Do people behave differently when they are in a crowded place?

IELTS Speaking Practice Icon

Do people behave differently when they are in a crowded place?

Yes, people do behave differently when they’re in a crowded place. One reason is that crowds can make people feel stressed or anxious, and they act in ways that they wouldn’t normally. For example, in a busy train station, people rush and push past each other because they feel like they need to get to their train. If the station wasn’t so busy, I imagine they’d be more relaxed and polite. So it seems the environment has a big impact.

Another reason could be that in busy areas, people feel less accountable for themselves. In a big crowd, you can get lost and feel invisible. This can lead to behaviors like littering or being less considerate of others because you think someone else will clean up the mess, or maybe your actions won’t be noticed. I’ve seen this myself at festivals or big events where people will leave trash behind, even though they would never do that in a smaller and more intimate setting.

On the other hand, some people might become more cautious and polite in a crowded space. If someone feels overwhelmed or uncomfortable in a busy place, they may be extra careful not to bump into others or cause any problems. Personally, when I’m in a busy place like a shopping mall, I find myself moving slower and being more aware of the people around me. I go into “crowd mode” where I’m more mindful of my actions.

So, in a nutshell, crowded places make us behave in ways we wouldn’t normally, whether that’s more rushed, more careless, or more cautious. The density of people around us changes how we behave depending on how we respond.