How to Answer What Inspires You? Best Tips & Examples

Best Tips to Answer What Inspires You? in a job interview

  • Be honest
  • Keep it short and sweet
  • Highlight your personal motivations
  • Share your values
  • Be specific about what inspires you most


The best way to answer the question "what inspires you?" in a job interview is to be honest, keep it short and sweet, highlight your personal motivations, share your values, and be specific about what inspires you most.

Honesty is always the best policy in an interview, and this question is no different. The interviewer wants to get to know you and understand what motivates you, so sharing your true inspirations will give them the best insight into who you are as a person.

Keeping your answer short and sweet is also important. This question is not an opportunity for you to give a lengthy or personal speech. The interviewer doesn’t want to hear about your life story or what motivates you in general. They want a specific example of something that inspires you most.

When highlighting your personal motivations, it’s important to be genuine. Choose an inspiration that is significant to you and that you can speak passionately about. This will allow the interviewer to see how this motivation drives you professionally.

While sharing your values is a great way to connect with the interviewer on a deeper level, be careful not to get too personal. This is still a professional setting and you don’t want to share anything that could be construed as controversial.

Finally, be specific when answering the question. Don’t just say that you’re motivated by “helping others” or “changing the world.” These are admirable goals, but they are vague and don’t really tell the interviewer anything about you as a professional.



Example answers to what inspires you

Example 1

One of the things that inspire me most is seeing people overcome adversity. I think it’s so amazing when somebody is faced with a tough situation but still manages to come out on top. It really shows the strength of the human spirit.

I also love learning new things. I’m always trying to expand my knowledge and skillset, and I think that’s something that should be done throughout one’s life.

Example 2

I’m very motivated by a challenge. I love feeling like I’ve accomplished something difficult. It really gives me a sense of satisfaction.

I’m also driven by a desire to help others. I think it’s important to use your skills and talents to make the world a better place. By that I mean, if you can use your abilities to make somebody’s life better, then you should. We all have a responsibility to help others, and I think that’s something that motivates me.

Example 3

I’m motivated by a desire to succeed. I want to be the best at whatever it is that I do. I think this comes from a competitive nature.

I’m also motivated by a fear of failure. I don’t want to let myself down, and I don’t want to let others down. This drives me to work hard and push myself to be the best that I can be.

Example 4

I’m motivated by a sense of duty. I feel like it’s my responsibility to do what I can to make the world a better place. This means using my talents and abilities to help others, and it’s something that I take very seriously.

For example last month at work we had a charity drive and I was in charge of it. Even though it was a lot of work, I was motivated by the knowledge that I was helping to make a difference. And that’s what motivates me – making a difference in the world.

Example 5

I’m motivated by my personal values. I have a strong sense of right and wrong, and I want to live my life according to those values.

This means doing things like standing up for what I believe in, even if it’s not popular, or speaking out against injustice. It also means trying to be a good person and treating others with respect.

Example 6

I’m motivated by a love of learning. I enjoy acquiring new knowledge and skills, and I'm always looking for ways to improve myself. This curiosity drives me to keep growing and expanding my horizons.

The more I learn, the more others benefit because I can share my knowledge with them. I also find that learning keeps me feeling young and alive. It’s one of the things that keeps me excited about life and my professional career.

Example 7

I’m motivated by a desire to make a difference in the world. I want to leave it a better place than when I found it.

I feel like it’s my responsibility to do what I can to make things better, whether that’s through volunteer work, activism, or simply being kind and helping others whenever I can.

When I see the positive impact I’m having on the world, it makes me feel good and motivates me to keep going.