IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions and Answers You Need to Know

In part 1 of the IELTS Speaking test the examiner will ask you some simple questions on topics which are familiar to you.

Learn How to Smash IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions and Answers!

These basic questions are generally easy to answer because they are about:

  • you
  • your studies or work
  • your family
  • and where you live
  • leisure time

In this section of the IELTS speaking test you can demonstrate your fluency in English on topics you will probably have spoken about many times before.

This part of the IELTS Speaking test lasts about 4-5 minutes. You can download a list of Part 1 IELTS questions at the bottom of this post.


Examples of Recent Part 1 Questions | IELTS Speaking Test

Home | Where you live

  • Can you describe your favourite room in your house and explain why it is your favorite?
  • How often do you spend time in your favourite room, and what do you usually do there?
  • Have you made any recent changes to your favourite room? If so, what are they?

Food

  • What is your favourite food, and why do you prefer it over others?
  • How often do you eat your favourite food, and on what occasions?
  • Is your favourite food common in your country? Describe its cultural significance if any.

Internet & Technology

  • What is your favourite website, and why?
  • How often do you play computer games, and do you have a favourite one?
  • In your opinion, what modern technology has had the biggest impact on your life?

Work

  • What would be your dream job, and why?
  • What steps are you taking or plan to take to land your dream job?
  • Is your dream job popular in your country? Why or why not?

Flowers

  • Do you have a favourite flower? Can you describe it.
  • How often do you buy your favourite flower, and on what occasions?
  • Does your favourite flower have a particular meaning or significance in your culture?

Personality

  • Would you describe yourself as a patient person? Can you give examples?
  • How do you practice patience in challenging situations?
  • Can being patient be difficult for you at times? When?

Memories

  • Can you share a favourite childhood memory?
  • What makes this childhood memory special to you?
  • Do you think childhood memories are important in one's life? Why?

News

  • How often do you follow international news, and through what medium?
  • Is there a piece of international news that recently caught your attention? Can you describe it.
  • Why is it important to stay updated with international news, in your opinion?

Advertisements

  • What is your favorite advertisement and why does it stand out to you?
  • Can you describe a fast food advertisement that you remember?
  • Is there an advertisement that you dislike? Why or why not?
  • Can you recall an advertisement from your childhood that left an impression on you?
  • What are the different types of advertising that you often come across?
  • Do you believe that advertisements are reliable sources of information?

Age

  • What is your favorite age so far in your life, and why?
  • How do you feel about the idea of getting older?
  • Can you describe how you felt as a child?
  • How important are birthdays to you?
  • Have you ever had a special birthday celebration? If so, what made it memorable?
  • Do you think certain ages are more difficult to navigate than others?
  • In your opinion, at what age are people typically the happiest?

Apps, Mobile Phones

  • Which apps do you use most frequently, and what functions do they serve?
  • How do you feel about using smartphones?
  • How often do you upgrade your mobile phone?
  • Do you believe children should have their own smartphones? Why or why not?
  • What do you typically use the internet for, and how frequently do you use it?
  • Do you enjoy using technology, and what is your favorite gadget?

Art, Museums, Galleries, Drawing, Painting, Monuments

  • Do you have an appreciation for art, and if so, what kind?
  • Did you receive any formal art education in school?
  • Can you recall visiting a museum during your childhood?
  • Are there any notable museums or galleries in your country?
  • When was the last time you attended an art exhibition?
  • Do you consider yourself to be creative, and why or why not?
  • Is creativity an important quality in today's society?

Books, E-books, Magazines, Newspapers, Reading, Stories, Libraries

  • Do you enjoy reading, and if so, what types of material do you prefer?
  • Did you read frequently as a child, and what types of books interested you?
  • How do you keep up with current events and news?
  • Do you believe online news sources are reliable?
  • Have you visited a library recently, and if so, what types of books do people in your country enjoy reading?
  • In your opinion, what are the benefits of reading fiction compared to non-fiction?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions with Answers 2022/2023/2024 | What You Need to Know



What are the best tips to practice speaking for Part 1 speaking IELTS?

Here are 4 tips to help you practice speaking for your IELTS test:

  1. Start by practicing speaking in front of a mirror. This will help you get comfortable with the way you look and sound when speaking English.
  2. Record yourself speaking and then listen to the recording. This will help you identify areas you need to improve pronunciation or fluency.
  3. Practice with a friend, classmate, or online speaking partner. This will help you become more confident speaking in front of other people.
  4. Read aloud from a passage or article. Not only will this help improve your fluency, but it will also help improve your pronunciation as well.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 1 Questions with Answers



Here are some frequently asked IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions from different countries, and sample answers.

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Online Shopping

Yes, I have bought shoes online. The last time was a few months ago when I needed a pair of comfortable sandals to wear during the summer. I found an excellent pair at a great price and had them delivered right to my doorstep within a couple of days. It was a very easy and convenient experience!
I usually prefer fashionable shoes as I like to be on trend with my footwear choices. However, functionality is also important and so I look for shoes that both look good and provide good support when necessary.
I feel that many online stores have really stepped up their game in recent years with more personalized options for customer support. They often provide helpful advice on sizing and product information to ensure you get the most out of your purchase. This is something that I appreciate as it makes my shopping experience more enjoyable.

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Apps

I believe that apps have become increasingly popular amongst both young and older people. In fact, according to a report from the Pew Research Center, 86% of all adults are now using smartphones and accessing mobile applications. What’s more, there is a growing trend for individuals of all ages to embrace mobile applications as an integral part of their daily lives.

Young people, in particular, are drawn to apps that provide entertainment, such as gaming and streaming services. Older individuals, on the other hand, often find useful applications for managing their finances or staying connected with family members via social media. So, it seems clear that apps have become ubiquitous across all age groups and play an important role in our lifestyles.

Mobile applications are increasingly being used to facilitate business operations and provide access to new markets. Businesses of all sizes have adopted apps as a way to increase sales and customer satisfaction.

Apps have become an essential tool for marketing campaigns across almost every industry, from retail stores to restaurants. By providing customers with easy access to products and services, businesses can gain a competitive edge.

As well as the convenience of apps, businesses also appreciate their ability to build customer loyalty. Through incentives like loyalty points and rewards, companies can reward customers for their purchases and encourage them to return again and again.

Apps have also become popular among professionals as a way to stay connected with colleagues, keep up-to-date on industry news, network with other professionals, and even manage projects remotely. Professionals from all walks of life use apps to remain organized and be more productive in their work.

Mobile Apps IELTS Speaking Part 1

Foreign Country

I recently visited Thailand and it was an amazing experience! The people were incredibly friendly, the food was delicious and the sights were incredible. I especially enjoyed swimming in the clear blue waters of Krabi and exploring the markets at Chatuchak.

I think what I liked most about Thailand was the culture. Everywhere I went, people were so kind and welcoming, and it felt like a real adventure being able to explore all the different temples, markets and restaurants. The food was also incredible - from the fresh seafood to all the unique flavors of traditional Thai dishes. It really made my trip special.

Absolutely! Thailand is a great holiday destination for anyone looking to experience something new and exciting. The landscape is truly stunning, from the limestone cliffs of Krabi to the bustling city streets of Bangkok. There are loads of activities to do, from snorkeling and diving to jungle trekking and even elephant rides through lush jungles.

Yes, I have tried some of the local cuisines from Thailand and it was amazing! I especially loved sampling the street food. Everything from grilled meats to pad thai and sweet desserts were so delicious and full of flavor. There are also plenty of restaurants offering traditional Thai dishes, which were all incredibly tasty as well.

IELTS speaking test Part 1

Traditional Clothes

Yes, I do. In fact, I have a few pieces in my closet that I love to wear on special occasions. For example, I have a beautiful sari from India and an intricately embroidered kimono from Japan. Wearing these garments makes me feel connected to my culture and heritage.

Yes, I have. My grandmother taught me how to sew and make my own garments from fabrics we bought in the market. It was a great way for me to learn about our culture and craftsmanship. I even used some of those pieces for special occasions like weddings or festivals.

Absolutely. Traditional clothing is a wonderful expression of culture and heritage, so it's important to preserve these garments and keep them alive. Not only do they provide us with a sense of identity, but they also make us feel connected to our ancestors. Wearing traditional clothing can be a beautiful way to honor our heritage and remember where we come from. It's a reminder of our roots and the values that shape us. We may not always wear it, but it's important to keep traditional clothing alive in some way.

IELTS speaking test Part 1

There are many great resources out there for learning more about traditional clothing. Many museums and libraries have exhibitions about the history of traditional garments, and there are also websites dedicated to researching different styles from different cultures. Additionally, talking to elders in your community can be a great way to learn some stories behind certain pieces or family heirlooms that you may have.

IELTS speaking test Part 1



Work

I work. I’m an IT support engineer for a large multinational corporation.

Well, it basically involves providing technical support to the company’s clients for the technology products it sells.

Mainly network solutions, so it can include all sorts of issues – but it’s primarily troubleshooting and resolving any issues clients have. It may be with a new system implementation or a sudden problem with an existing operating system.

Disadvantages? None really that I can think of... it would be impossible to do many things today without them.

Okay, maybe you could argue that computers have replaced some manual jobs. So using computers can decrease the number of jobs for people.

But then our use of computers also creates computer-related jobs which didn’t exist before, so it’s a double-edged sword, isn’t it?

Probably one of the best things is that it’s always interesting, sometimes challenging and frustrating, but no two days are the same.

There’s plenty of variety, and I’m always challenged to think through problems and come up with solutions for clients, so it keeps me on my toes.

I guess so, it’s a great job, and I enjoy it. So I’ll probably stick with it for a few more years. Then maybe I'll think about trying something different or extending my knowledge so I can get involved in managing more complex projects.

Not really something new – but obviously, I need to be continually updating my skills and knowledge.

So it’s likely that in the future I’ll study other related technical areas in greater depth – or maybe look at widening my knowledge base, including some management studies. I haven’t really decided yet if that’s the direction I want to go in.

Part 1 IELTS Speaking

Answer:

In my opinion, the best time for work is in the morning. I find that I have more energy and focus in the morning, and can get more done before lunchtime.

Of course, this may not be possible for everyone, depending on their work schedule. Some people may find that they are more productive in the afternoon or evening. Ultimately, it is up to each person to discover what time of day works best for them.

Part 1 IELTS Speaking

Answer:

The most challenging aspects of my job are the constant changes. Every day is a new learning experience, and I never know what I will need to face. It's exciting to be constantly pushed out of my comfort zone, and I love the challenge of finding innovative ways to solve problems.

Every day is also different, which keeps things interesting. No two days are ever the same, so I'm never bored. I really enjoy working on various projects and tasks and not having to do the same thing day in and day out. It keeps me engaged and motivated.

Part 1 IELTS Speaking

Answer:

My greatest achievement in my job has been to lead my team through a difficult transition while maintaining our high level of customer service.

When I was promoted to manager, the team was struggling and morale was low. I worked hard to get to know each employee and understand their strengths, and then I restructured the team to play to those strengths.

The result was a happier and more productive team, and our customer satisfaction ratings remained among the highest in the company.

There are a few popular careers that young people in my country aspire to. These include roles in the financial sector, technology companies, and management consulting firms. Many young people also see entrepreneurship as a viable career option. There is a growing trend of young people wanting to have a positive impact on society, so careers in social work or nonprofit organizations are sought-after.

Part 1 Speaking IELTS with Answers

Answer:

Any job that requires focus and attention to detail. Some examples might include accountants, auditors, architects, engineers, graphic designers, and surgeons - these jobs require high concentration.

IELTS Speaking Topics Part 1

Answer:

I usually wake up at 5:30 a.m., take a shower, have breakfast, and then leave for work at 6:50 a.m. I work from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and then I come home and make dinner. I usually go to bed around 10:00 p.m.

Answer:

My boss is the one who helps me the most at work. He is always willing to give me advice and help me solve problems.

IELTS Speaking Topics Part 1

Answer:

I don't really like working overtime, but sometimes it is necessary. For example, if we have a lot of deadlines to meet or if there is a big project that needs to be finished.

IELTS Speaking Topics Part 1

Answer:

The most challenging aspects of my job are dealing with difficult customers and trying to meet deadlines. Sometimes it can be very stressful, but I try to stay calm and just do my best.

IELTS Speaking Topics Part 1

Answer:

I would like to see more communication and collaboration between departments. I think it would make things run more smoothly and efficiently.

IELTS Speaking Topics Part 1

Answer:

I try to be a good team player and help out where I can. I also try to be upbeat, even when things are tough. I think it makes a difference and helps create a better work environment for everyone.

Part 1 Speaking IELTS with Answers

Answer:

I try to stay calm and just do my best. I think it's important to be professional and respectful, even when the situation is challenging. Although it can be difficult, I think it's important to keep a positive attitude.

Part 1 Speaking IELTS with Answers

Answer:

I take a few deep breaths and try to focus on the task at hand. I remind myself that it's just a temporary situation and that I can get through it.



Lists

Part 1 IELTS Speaking

I'm constantly making lists, though I will admit that I don't always follow them. It's more of an obsession at this point.

A to-do list is essential for me because I have a terrible short-term memory and tend to forget things unless I write them down.

At the same time, I get notifications on my phone to remind me to do these things. And I'll just ignore them. So I don't know how useful it is. But it's certainly better than trying to, you know, memorize stuff.

Part 1 IELTS Speaking

I can't make up my mind about this because I'm always using my phone. I work online, so it's become a necessity for me; however, it's easy to use both.

It can be bothersome to lug around a piece of paper, but I enjoy the act of writing things down.

Maybe it's because paper seems more real, I don't know. But on a phone, you can just swipe and ignore notifications, which is much easier than ignoring an item in person.

In the end, I rely on my cell phone more often than not for lists, shopping lists, or even general reminders of what I need to do today or next week.

I always make lists before I go shopping because I enjoy it. You know, for groceries and everything else. That does sound a little strange. We have a fantastic farmer's market here in New York City. And every week, I bring home around five or ten pounds of goods.

However, I need a list since I'm buying for the entire week. If I forget anything, my meal planning will go down the drain. I have a pretty bad short-term memory, so I rely on lists to help me remember things that I would otherwise forget.

Part 1 IELTS Speaking

Honestly, I don't know why some people don't like making lists. Maybe they have great memories and can remember stuff without writing it down.

But if you ask me, making lists is a great way to organize your thoughts and make sure you don't forget anything important.

It's a bad habit that many people have. They may be trying to shed this behavior and find joy again in life by making new Lists of Life (LOL).

They may be just weary of creating lists all the time. So they decided, hey, what's the point of making lists? And then just give up?

But I mean, overall, I believe it is beneficial even though I don't always follow my lists. But it's still better than doing nothing.



Street Markets

Answer 1:

Yes, I often go to street markets because they offer a great variety of fresh produce and goods. I also find that the prices are usually very reasonable. Additionally, I enjoy the lively atmosphere of most street markets.

Answer 2:

No, I don't often go to a street market because I'm not really a fan of crowds. I prefer doing my shopping in malls or supermarkets where it's less crowded and more organized. Plus, I find that the prices in street markets are often more expensive than in malls or supermarkets.

How often do you go there?

Answer:

I typically go to a street market once or twice a week.

What do you usually buy there?

Answer:

Fruits, vegetables, and sometimes meat or fish if they have it. I also like to buy spices and other cooking ingredients from my local street market.

Watches

There are a few reasons why some people wear expensive watches. For some, it may be a status symbol or a way to show off their wealth. Others may view it like an investment piece, something that will hold its value over time. And for others still, it may simply be a matter of taste and style – they appreciate the finer things in life and enjoy wearing a luxurious watch. Whatever the reason, there’s no denying that expensive watches can make quite a statement.



Famous People

I see famous people in the news online quite often. I think it's because public figures are always in the news, whether they're doing something good or bad. It's easy to become obsessed with celebrities because we see them so often.

IELTS speaking Part 1 question and answer

Yes, I definitely think they do because they're always in the public eye. People look up to them and aspire to be like them, so it's important that they set a good example.

Some advantages of being a famous person include the fact that you have a lot of people who admire you and look up to you. You also have access to a lot of resources and opportunities that other people don't have.

However, there are also some disadvantages to being a famous person. For example, you may have less privacy and be under constant scrutiny from the public. You also may have to deal with people who are only interested in you because of your fame and not because they actually care about you as a person.

IELTS speaking Part 1 question and answer

Collecting

Many people in my country collect things. They are the kind of people who are very interested in whatever they collect. Some collect stamps, coins, or other items of value, or that are rare or unique. Others collect things that are important to them for sentimental reasons. Whatever the reason, collecting things can be a fun and rewarding hobby for many people.

Part 1 Questions and Answers | IELTS Speaking Test



Environment

There are many ways in which people in my country engage in environmental protection.

One way is by conserving energy. For example, we might use energy-efficient appliances or turn off lights when we leave a room.

Another way is by recycling materials such as paper, glass, and metal. And yet another way is by reducing our consumption of plastic packaging, which does a lot to contribute to environmental protection.

Family

There can be a few reasons why some young people may not want to work in their family business.

For one, they may feel like they have no choice in the matter and that it's been predetermined for them.

Additionally, they may not feel like they have the same freedom or opportunity to grow within the company if they stay within the family.

Also, some young people prefer to seek careers that most family businesses can't provide.

Reading Habits

I'm a pretty avid reader. I would say that I read something every day, whether it's a news article, a blog post, or a book. I'm mostly interested in non-fiction, but I'll read just about anything that catches my attention.

I'm mostly interested in books about history, science, and current affairs. I also enjoy reading biographies and memoirs. Occasionally, I'll read a work of fiction if it looks particularly interesting.

I find reading to be a very enjoyable and relaxing activity. It's also a great way to learn new things and expand my horizons. Additionally, I think that reading is an important part of being a well-rounded individual.

Culture

In my country, people usually spend a public holiday with family and friends, or by engaging in leisure time activities. Some popular activities include going out to eat, watching movies, or taking trips. Many take the opportunity to do some shopping, as many specialized stores offer sales during holidays.

Answer 1:

No, we don't have special costumes that we wear on occasions. However, some people might dress up in traditional clothing if they are attending a cultural event or something similar.

Answer 2:

People in my country wear special costumes on several occasions. The most common time is when they celebrate a national holiday. Other times include religious festivals, weddings, and funerals.



Mobile Phones | Cell Phones

It is difficult to say how mobile phones will change in the future as technology is always evolving.

However, it is likely that they will become more sophisticated and have a greater range of features. For example, they may be able to connect to the internet at even higher speeds or have better reception in low-signal zones - where there is almost no coverage.

Some people prefer to get their mobile phones repaired, while others opt to buy new ones. There are a few factors that can influence people's decisions, such as the cost of repairs and the severity of the damage. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.

Weather

Most people in my country prefer dry weather. However, there are some people who prefer wet weather because it helps to cool down the temperature. Dry weather is generally more comfortable to live in, but wet weather can be refreshing and fun to play in. Personally, I don't mind dry or wet weather.

IELTS Part 1 questions

There are a few problems wet weather brings in my country. The roads can become very slippery and dangerous to drive on. Flooding can occur in low-lying areas. And heavy rains can lead to power outages and disruptions in public transportation.

Photography

Some people in my country learn photography skills by taking classes, while others learn through online tutorials or by reading books. There are also many people who teach themselves about taking photos. Photography is a popular hobby in my country, so there are many resources available for those who want to learn.

IELTS speaking Part 1

Children

I used to spend a lot of time outside when I was a child. I would explore the neighborhood, go on hikes with my family, and play sports with my friends. I was always very active and loved being outdoors.

No, all children are not born with the same talent for things.

Some children may be born with a natural ability for certain things, but others may have to work harder to develop those skills.

All children are unique and have different strengths and weaknesses. If we all had the same talent, life would be boring, wouldn't it. We wouldn't appreciate special talent.

Schools can support talented children by providing them with opportunities to develop their skills. This can include things like after-school clubs, special classes, or even working with outside organizations. Schools can also help talented children by providing resources and support to help them reach their full potential.

TV advertisements influence children in both positive and negative ways.

On the positive side, ads can introduce kids to new products and ideas that they may be interested in. They can also teach kids about things like healthy eating and exercise.

On the negative side, ads can be very persuasive, and children may end up wanting things that they don't really need after they watch advertisements on TV. Older children may even become obsessed by things they have seen in TV advertisements and it can affect their mental health.

Every family is different, and every child is unique. However, some general positive advice parents could give their children would be to encourage them to be curious and explore the world around them.

It is also important to instill a sense of empathy in children so they can understand and respect others. Do children follow parental advice?

Sometimes yes and other times no, but parents should always give the best advice for their children even if they might not follow it.

It's also vital to give children lots of positive feedback when they do well. It's also vital to learn how to give negative feedback in a constructive manner.

No, parents nowadays tell their children different stories than in the past.

In the past, parents would tell their children stories about things that happened in their lives or things that they had heard from other people.

Nowadays, parents are more likely to tell their children stories about things that they have seen on TV or read about in books rather than the same stories they were told when growing up.



Daily Routine

People drink coffee more often than tea in my country.

A lot of people start their day with a cup of coffee, and many workplaces have coffee machines for employees to use.

Tea is also enjoyed, but usually not as much as coffee.

A popular weekend activity among young people is to meet up with friends to drink coffee and catch up and maybe have an interesting conversation.

Dictionary

Well, it depends on where I am. If I need to use a dictionary and there’s Wi-Fi available, I’ll usually use one of the online dictionaries from Oxford or Cambridge or access them on my phone. So that wouldn’t be using an old fashioned dictionary or an electronic one.

Most places I might go have internet access, so I can’t remember the last time I used anything other than an online dictionary. I have an electronic dictionary at home and some traditional hardback reference dictionaries, but I haven’t used them in years.

I’d consider it a good idea if maybe it was a dictionary which wasn’t available online, you know, a specialized area or field which the dictionary dealt with.

Then it would seem to be an excellent idea for a gift, but with all the reference sites and dictionaries available on the internet, I really can’t see the point in gifting a traditional dictionary anymore, unless, of course, the person lives someplace where there’s no internet access provided.

It might be interesting if it’s for words that haven’t already been documented elsewhere. I wouldn’t fancy just duplicating or doing something very similar to an existing dictionary. But if it was a new dictionary or a new type of dictionary, then it could be interesting.

Technology

Yes, and many people are happier now than before. They have lots of things they can do that are interesting and don’t depend on their friends so much for having fun or entertainment.

How might technology affect us in the future?

We could probably expect to see further changes in personality and behavior as well. Much of the technology being introduced at the moment is changing the way we interact with other people.

I’m sure in the future, there will be even more innovations that make us question the way we do things at the moment or make us change our behavior.

I can think of a couple of ways technology changed storytelling. In the past, if you wanted to hear a story, you would have to go to someone who knew the story and ask them to tell it to you. Now, with the internet, we can access real life stories from all over the world with just a few clicks. We can also create our own stories and share them instantly.

Art

I like art because it can express emotions, thoughts, or ideas. Art can also tell a story. It's interesting to see how someone interprets the world around them through their artwork.

I love art! It's a great way to express yourself and your creativity. I think it's important to have in your life.

I like all forms of art, but if I had to choose one it would be painting. I love how you can take a blank canvas and turn it into something beautiful. It's like magic.

I am best at painting and drawing. I love using bright colors and patterns in my paintings and often draw inspiration from nature or everyday objects. I also enjoy sculpting and working with clay. I often make figurines or abstract sculptures.

I was raised in a family that valued the arts and had many opportunities to engage with various art forms throughout my childhood. My parents took me to see countless art exhibitions and performances, and I was enrolled in after-school art classes from a young age. As a result, art has always been a central part of my life and continues to be one.

Yes, I used to draw and paint a lot when I was younger. I also used to do a lot of crafts with my mom. I loved making things out of paper, yarn, and fabric.

Yes, I learned how to draw and paint as a child. My parents enrolled me in art classes at the local community center, and I loved going to them. I would spend hours upon hours drawing and painting, and it was always a great way to express myself. I still enjoy doing art today, and I think it's something that has helped shape who I am as a person.

No, I never really did any artwork when I was a child. I didn't have any interest in it. I thought art was something other people did, not something I could do. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that art is something anyone can do. It doesn't matter if you're a child or an adult - art is for everyone. There are no rules or limits. You can just create whatever you want.

I once bought a painting from an artist at a fair. It was an abstract landscape and I liked it. However, I don't buy paintings very often.

Yes, I think art is an important part of life. It can express emotions and feelings that words cannot describe. Art can also tell stories and provide insight into different cultures. It can be used to communicate messages and ideas, as well as to create something beautiful.

There are many benefits that people can enjoy by participating in art.

Art can help to improve one's mood, it can be a form of stress relief, and it can also help to boost one's self-confidence.

Additionally, art can help people better understand and appreciate the world around them, and it can also promote creativity and imagination. Ultimately, participating in art can be an enriching experience for everyone involved.

Many people would say that art is very important in the lives of people. It can provide a creative outlet, allow for self-expression, and help people to better understand and appreciate the world around them.

While some may place less importance on art, it is undoubtedly a significant part of many people's lives.

I think art is important because art can be therapeutic and it enhances our lives and makes us more well-rounded individuals.

There are several reasons why people might enjoy having artwork in their homes.

For some, it may be a way to express their personality or taste. Others may appreciate the beauty of the art itself or find that it provides a source of calm and relaxation.

Additionally, many people view art as an investment and hope to see it appreciate in value over time. Whatever the reason, there is no doubt that artwork can add significantly to the enjoyment of one's home.



Music

Lots of different types of music such as hip-hop and pop, but at the moment I'm listening to a lot of movie soundtracks while I’m studying.

Every day. I listen to music whenever I can, so almost all day long. When I’m in class, I can’t, but when I’m traveling, I usually listen to music, and when I’m out walking, too.

Some nights I go to sleep listening to music because it relaxes me.

No, it’s quite different, what I listen to now, my taste has changed as I’ve grown up – I think that’s quite normal though, isn’t it? I also listen to a much wider range of music now than when I was younger.



Where You Live

It’s a modern house, in the suburbs, about 20 minutes from here.

Yes, sure, it’s quite an old house, my family has had it for three generations and it’s quite big.

There are 5 rooms, bedrooms that is, 2 bathrooms, a huge kitchen, then there’s a dining area, and also a living area, and some other smaller rooms for doing laundry and storage and things like that.

We also have quite a large garden which is full of trees and plants and flowers, so it’s really nice.

I like my room and the garden in particular, but I like the whole house. It’s old and has a lot of character and good memories attached to it, so I like everything about it. My family has been very happy living there for a long time.

Nothing, really, I wouldn’t change anything – I think it’s perfect the way it is.

It has everything we need, it’s in a nice neighborhood, and we all love it, so I can’t think of anything I would like to change about it.



Computers

If I’m writing something I prefer to use a computer. I find it easier to organize things like that. But if I need to read many things for my studies, I prefer to read books or printed documents rather than read a lot on screen or online.

So it really depends on what the actual task is. I don’t mind doing some research online, but if I know I’m going to have to do a lot of reading or it’s a long document – then I’ll usually print it off or download it and then sit and browse through the hardcopy, highlighting the parts that are important for me.

Well, first, they’re essential nowadays. Second, computers allow you to access anything and everything in terms of information and services, which makes life so much easier.

And third, with a computer, or even a phone, you can contact anybody, anywhere, anytime. So it makes communication so easy and you can stay in touch with your friends or any family member if they are in different parts of the country.

And there are lots more reasons why they’re good – you could explain every benefit of every application; the list is so long it would take forever.

I’m not interested in learning anything more about computers, like how to fix them or how they work. I’m happy just using them for whatever I need to do.

I’m not concerned about how something appears on the screen, you know, the technical processes that happen inside the processor. I just want to use the computer or app and its features. As long as an app has a help menu, I’m okay.

Emails

I am studying for a law degree and need to read many documents on different topics related to articles of my country's constitution.

The emails I receive usually come with attachments, texts in PDF format and some in Word.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Email is an excellent tool for work or school, as it is more formal and even conventional. But to send a friend of mine a message, I prefer WhatsApp messenger because it is more direct and instant. And there are also all the tools for decorating your messages, like emojis.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

I often forget to check messages in my inbox because email is not a priority. My teachers are sometimes upset because most of my classmates fail to open assignments they send by email. So they send us WhatsApp messages to notify us about emails.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Not really. My day consists of downloading information that teachers send me every day. Most of the emails are very long texts that I must read and analyze. That's why advertising messages bother me a lot because they invade my email inbox, and I have to delete them all the time.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Transportation

I use buses, trams, the subway, and taxis or an Uber. I use whatever gets me to where I'm going the fastest. But I guess I have used Uber more than any other transportation option recently.

I would say so. I find it cheapest to take the bus, and a monthly pass is a little over $100.

Gas prices are steadily rising, which makes using my car daily more expensive.

And taxis are becoming more expensive too, so many people use rideshare apps because they're often cheaper.

If you travel every day like me, transportation costs can quickly add up!

There is a huge difference in the frequency of buses. If you miss a bus in a village, you might wait an hour for the next one. But in cities, buses come every 20 minutes or so, if not more frequently during rush hour or late at night.

Cities also have a variety of different types of transportation, like taxis, buses, trams, trains, rideshares, and so on.

Overall, transportation is better and more varied in big cities than in smaller towns and villages.

Hometown

I'm going to have to go with my hometown. I grew up there, and it's just a more natural place for me.

I also feel a loyalty to the place where I come from, even though some people see that as being shut-in or not cultured enough. But some of my oldest frinds have stayed in the same place all their lives.

Plus, when you live in a particular city long enough, it can get "samey" but when you grow up somewhere else... every time you return is like walking into a whole new world again.

But living away from your hometown means less attachment and responsibility on your part - you aren't always worrying about things happening back at home while you're gone!

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Hometown

I love the beautiful farms and wide-open spaces out here. The sky is so blue - it's like someone painted it. I still can't believe that I live somewhere where stars shine at night and clouds hang in the sky during the day.

When we were kids, our mom would tell us before bedtime stories about how "magic" happened when we went to sleep because everything looked a little different when we woke up or went outside after sunset.

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Hometown

Yes. I visit my hometown regularly. I try to go home, even if it's just for a day, every few months so that I can spend time getting caught up with friends and family after being gone for months.

No matter how far away I am from my hometown I always stop by once in a while to see what's going on and to keep in touch with old friends/family members.

It helps me remember all the good times I had when I was younger. So yeah, I enjoy visiting my hometown and try to do it regularly.

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Hometown

Answer 1:

No, I don't think so. As you get older, it becomes harder to stay connected with friends and family. It's much easier to find the same sort of things all over a big city than in a small town.

Answer 2:

Absolutely! In my hometown, there's simplicity and fewer crowds to deal with. I can take trips to events that I wouldn't be able to enjoy if I stayed in the city, then come back refreshed.

All-in-all, it's a great quality of life.

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Hometown

There are plenty of things for young people to do in my hometown. There are parks, malls, movie theaters, and restaurants. Plus, there are always events going on downtown. There's never a dull moment!

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Hometown

Primary School

1. I went to a fairly normal primary school; it was nothing special. It was a very small school with a playground, swings, and extensive grassed areas. The classrooms were old, and the desks had ancient ink wells in them.

I remember that we got to play outside during recess and lunch breaks, which is not how schools are set up now. There were acres of green fields behind it that would flood during rainstorms, but somehow they never took any steps to prevent it - it just happened whenever it did.

2. My first school was St. Benedict's Catholic School – located nearby in Hollywood Hills. It's a private independent school.

The mascot of the private elementary school is an eagle, and they are known for their fantastic basketball team.

The school had three old buildings on campus and a recently added high school building. The new part was equipped with state-of-the-art technology and classrooms.

Outside, there were parking facilities, landscaping, and games fields. There were also basketball and tennis courts.

I have not been there since about fourth grade, so I don't know what it's like nowadays.

Wildlife

India. India is home to around 4500 tigers - but poachers kill at least 100-200 each year. So the number of wild tigers has been decimated over the years due to human neglect and greed. That's why I would like to see them in the wild before it's too late.

Also, the blackbuck is a beautiful antelope found on the plains of northern India, parts of Pakistan, and eastern Iran. The males have distinctive white markings from head to tail with horns that spiral around their faces in a double turn. I'd love to see them grazing wild on the mountains.

1. The South Pacific islands have many tropical beaches and jungles with plenty of wildlife like pygmy possums, tree kangaroos, and forest dragons. For example, in Fiji, you can find Fiji banded iguanas living among other exotic animals such as sea lions.

2. Here in Kenya, if you want to see leopards and cheetahs, you should go to the Masai Mara. If you would like to see wildebeests and zebras, go to Serengeti National Park. And if you're looking for common animals like monkeys and giraffes, then the West Highland National Park is a popular tourist destination because it has plenty of wildlife there.

Yes, I've never met someone I didn't like - it's usually the opposite. Meeting new people is probably one of my favorite things to do and my favorite way to pass the time. Anyone who disagrees with that sentiment has no happiness in their life and I feel sorry for them because if they can't find joy (and make other people happy) from meeting new people, then what's left?

I feel so happy when people return my greeting with a polite hello, thank you, or another greeting. I know they care. Sometimes it's hard to find the words, but making eye contact and saying 'hello' goes a long way towards communicating our intentions.

I generally lay low during the weekends and try not to work too hard. I'll either go wakeboarding on a sunny day or do some gardening. In general, I try to maintain my relationship with nature through enjoyable activities outside as often as possible to keep myself grounded and keep me from feeling off balance when the weekdays get hectic at work.

Okay, so on Saturday, I had brunch with my family, and then later at night I met up with someone from work and we went out to see a movie.

On Sunday, it was just a normal day. I hung out with friends, relaxing and playing video games. We ordered some food to be delivered, and we had a super time together.

1) Maybe ride my bike to the bookstore and find a new book, or go to the library or thrift store.

2) Bring up a podcast show in iTunes, like The DFW Cast or Serial, and listen to it while I work on projects around the house.

3) Be unemployed for a while. It's not because I don't want a job, but because weekends are just precious as they are and if there's something fun to do then you should be doing that instead of working so much!

4) Walk some dogs from an animal shelter with my girlfriend. She wants to get more experience before she starts pursuing her vet tech degree at VTNHA.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

City Life

I'm from a small town where it's safe to walk around at night.

Big city life can be tough on people that aren't used to it. I think that living in a small place and living in a city are both nice, depending on what you're into.

If I had to choose between living in a big city or a small town, I would prefer living in a big city for the opportunity and to explore new things and places.

But if safety is your number one concern anywhere in the world, then people might prefer living in smaller town or village.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Many people assume that any place is okay for young people to grow up, but it depends on the person. In some sense, I guess it all comes down to what you think of as a good everyday life.

If you have a good job and kids, then going wherever your work takes you might be a priority. And kids can enjoy living anywhere.

But if you want a quality of life where you can feel comfortable letting your kids run around freely in the countryside, city environments won't be so appealing for you.

As for me, if I were young again, I'd love to grow up in the countryside near my grandparent's home because it's so tranquil and natural there.

But I think there are advantages for young people growing up in the countryside and in a big city.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Yes, it's great for young people to grow up in, but it doesn't have the best job opportunities.

My city is particularly known for being an amazing place to raise a family with scenic views of its rivers, mountains, and forest. Also, it has plenty of quality schools that are sufficiently funded.

But if you're somebody who's looking for work, it's an expensive place to live, and a lot of young people end up driving out to Silicon Valley or Seattle to find higher paying careers to make ends meet or stay afloat financially.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Musical Instrument

I started playing the cello when I was in the fifth grade and continued playing through college. I loved it but eventually stopped playing because I didn't have enough time to practice. Even though I don't play anymore, I still appreciate the beauty of a well-played musical instrument.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Yes, I did. I learned to play the trumpet when I was in elementary school. It was a lot of fun learning how to play an instrument, and I enjoyed playing in the school band. Even though I eventually stopped playing the trumpet, I'm still glad that I took the time to learn how to play one.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

There are a lot of benefits to learning to play a musical instrument. It helps develop a skill that you can enjoy for your entire life. Also, when children learn music, it improves cognitive function and memory, increases empathy and social interaction, and even reduces stress levels.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

In my opinion, we should encourage children to learn to play a musical instrument! It's a fantastic way for them to develop their creativity and express themselves, and it can provide lifelong enjoyment.

There are so many benefits to learning to play a musical instrument at a young age! Not only does it help with cognitive development and focus, but research has also shown that it can improve academic performance as well.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Free Time Activities

I like to read, go for walks with my best friend, watch documentaries and eat healthy foods.

Reading is a great way to learn new things and expand your worldview. Walking is a great way to get some exercise and fresh air. Watching documentaries can be informative and thought-provoking. Eating healthy foods is important for maintaining good health.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

In my country, people love spending their free time outdoors - camping, hiking, fishing, and so on. Another favourite leisure activity is watching movies or TV shows. Many people also enjoy reading books, playing video games, and spending time with friends and family.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Eating Habits

I prefer eating out, but I also enjoy cooking at home. There are a lot of benefits to both.

Eating out can be a lot of fun, and it's a great way to try new dishes that you might not make at home. But restaurants can also be expensive, and it's easy to end up overeating if you're not careful.

Cooking at home is a great way to save money, and you can customize your meals exactly the way you want them. You also control how healthy they are, which is ideal if you're trying to eat better or lose weight. But cooking can also be time-consuming, and it's not always easy to find the ingredients you need.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

I watch television very rarely. In fact, I can count the number of times I've watched TV in the past year on one hand.

TV is a huge time-suck, and it's detrimental for you. Researchers have found that watching TV for just three hours per day increases your risk of heart disease by 18%.

Plus, when you're glued to the tube, you're not doing anything else productive or healthy like reading, exercising, or spending time with friends and family.

I prefer to not watch TV and find something more productive to do with my time.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

It depends on the advertisement. Some advertisements are entertaining, while others are annoying and invasive. I usually prefer not watching TV advertisements - but they are a necessary part of the television industry.

Overall, I think advertisers could do a better job creating more engaging and entertaining ads.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

There are pros and cons to both options. Watching films on TV typically costs less, but the experience can be less immersive than watching at a movie theater.

Theater-goers typically have a better view of the screen and can enjoy the surround sound experience, but tickets tend to be more expensive.

For the overall experience, I prefer to watch films on the big screen!

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Yes, it is important to me to eat healthy food. I believe that a healthy diet is a key factor in maintaining good health and preventing chronic diseases.

A healthy diet is foods that are low in sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats, and high in fiber and antioxidants. A healthy diet includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lean protein. I try to make sure that my diet is balanced and includes all of the essential nutrients that my body needs.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

I try not to use my mobile phone too often, especially since I got a new one. I find that it's too easy to get addicted to checking my mobile phone constantly, and it's been hard for me to break the habit.

I know that many people are really attached to their phones and can't go more than a few minutes without checking them, but people need to be mindful of how much time people spend on their phones and what they're using them for. I'm trying to be more intentional about how I use my mobile phone and maximize the time I spend on things that are actually more important.

IELTS Speaking Part 1



IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Old Buildings

What is the oldest building you have ever seen?

How did it make you feel when you saw that old building?

Do you think old buildings are important to preserve for future generations?

In what ways do these old buildings contribute to society?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Higher Education

What is your opinion on higher education?

Do you think it is necessary to pursue a degree or can one acquire the same knowledge from other sources?

How important do you think university rankings are when choosing a college?

In what ways does higher education benefit society?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Car Trip

What do you remember most about your first car trip?

How has your approach to taking a road trip changed over the years?

Do you think it is important to take breaks and explore different places along the way?

In what ways does taking long trips in a car benefit mental health?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Local People

What do you think makes the people in your local community unique?

How has your relationship with the people around you evolved as you’ve grown older?

Do you think it is important to get to know and support local businesses?

In what ways does engaging with local people enrich life?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Work

What kind of future work do you think you would like to do?

How do you think your job will develop in the future?

How has the way you work changed in relation to technology?

What do you think are the advantages of working for a company versus being self-employed?

Do you think it is important to have a good relationship with your colleagues at work?

Would you like to work in a company related to your passion?

What do you think makes a successful company culture?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Wild Animals

What are the benefits of preserving wild animals?

How can we better protect and conserve wildlife in our community?

What do you think is the best way to raise public awareness about endangered species?

Do you believe that humans have a responsibility to protect wild animals from extinction?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Skills

What skills do you think are essential for success?

How can someone go about developing their professional skillset?

Do you believe that learning new skills is important throughout one's career?

Is there a necessary skill that you mastered recently? What was it?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Uniforms

Do most students benefit from wearing uniforms to school?

Why do some employers insist on their employees wearing uniforms?

How do think people feel about wearing uniforms?

Do you think wearing uniforms can help create a sense of unity and pride among those who wear them?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Motivation

What are some ways to stay motivated when you feel bored?

How can you stay motivated when pursuing a long-term goal?

What tips do you have for staying motivated in difficult times?

IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Internet Advertising

Do you enjoy watching internet advertisements? Why? Why not?

In what ways do you think internet advertising has changed over the past few years?

Do you think that internet advertising can be effective?

IELTS Speaking part 1 | Traffic Jams

How do you feel when you get stuck in a traffic jam?

What tips would you give to someone who often gets stuck in traffic?

In what ways do you think traffic jams can be reduced?

How can big companies help reduce traffic jams?

IELTS Speaking part 1 | Tourism

What are the advantages of tourism for both tourists and local people?

Does tourism bring any disadvantages for local people?

In your opinion, what kind of attractions attract most tourists to your country?

IELTS Speaking part 1 | Memory

Do you have a good memory?

What techniques do you use to remember important things?

Are there any specific techniques that help you with remembering?

Do you think some people naturally have a good memory?

IELTS Speaking Topics Sample Answers



IELTS Speaking Frequently Asked Questions

What are the most common topics in IELTS Speaking Test Part 1?

The most frequent topics in IELTS speaking Part 1 are: family, work, study, and travel. However, there is no set list of topics that will be asked about during the test. Test takers may be asked to speak about any topic that is relevant to their lives (i.e., familiar topics).

What are high-frequency questions in the IELTS Speaking Test?

Some of the more commonly asked high-frequency questions in the IELTS Speaking Part 1 include:

Accommodation, Children, Your Country, Family, Friends, Hometown, Housework, watch TV, Reading, Music, Newspapers & Magazines, Films, Technology, Computers, Internet, Work, Jobs, Career Planning, Volunteer Work. Some questions ask about your personal experiences and others are more general; for example, "Do people in your country..." or "How do people in your country..." or "Where do people in your country..."

Are Part 1 IELTS speaking topics difficult?

Part 1 speaking topics are not difficult. They are designed to test your language proficiency answering basic questions.

Practice speaking a lot and have a good strategy, and you will do well.

One of the best ways to prepare is to know what kind of questions the examiner will ask and practice answering them in an organized and concise manner.

You can find many sample answers online to get ideas. Also, try an authentic IELTS speaking practice test to become familiar with the format.

Stay calm during the exam. If you feel nervous, take a deep breath and focus on the task at hand. The speaking section is only about 14-15 minutes long, so you'll get through it!

How is speaking in the IELTS test Part 1 scored?

Speaking in the IELTS test is scored on a band of 0-9 by the British Council or IDP education Australia IELTS examiners. The score is based on 4 criteria - Fluency and Coherence, Lexical Resource, Grammatical Range and Accuracy, Pronunciation. Each criterion is given a band score of 0-9, so your final score is the average of the 4 criteria.

For example, if your Fluency and Coherence score is 6, your Lexical Resource is 5, your Grammatical Range and Accuracy is 4, and your Pronunciation is 7, then your Speaking Test Score would be (6 + 5 + 4 + 7)/4 = 5.5


IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions with Answers PDF Download