IELTS Quiz - What are some advantages of a well-designed city?
Read the high-scoring sample answer and try the quiz to test your understanding. How would you answer this IELTS speaking test question?
What are some advantages of a well-designed city? Sample Answer
A well-designed city has many advantages for its inhabitants. First, a good layout makes for better transport. When buses, trains and bike lanes are well planned, people can move around the city more easily and there's less traffic congestion. For example I’ve been to cities where the metro is so efficient I didn’t need to rent a car and it was stress free. If more cities invested in transport infrastructure, then it would reduce pollution from vehicles.
Another bonus of a well-designed city is that it makes communal public spaces like parks and squares. These are places where people can relax, exercise and socialise. For example, I used to live near a nice park, and I would meet friends there for a walk or just to sit and chat. Public spaces build a sense of community - and I suppose that if cities were more thoughtful about creating these areas, more people would spend time outside.
A well-designed city also encourages social interaction; for example, with pedestrian friendly streets and spaces designed for people to gather, people are more likely to connect with each other. I’ve noticed that cities with walkable areas have more vibrant neighbourhoods and that attracts both locals and tourists.
And, finally, there's sustainability. Cities that use green building techniques, renewable energy and efficient waste management reduce their environmental impact and create healthier living conditions, and, in the long run, save the city and its people.
In short, a well-designed or well-planned city improves daily life by having better transport, social spaces and sustainable living options - and helps to boost the local economy too.
Test your understanding
Answer all five questions, then select Check answers to see your score and feedback.