"Tell Me about Yourself" How to Impress a Hiring Manager

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS : TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF

Interview Questions: Tell Me About Yourself

How to Answer "Tell Me about Yourself" in a Job Interview

"Tell me about yourself"

You've got three minutes. Go! It's the dreaded question for most job seekers, and it might just be one of the most difficult to answer in a job interview.

But don't panic! We're here to give you some strategies for how to answer the "tell me about yourself interview question" so that you can ace your next interview, get that job offer letter, and end your job search.

Employers always want to hear what makes you different from your competitors. The truth is, we're all pretty similar when it comes to finding a new job, but some things set us apart from other applicants.

You need to identify these and make the hiring manager understand you're a good fit for the job.



Here's what the experts suggest

  1. Give a summary of your work experience and qualifications
  2. Talk about what you're looking for in a job
  3. Share something unique about yourself that is relevant to the position (e.g., if they are hiring an engineer, talk about how you like to build things, solve problems, etc.)
  4. Add anything else you want the recruiter to know about you.

At the end of the interview, thank them for their time before ending with "I hope we can continue this conversation" or some other variation on this phrase.

Make sure they know that you're genuinely interested and will be available if they have any questions or need more information from you.

The key to answering the "Tell me about yourself" question is showing your personality without giving too much away.

Hiring managers are looking for someone who can thrive in their company culture, so you must show them how well you would fit into their team.

You should also have a short answer ready if they ask follow-up interview questions like "What do you know about our company?" or "Why did you apply here?"

Doing so will help keep the conversation focused on why they want to hire you and what benefits hiring YOU has for THEM!



Strategies for Answering "Tell Me About Yourself" in Job Interviews

Understand the Question: Recognize that this question is not about your personal life. It's an opportunity to showcase your skills, experiences, and personality traits that align with the job role.

Answer Strategies

  • The Past-Present-Future Approach: Begin with your past experiences, discuss your current situation, and express your future aspirations.
  • STAR Method: Describe a Situation, the Task you were responsible for, the Actions you took, and the Results you achieved. An example of the Past-Present-Future approach to answering "Tell me about yourself"

An example of the Past-Present-Future approach to answering "Tell me about yourself"

Sample Answer:

As a career coach for the past 10 years, I have gained extensive experience guiding individuals toward their professional goals. My experience has allowed me to develop strong technical skills such as resume writing, networking, and successful interview preparation.

Throughout my career, I have also had the opportunity to work with various companies and understand their unique company cultures. Doing so has helped me adapt quickly to new environments and thrive in different team dynamics.

In my current position, I have successfully coached several individuals toward landing their dream jobs, reinforcing my passion for helping others achieve their goals. However, I'm constantly seeking growth opportunities and would love to take on a management role to mentor and train other coaches.

I believe my past experiences, current skills, and future aspirations make me an ideal fit for this job. I'm excited about the possibility of joining your team and continuing to make a positive impact on individuals' careers. I am confident that I can contribute to your company's success by leveraging my expertise and passion in career coaching.

An example of the STAR approach to answering "Tell me about yourself"

Sample Answer:

As a top-performing account executive in my previous roles, I have consistently exceeded sales targets and fostered strong relationships with clients. This has allowed me to develop excellent communication and negotiation skills, further honed in my current role at XYZ company.

Here's an example of how I handle challenges in my work:

  • Situation: Recently, I encountered a difficult client who was hesitant to commit to our services.
  • Task: I needed to address their concerns and convince them of the value we offer.
  • Action: I used my strong communication skills and actively listened to their worries. I then used relevant data and success stories from past clients to address each concern.
  • Result: By showcasing the value of our services and building trust with the client, I successfully closed the deal and secured a long-term partnership for the company.

Different Situations

Below are some typical scenarios and sample answers to guide you.

1. Entry-Level Applicants

Focus on your education, internships, and extracurricular activities that demonstrate your skills and potential.

Example Answer for Entry-Level Applicants

"I recently graduated from University X with a degree in Computer Science, finishing in the top 10% of my class. During my time at university, I had the opportunity to be part of a major group project where we developed an application for efficient resource management. This project allowed me to apply theoretical knowledge in a practical setting and hone my problem-solving and teamwork skills. I also completed an internship at Company Y, which exposed me to the professional environment and provided me insight into a project management position and client interactions. Apart from academics, I held a position as the Event Coordinator for the tech club, which boosted my leadership and organizational abilities. I believe these experiences have equipped me well for a position in your esteemed organization."

Notes:

  • Educational Qualification: The mention of a degree in Computer Science establishes the candidate's technical foundation, while the distinction of ranking in the top 10% indicates dedication and ability to excel.
  • Group Project: Discussing the group project showcases the ability to apply theory in practice, problem-solving skills, and teamwork, all of which are valuable in professional life.
  • Internship Experience: The internship at Company Y provides evidence of exposure to the professional environment and experience in project management and client interactions which are essential in any job.
  • Leadership Role: The role of Event Coordinator for the tech club exhibits the candidate's leadership and organizational skills.
  • Conclusion: The final statement ties the experiences back to the position being applied for, indicating a matching between the candidate's skills and experiences and the job requirements.

2. Experienced Professionals

Highlight your accomplishments, key projects, and previous experience that tie into the position you're interviewing for.

Example Answer for Experienced Professionals

"With over 10 years of experience in software development, I have been fortunate to work on several challenging projects. While working at Company X, I led a team of developers in creating a cloud-based application that increased productivity by 40%. I also played a crucial role in migrating our company’s legacy system to a modern framework at Company Y, which improved system performance by 30%. In my most recent role at Company Z, I spearheaded the implementation of Agile methodologies, which significantly enhanced project delivery times. I am confident that my extensive experience and proven leadership abilities make me an excellent fit for this role."

Notes:

  • Professional Experience: This initial statement highlights the applicant's extensive history in the field and familiarity with the industry.
  • Company X: The project at Company X demonstrates the applicant's leadership skills, technical expertise, and direct impact on company productivity.
  • Company Y: The role in Company Y shows proficiency in modern technologies, adaptability, and a proven record of improving system performance.
  • Company Z: Implementing Agile methodologies at Company Z showcases the candidate's ability to innovate and improve processes, which can be beneficial in any project-based work setting.
  • Conclusion: The final statement confidently ties the candidate's experiences and skills back to the position being applied for, indicating their suitability for the role.

Expert Tips

  • Keep your answer concise and job-specific. Avoid telling your entire life story!
  • Use this opportunity to differentiate yourself from other candidates.
  • Practice your answer but ensure it doesn't sound rehearsed.
  • Be mindful when sharing personal details in your answer. Give the interviewer a glimpse into your personality and background, but remain professional.
  • Remember to align your experiences and skills with the interviewer's interest; this shows you're a good fit for the role and the company.
  • Pay keen attention to the interviewer's body language as it can provide clues about their interest or concern, enabling you to tailor your responses effectively.
  • Consider the Job Description as your guide, ensuring your answer showcases how your skills and experiences make you the ideal candidate for the specific role.

How would you answer this interview question "Tell me about yourself."

Which questions should I ask in an interview?

Comments