Describe a situation when people congratulated you | Task Card


IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 Candidate Task Card

Describe a situation when people congratulated you

You should say:
  • What the situation was
  • Why people congratulated you
  • How they did it
And explain how you felt about it.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 Candidate Response

One of the most memorable times people congratulated me was at my university graduation ceremony. It was a big deal since it marked the end of years of hard work and dedication. Completing my Computer Science degree was tough but super rewarding in the end.

People congratulated me for a few reasons. First, I graduated with honors, which I'd aimed for since my first year. Plus, I had already secured a job offer from a top tech company before graduation, which added to the excitement. My family, friends, professors, and even acquaintances who heard about my success all shared their congratulations.

The way they congratulated me was heartwarming. My family, who were at the ceremony, cheered loudly as I went up on the stage to receive my degree. They even organized a surprise party with close friends and relatives after the graduation event. At the party, there were speeches, gifts, and a beautiful cake. My friends and classmates sent tons of messages and posted congratulations on social media, which made me feel really appreciated. And I congratulated them, too!

Looking back on this experience, I felt a deep sense of accomplishment and gratitude. It wasn’t just about the degree or the job - it was about everyone's collective support. The congratulations boosted my confidence and motivated me to aim even higher in my future goals. It validated that all the late nights and challenges were totally worth it.

Rounding-off question: Do you think words of congratulation are important?

Yes, congratulations are important because they affirm and encourage, highlighting achievements and motivating further success.


Similar IELTS Task Cards

This IELTS Speaking Task Card originally appeared in an IELTS Speaking Test many years ago and was asked again this week.

IELTS speaking questions are continually recycled and often appear again with a subtle change in 'wording'. But the topic and ideas are the same.

Learn to respond to one and you will also be able to respond well to all similar Task Cards.

Below are some previous (alternative) versions of the same prompt.

Describe / Talk about:

  • A situation someone congratulated you on something you've done well
  • An occasion when you received congratulations from others
  • A time when people congratulated you on an achievement
  • A moment when others congratulated you
  • An event you attended where people celebrated your success
  • An experience where you were praised by others
  • An occasion when other people congratulated you
  • An event when people congratulated you
  • An occasion when you were congratulated
  • A time when someone praised you for your actions

Good luck with your IELTS!