Speaking Topic - Favorite Color - Questions & Example Answers

Speaking Topics: Colors

What's your favorite color?

It’s actually black, well if we’re talking about colors in general. Obviously there are some things that don’t look good in black, but my car is black and I like black clothes also because they look smart even when they’re casual and you can use other colors with black so easily.

Do you usually wear clothes in your favourite colour?

Yes, frequently, I have black jeans, boots, a black jacket – I don’t usually wear all black at the same time because that would be a bit too much, you know, but it’s definitely a favorite color for clothes.

Do you prefer bright colors or dark colors?

Personally, I prefer bright colors. I find them more cheerful and uplifting.Dark colors can sometimes feel a bit heavy and depressing.

Are there any colors that have a special meaning in your country?

Yes, one that I can think of at the moment is red, it’s really special in many countries but where I come from it has deep and long history in the culture and it’s one of the most important colors for women in particular when they get married – they use red drapes and a kind of red colored henna on their hands. It’s really beautiful to see.

Do you think different types of people like different colors?

Sure, some people like pale colors and other like darker colors. Take me and my sister for example – I love black and she almost hates it, she much prefers lighter, pastel colors, especially for her clothes.

Some people prefer dark colors because they’re somber and serious and others prefer certain colors like yellow and white because they invoke a sense of serenity and peace. So, yes, different types of people like different colors.



How important is the colour of a car to you? IELTS Speaking Part 1

I don't really care about the color of a car. As long as it's a good quality car, I'm happy. Maybe black is the best color for a car because it looks classy and elegant. But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me what color the car is.

Favorite color cue card

Talk about your favourite color
- What is it?
- How did it become your favorite color?
- Does it have any special meaning for you?
And say how it makes you feel.
Model answer

My favorite color is blue. It's always been my favorite color, ever since I was a little kid. I just love the way it looks, and it always makes me feel calm and relaxed. It also has a lot of special meaning for me because it's the color of the sky and the ocean, which are two of my favorite places in the world.

I first realized that blue was my favorite color when I was about five years old. My mom had just painted my room blue, and I remember feeling so happy and peaceful when I was in there. It's been my favorite color ever since.

Whenever I see blue, it always makes me feel happy and calm. It's such a serene color, and it reminds me of beautiful places like the ocean and the sky. When I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed, looking at blue always helps me to feel better.

Blue is also a very symbolic color for me. It represents peace, tranquility, and harmony. These are all things that are very important to me, and that I strive for in my life. Seeing blue always reminds me to stay positive and to keep working towards my goals.

I love blue so much that it's actually the color of my bedroom walls! It's such a calming space for me, and I always feel so relaxed when I'm in there. If you're ever feeling stressed or down, I highly recommend surrounding yourself with blue! It really does wonders for the soul.



Next Question