Describe A Sport That You Enjoyed Playing When You Were Young

– which sport was it?
– who did you play with?
– where did you play it
And explain what you enjoyed most about it.


Describe a sport that you enjoyed playing when you were young

As a child, I was immensely captivated by the sport of badminton. Unlike more mainstream sports such as football or basketball, badminton had an air of elegance and finesse that appealed to me. I recall engaging in countless matches with my siblings in the quaint courtyard of our childhood home. The area wasn't particularly large, but it was more than enough for our spirited games.

Badminton was a sport that I cherished not only for the gameplay itself but also for the camaraderie it fostered among us. Despite our occasional competitive streaks, the joy of playing often surpassed the desire to win. Our games were filled with laughter and playful banter, turning the courtyard into a stage for some of our fondest childhood memories.

What I enjoyed most about badminton was its perfect blend of elegance and energy. The delicate dance of the shuttlecock through the air, juxtaposed with the dynamic movement of the players, created a spectacle that was as delightful to participate in as it was to watch.

The sport also taught me valuable lessons in precision, strategy, and teamwork, which have been beneficial in various facets of my life. Even today, the mere thought of badminton evokes a sense of nostalgia and transports me back to those carefree days of my youth.

And so that's a sport that I enjoyed playing when I was young.

Best Answer Tips

  • Tip 1: Focus on the specific aspects of the sport that you enjoyed. Talk about your experience playing the game, as well as why it was meaningful to you and how it has impacted your life.
  • Tip 2: Include a few pieces of descriptive language in your response. This will help illustrate what the sport looked like or felt like for you, and will add an emotive element to your response.
  • Tip 3: Use language that demonstrates a good command of the English language. This includes using a variety of complex sentence structures, sophisticated vocabulary, and precise grammar. This will help you score highly in the IELTS speaking test.