Questions about Changes - Do younger or older people adapt more easily to changes?

IELTS Speaking Part 3 - Changes

Who is more prone to change: younger or older people? Why?

It’s probably older people because they may have been accustomed to doing things in a certain way and then have to, or choose to, adopt a new way of doing things. Let me give you an example; online shopping is something that many younger people have simply grown up with as a fact of life – they can’t remember a time when you couldn’t shop online.

However, many older people did their shopping the traditional way before e-commerce and business internet services became really popular, so it’s the older people who have had to change their shopping habits and not the younger people.



Who is more adaptable to changes: younger or older people?

Nowadays, it’s probably not a question of age, it depends more on the individual person. Older people are still very adaptable and although they might not be interested in some of the things that younger are crazy about or use, they still have the ability to adopt new ideas and ways of doing things.

My father, for example, grew up without the internet but through his work and because he’s interested in what technology can achieve he probably knows more about it than I do and is therefore always ready to try the next new thing – which interest him – not necessarily me. Being adaptable is very much a personal trait, not so much age related. I even know some young people who don’t like change much.

Is it easy for old people to change?

It depends on the individual and the specific situation. However, in general, it may be more difficult for older people to change than younger people, as they may have developed set ways of thinking and doing things over the years. Additionally, older adults may not be as physically or mentally able to change or adapt easily.

Is it easier for young people to change?

It may be easier for younger people to change than older people, as they may have less set ways of thinking and doing things. Young people are more accustomed to change, as they are still growing and learning.



How do young and old people react differently to new things?

There is a popular saying - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. This expression is often used to describe the idea that older people are set in their ways and resistant to change, while younger people are more open-minded and adaptable.

Generally speaking, this observation does ring true to some extent. Older people generally have more trouble learning new things than younger people because, as we age, our brains become less plastic and more rigid. It becomes harder for us to form new memories and learn new information.

Young people tend to be less shocked or disrupted by change because they're used to it. They haven't had as much time to get set in their ways yet. Change is a normal part of life for them, whereas older people may see it as a threat.

While it's true that older people may have more trouble learning new things, this doesn't mean they can't learn to change.



Do old people often change plans?

Old people tend to change their plans more often than younger people since they often have more time on their hands and can be more flexible with their schedules. However, this isn't always the case - some older people are just as set in their ways as anyone else.

Do you think you have changed as you have gotten older?

Yes, I think I've changed as I've gotten older. I'm more patient and level-headed now than I was when I was younger, and I like to think I'm wiser too. Of course, some things haven't changed - I'm still just as stubborn as ever!

Do you like changes?

Sometimes, yes - it can be nice to mix things up a bit and try something new. Other times, no - I can be quite set in my ways, so I don't always like change for change's sake. Ultimately, it depends on the specific change in question.

Describe a situation where you had to adapt to change

There was a situation at work where I had to adapt to change. One of my colleagues left and their old job was not filled with a new hire. So I had to take on their workload in addition to my own. It was a lot of extra work, but I managed to adapt and get everything done. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it in the end.

The most challenging aspect of the change was managing my time effectively to get everything done. I had to be very organized and efficient to make it work.




Can you describe a change you would like to make in your life?

There are many changes I would like to make in my life, but one of the most important ones would be to become more organized and disciplined. I often find myself forgetting important tasks or appointments, and this can lead to a lot of problems. Becoming more organized would help me to be more productive and efficient, and it would also reduce a lot of stress.

Another change I would like to make is to be more active and exercise regularly. I have always been fairly sedentary, and as a result, I have not been very healthy. Exercise would help me to improve my health and fitness levels, and it would also give me more energy.

Finally, I would like to change my relationship with food. I often eat for comfort or out of boredom, and this has led to me being overweight. I would like to learn how to eat more healthily so that I can improve my overall health and well-being.

Making these changes would require a lot of effort and discipline, but I am confident that they would be worth it in the long run.

I know that I would feel better physically and mentally if I were healthier and more organized, and I am willing to put in the work to make these changes happen.