Describe Something You Bought But Don't Often Use | IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe something you bought but don't often use

You should say:
  • what it is
  • when and where you bought it
  • what it is used for and why you bought it
And explain why you don't often use it.

Sample Answer

Okay, so about a year ago I had to travel to another country where the weather was a lot colder than where I live. I was going to be there for about a week; I was attending a conference there in connection with my work, and I looked online to see what the temperature was in the city I would be visiting and I got quite a shock.

I realized that I didn’t have any really suitable clothes for such cold weather, so I decided that I would buy a warm coat to wear while I was there. I couldn’t find anything locally because the weather here is so nice and warm all year round there is no need to wear a coat or jacket – so I ended up buying a warm coat online.

I’m glad I did because when I landed at the airport it was freezing cold and raining also. I was really happy that I had something warm to wear. In fact I wore that coat every day while I was there, whenever I had to go outside.

But apart from the week I spent there I’ve never worn it since. There’s just no need here, so it’s been hanging in my closet since I got back, for more than a year now. I’m sure it’ll come in useful again if I ever visit another cold place in the future, but it’s not something I use often nor am I likely to.

It’s a shame really because it’s really nice but I just don’t need a warm coat in my daily life here. Maybe I could lend it to someone else who is going to travel to a cold place. I’m sure they’d appreciate it.

Describe something you bought but did not use much

I bought a bread maker, thinking I would make homemade bread all the time, but I only made it once.

Why did I buy it? I bought it because I wanted to eat healthier and have more control over the ingredients that went into my bread.

I used it once to make a loaf of whole wheat bread. It was delicious, but it was a lot of work, and I haven't used it since.

I'm not sure if I'll ever use it again, but it was a fun experiment, and I'm glad I tried it once.

It was a waste of money to buy something I didn't use much. I didn't really think about it that much before I ordered it. I just saw it and thought it would be a cool thing to have.

If I had thought about it more, I probably would have decided not to buy it.

I'm glad I tried it, though. It was a fun experience, and I learned how much effort it needs to make healthy bread.

One day, I might change my mind. But for now, store-bought bread is okay.

I should have tried renting or borrowing a breadmaker to make sure I would use it before I got online and bought one. But that was my experience with something I bought but did not use much.

Describe a thing that has become a fashion or a matter of status nowadays

One example of a thing that has become a matter of status and fashion nowadays is the use of "hashtags" on social media.

People often use hashtags to indicate what they are doing or what they are interested in, and some people even use them to make their posts more visible.

Hashtags can be a fun way to connect with other people who share your interests or follow certain topics or news events.

However, using too many hashtags can make you look like you're trying too hard, so it's important to use them sparingly.

Answer:

A thing that has become a fashion or a matter of status nowadays is the use of drones.

Many people have drones and like to use them for various activities such as racing, photography, and videography, inspecting properties or crops, searching for lost items or people, providing aerial support for other activities, and performing stunts.

They have become very popular, and there are many competitions for drone enthusiasts.

Describe something you liked very much which you bought

I once bought a Lotus Elise sports car. I had my eye on it for a few years and finally took the plunge. It was easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. The car is incredible to drive and turns heads everywhere I go. I absolutely love it.

What made me finally decide to buy it?

I think it was a combination of things. Firstly, I'd been saving for a while and felt that I could afford it. Secondly, I'd done my research and knew everything there was to know about the car. And finally, I had this feeling that it was the right time to take the plunge.

I'm so glad I did. The car is an absolute joy to drive, and I've never regretted my decision for a second. If you're thinking of buying one - then go for it – you won't regret it!

I was thrilled with it! It's lightweight and fast, has fantastic handling, and is a joy to drive. I highly recommend one if you have the opportunity to test-drive one. They are not cheap, but they're definitely worth the price.

And so that's something I liked very much which I bought.

Describe something you liked very much which you bought for your home

Sample Answer:

I remember the day I bought my first house. It was a beautiful summer day, and I had just closed the deal.

I was so excited to finally have a place of my own that I went out and bought all new furniture for it. I got a new couch, a coffee table, and a dining room set.

I even got new curtains and rugs. I was so happy with my new purchases, and they really made my house feel like home.

The couch was the thing I had seen in a store a while back and liked very much, so I was glad to have it in my home.

It was comfortable and stylish, and I loved spending time on it. The coffee table was also a great addition to my living room. It was the perfect size and shape, and I loved the way it looked.

The dining room set was another great purchase. It was beautiful and well-made, and I loved how it looked in my dining room.

The curtains and rugs were also perfect for my new home. They added a touch of class and sophistication and they really brought the whole room together.

I was so happy with everything I had bought for my new home, and it all came together perfectly.

I'm glad I was finally able to find a place that I could call home. It took me a while, but it was worth it. I love my new home and am so happy with everything in it.

Purchasing new furniture for my first home was definitely a challenge. I had no idea what I was doing and didn't know where to start.

Thankfully, I found a great store that had everything I needed. The salespeople were incredibly helpful and they helped me find exactly what I was looking for.

I ended up getting a beautiful couch, a coffee table, a dining room set, curtains, rugs, and more. Everything came together perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Similar IELTS Topics

  • Describe an expensive item that you bought and regretted
  • Describe something you bought but don't use very often
  • Describe an item you bought but have rarely used
  • Talk about a product you buy regularly
  • Describe a product you bought recently
  • Talk about a product you bought but were unhappy with it

IELTS Speaking