more careful and thoughtful about what's really necessary, valuable, and fulfilling.


Similar Task Cards