Actual Test for IELTS Speaking - How to Get Fantastic Results!

Sample questions from an actual test for the IELTS Speaking Section.

Part 1

Can you tell me whether you are currently studying or working?

I'm currently studying and working at the same time! I'm finishing my degree in Computer Science, while also working as a tutor for high school students. It's quite a challenge juggling both, but it's completely worth it. Plus having two jobs gives me lots of stories to tell people when they ask what I've been up to lately!

What motivated you to choose your particular field of study?

I was motivated to choose Computer Science because I wanted to learn how technology works and create solutions for real-world problems. It's an ever-evolving field with so many possibilities of what you can do with the knowledge you acquire.

What do you think are the most important skills for success in your field?

I believe that having problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and the right attitude are essential for success in my field. You need to be able to think of creative ways to approach problems and come up with solutions quickly and effectively. Also, having a good work ethic and being open to learning new things is key when it comes to succeeding in Computer Science.

Are you fond of wearing T-shirts in your daily life?

Absolutely! I love wearing t-shirts - they’re so comfortable and versatile. You can dress them up or down depending on the occasion, which is really convenient. I especially like wearing graphic tees with funny messages or cool designs to make a statement. They're always sure to lighten up any outfit and put a smile on people's faces!

How frequently do you wear T-shirts?

I usually wear t-shirts at least a few times a week, if not every day. They're such an easy and comfortable option for everyday wear - you can just throw them on and go! Of course, I have some special ones that I save for more formal occasions to dress up my look. But mostly, t-shirts are my go-to choice when it comes to casual wear.

Do you think T-shirts are suitable for special occasions?

Sometimes. T-shirts can definitely be dressed up and used for more formal events as well. You just need to find one that has a nice fit and color, and then you can pair it with something like a blazer or a skirt to dress it up. I think t-shirts are a great way to add some personality and style to your look, even on special occasions.

Do you prefer T-shirts with images or patterns on them?

I prefer t-shirts with images or patterns on them because they're more interesting and fun to wear. They can be anything from a funny cartoon to an inspiring quote, depending on your personal style. Patterns are also great because you can mix and match them with different pieces to create unique outfits. Overall, I think that printed tees are the best way to show off your personality and make a statement!

When it comes to purchasing items, do you tend to lean towards larger corporations or small businesses?

I usually prefer to support small businesses. I think it's important to show our appreciation for local entrepreneurs and help them succeed. It also helps keep money within the community and supports job growth in the area. Plus, you can usually find unique items that you won't find anywhere else when shopping at small businesses!

Have you ever had the experience of working in a small business before?

Yes, I have had the opportunity to work in a small business before. It was such an amazing experience because I got to see firsthand how a small business operates and how it contributes to the local community. It also gave me a much greater appreciation for all the hard work that goes into running a successful business.

I definitely think everyone should try working in a small business at least once in their lifetime. It's an incredibly rewarding experience!

Have you ever thought about starting your own business

Yes, I have thought about starting my own business. It's an exciting opportunity to be able to create something of your own and potentially bring in a steady income. However, it also requires a lot of hard work and dedication - something I'm sure I'm ready for! Right now, I'm focusing on finishing my studies, but someday, when the time is right, I could definitely see myself setting up my own business.

What do you think are the most important qualities for someone who wants to become an entrepreneur?

I believe that the most important qualities for someone who wants to become an entrepreneur are perseverance, creative thinking, and a willingness to take risks. You have to be prepared to put in the hard work and dedication required to make your business a success. Also, having an open mind and being creative with your ideas can help you come up with solutions to difficult challenges.



Part 2

Describe an occasion when you were late.
You should say:
- When this incident took place?
- What you were late for
- What the reasons behind your delay were
And explain how being late made you feel.


Sample Answer for Actual Test Cue Card

I remember an occasion when I was late for an event that I had been looking forward to for weeks. It happened about a year ago, and I was supposed to attend a concert with my friends. We had bought tickets weeks in advance, but on the day of the show I got caught up in some last-minute errands and completely lost track of time.

By the time I realized how late it was, it was already too late. We were supposed to be in line for the concert an hour before it started and I had completely blown that timeline. My friends were really annoyed with me and we ended up missing the opening act, which made us all pretty disappointed.

The main reason why I was late was because I had gotten carried away with completing all my tasks, and I let myself get too distracted. It's something that I know happens to me a lot - if I'm not careful, I can easily lose track of time when there are still things left to do.

I felt really embarrassed and guilty about being late since it was my fault and it affected the rest of my friends as well. I felt like I had let everyone down, and it took a while for me to build up the courage to face them again after that incident. Thankfully, they were all understanding and eventually we were able to have a great time at the concert.

Overall, it was definitely an experience that taught me an important lesson about managing my time and priorities. Since then, I've made sure to be a lot more conscious of the clock and make sure that I'm always on schedule!



Part 3

Would you consider yourself skilled in time management?

I would say that I'm definitely getting better at time management. It's something that took me a while to get the hang of, but now I'm able to plan out my day and stay on track with all my tasks. It helps that I've gotten more organized and have learned how to prioritize the important things over the less essential ones. As long as I stay disciplined and focused, I'm usually able to stay on schedule. So overall, I consider myself pretty skilled in time management!

Is punctuality valued by people in your country?

Absolutely! Punctuality is a quality that's highly valued in my country. People here take pride in arriving on time and they appreciate it when others do the same. It shows respect for other people, as well as an understanding of how valuable their time is. So yes, I believe punctuality is definitely valued by people in my country.

How can individuals effectively manage their time, especially when faced with multiple tasks or responsibilities?

The most important thing when it comes to effective time management is to prioritize your tasks. You should first identify which ones are the most important and tackle those first, while leaving the less essential items for later. Then, you can break down each task into smaller chunks and assign a timeline or deadline for yourself. This will help you stay on track with what needs to be done and keep you motivated. And taking regular breaks also means that you don't burn yourself out or lose focus. With the right approach and attitude, individuals can easily manage their time and complete all of their tasks in a timely manner.

In what ways can poor time management skills impact a person's personal and professional life?

Poor time management skills can have a serious impact on a person's personal and professional life. For example, if you are constantly late for meetings or appointments, it could give off the impression that you're irresponsible or unprofessional. This could lead to missed opportunities or even job loss in some cases. Also, having poor time management skills can also affect your relationships with family and friends. If they're always waiting for you to show up, it could strain your relationships and create tension between you. Because poor time management skills can have a negative effect on both personal and professional life, it's important to stay organized and be mindful of the time.

Do you believe that time management is a skill that can be learned and improved? Could you explain why or why not?

Yes! Time management is a skill that can be learned and improved with practice. It requires discipline, focus, and an understanding of your own priorities and goals. With the right approach, anyone can develop their time management skills over time. There are plenty of resources available online to help people learn more about effective time management practices. So yes, I strongly believe that time management is a skill that can be learned and improved with dedication and effort.

Can technology assist with time management? If so, how?

Yes I think it can! Technology can be a great tool for managing your time and staying organized. For example, you can use calendar apps or reminders to keep track of tasks, deadlines, and important dates. And, there are task management apps that can help you break down large projects into smaller chunks and monitor your progress over time. This makes it much easier to stay on track with all your responsibilities and ensure that you're meeting the timelines. So yes, technology can definitely assist with time management if used in the right way.

Do you have any tips for people looking to improve their time management skills?

I suppose my top tip would be to get organized and break down tasks into smaller chunks. This will make it easier to manage your time and ensure that you're staying on track. And try to prioritize the important tasks over the less essential ones. And, make sure that you take regular breaks throughout the day in order to keep yourself focused and motivated.



Comments