IELTS Speaking Part 2 | Describe a place where you go to relax

Cue Card | IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe a place where you often go to relax

You should say:
  • where this place is
  • why you go there to relax
  • when you usually go
and explain how you feel when you are there.

Sample Answer

One of my favorite havens of tranquility is the quaint little park situated at the heart of my neighborhood. Encapsulated by towering oak trees, this serene spot is a mere five-minute walk from my home, making it an easily accessible escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.

I find myself drawn to this place primarily for its calming effect on my mind and body. Amidst the chaos of daily obligations – work deadlines, social commitments, and the constant barrage of digital notifications – this park serves as my sanctuary where I can detach and rejuvenate. I usually visit during the late afternoons when the sun, a fiery orb of orange and pink, begins its descent, casting a warm, comforting glow over everything. The timing coincides with a lull in my daily schedule, offering a perfect interlude for relaxation.

The moment I step into the park, a palpable sense of peace washes over me. The chirping of birds, the rustling of leaves, and the gentle whisper of the wind create a symphony of natural sounds that soothes the soul. I often take a stroll along the meandering pathways, immerse myself in the latest novel on a secluded bench, or simply sit by the pond, watching the ducks glide effortlessly across the water.

Being there, amidst nature’s bounty, I experience an overwhelming sense of gratitude and a renewed perspective on life. The worries and stresses that once seemed monumental dissipate, replaced by a quiet confidence and an inner calm. It's almost as if the park, with its unassuming charm, grants me the clarity and peace necessary to tackle life’s challenges with a balanced mindset. In essence, this humble park is not just a place where I relax, but a sanctuary where I find solace, inspiration, and an undeniable connection with the natural world.