Describe a Difficult Decision You Made - Interview Question

Describe a difficult decision you made

Describe a Difficult Decision You Made

I had a difficult time deciding what to do for my career. It seems like every industry is changing so fast, and it's hard to know which path will best take me where I want to go. So, I jumped around from job to job until the right one came along.

I started working in a research lab when I was a freshman in college. During the summer after my sophomore year, I got a job at a pharmaceutical company doing clinical research. After graduating, I moved to DC and worked for an educational publisher. Then, I spent two years working with university hospitals across the country to help them implement electronic medical records systems. Following that, I went into finance and got an MBA from NYU Stern.

I've been lucky that every role has allowed me to use my diverse skill set and learn many valuable lessons along the way. Such as coding in VBA to building online communities around clinical trials. But it's been challenging trying to decide on a career path since things in this industry change so quickly!

The most difficult decision I made was returning to a traditional publishing job. After working in hospitals, the prospect of returning to a role that felt so removed from patient care was daunting. I ended up taking the job because I wanted stability, and it was just what my family needed at the time.

As things turned out, it was a wise decision, and I learned a lot. But I also ended up with two young sons and the most demanding boss ever. It was an extremely challenging time for my family and me. But we got through it together – and maybe after that experience, we were that much more committed to our dream of working full-time on Curetogether and moving to California.

I can say honestly now that I've never been happier than at Curetogether! It's the work I was meant to do, where all of my skills are put to use every day. And I love what I do here!

Today, I work in marketing for a medical device company! In addition to writing code and doing all kinds of data analysis, I spend much of my day updating social media channels and developing marketing strategies to support both our current product lines as well as upcoming ones. It's been great staying in healthcare - and I've enjoyed learning about new technology and helping people understand how it can help them in their daily lives.



Describe a Difficult Decision You Once Made - Follow-up Questions

What are the most common everyday decisions people make?

There are countless small decisions we make every day, but some of the most common ones include what to wear, what to eat, what to do for fun, and how to spend our time. Ultimately, these decisions come down to two things: what makes us happy and what's best for our health. Of course, there's often a lot of overlap between the two, but we must stay mindful of which is more important in each situation.

What is the difference between making a decision on your own versus discussing it with others?

The difference between making decisions on your own and discussing them is the amount of personal bias introduced to make it.

Since all people are inherently biased, any decision-making process results in biases. So while the decision-maker will be thinking about what they feel is right for them, other members in the discussion might have different opinions. These opinions could lead to a stronger argument that might be more positive or negative. Ultimately, all decisions should account for other viewpoints; otherwise, no enduring decision will result.



Why do some people sometimes question or second guess their choices?

They may suffer from high levels of self-doubt and insecurity. Some people who doubt their decision-making ability end up second-guessing themselves all the time, making them feel even more insecure. If this sounds like you, it's vital to take a deep breath and acknowledge that you don't always have to be correct.

What matters is that you learn from mistakes so they can become a positive part of your life - rather than something negative. Self-trust is a skill anyone can develop with practice and will benefit your life immensely in many ways. And above all else, remember to celebrate yourself as you move forward!



What are the 3 best tips for good decision-making at work?

Here are three tips for good decision making at work:

  1. Take your time. Don't rush to judgment. Often, the best decisions come after careful consideration and deliberation.
  2. Seek out multiple perspectives. Getting a variety of viewpoints will help you make a well-informed decision.
  3. Make a list of pros and cons. These can help evaluate all the potential consequences of your decision before making a final call.

Comments