Latest IELTS Writing Questions & Answers Task 1 | Task 2

Describe a style / kind of music | IELTS Speaking Question & Answer


IELTS Speaking Part 2 Cue Card Topic Questions | Describe a style of music

Describe a style of music.

You should say:
  • Whether you like this type of music. [Why or why not?]
  • What kind of music you like best
  • What role music plays in people's life



IELTS Speaking | Describe a style/kind of music

One particular style of music I like listening to at the moment it’s what I call ‘epic’ music. It’s probably easiest to describe it as that kind of rousing music you hear in many movie soundtracks, especially movies like Lord of the Rings and such like. You know it’s a mixture of haunting melodies and grand orchestral or symphonic crescendos. A lot of people call it motivational music as well, because they listen to it in the gym or while exercising – it kind of lifts you up and gets you going because it conjures up all sorts of powerful images in your mind.

One reason why I like it is because every piece is different - there’s more variety than in a lot of pop music or other genres and there’s often no lyrics involved. I can sometimes listen to it for hours on end without getting bored with it.

As for my favorite type of music – well it all depends on what I’m doing or how I’m feeling – sometimes I watch MTV or listen to videos on YouTube or you know sometimes how you just hear a song in a movie or on the radio and you like it so you check out the artist and maybe listen to some more of their stuff. I also like some older styles of music like blues and so on, as I said it just depends – I kind of go through phases. But I guess recently I’ve been going for more music that I hear in movies than any other type, so it’s not a case of just liking pop music or heavy rock, rap or any one particular genre – it’s more a case of liking a particular song rather than preferring one genre of music.

Music is important for most people because, some people feel a connection with the lyrics of a song, or if it’s an instrumental piece it may remind them of another place or remind them of something while they listen to it. Each person is different, but obviously some music is pretty universal. For example, a good pop song with a catchy melody will no doubt be immensely popular all over the world – people identify with it, or they just feel good listening to it, or they enjoy dancing to it, or in some cases a particular song may be especially poignant or associated with an event or experience and therefore becomes a classic.

There are many reasons why music is important for people – but probably the biggest one is – like dance – and art – music is universal in how it touches people.

Follow up questions

Where and when do you normally listen to music?

The easy answer is - whenever I can and wherever I can. While I'm travelling for sure and also while I'm walking around in the street. When I'm on the internet, maybe researching and sometimes when I'm studying also. I'll either listen to music on my phone or on my laptop depnding where I am and what I'm doing.

How much time do you spend listening to music every day?

That's quite difficult to measure because I often listen to music while doing other things, but if I had to guess I reckon it would be around four to five hours a day on average.

Why is it easier for children to learn to play a musical instrument?

Well, I suppose it's because it's easier for children to learn most things. Their minds are like little sponges and soak up all kinds of new information very easily - but it might also be because they have less inhibitions than most adults who get very frustrated easily when they try to do something new or different. Children have less habits or fixed routines to overcome so doing or learning new things in general comes easier to them than a lot of adults.

Are there any benefits from learning to play a musical instrument?

Yes, I can think of a few; you need to learn or develop discipline and patience, learn and practice a new skillset depending on the instrument you learn to play and I suppose certain instruments might help develop physical and mental coordination, too.


How would you answer this IELTS speaking question about describe a style of music?

  • Do you listen to more music now than when you were younger?
  • Why do you like your favorite music, how does it make you feel?

Good luck with your IELTS speaking test!

Quick & Easy Tips to Improve Your IELTS Speaking

Essential IELTS Speaking Videos

The best IELTS tips from British Council IELTS trainers. Watching these will seriously improve your speaking for IELTS!