IELTS Speaking Part 2 A Barbecue Party

IELTS Speaking Part 2 A Barbecue Party

Describe a barbecue party that you went to recently

You should say:

  • When and where it was
  • The reason for the party
  • Whether or not you liked the party
  • and say what you liked most about it.





a barbecue party that you went to recently

IELTS Seaking Part Cue Card Answer:

I remember it was a Friday and I had just finished work. I walked out to my car with a bag of food in hand and drove to the party, which was on the other side of town. Luckily it wasn't too far from where I live since traffic is an issue here on Fridays.

When I got there, the people were all over by their cars chatting away. They seemed interested in the conversation they were having.

It seemed like a lot of people came because not many people had moved into this neighborhood yet, so it was weird seeing so many people there for the barbecue party!

So I walked up to them and said, "Hi!" and exchanged introductions. I noticed a pretty girl with long black hair that had some really beautiful turquoise stones in her earrings. I'm not sure what she said but it seemed like we got along well because she smiled at me when I spoke to her!

Then we all went inside the house and I talked to my friends about our lives so far for a while before they started cooking on the grill outside.

A few minutes later, people were coming up to grab food and bringing it into the party, where everyone was sitting down enjoying their meals. That's when someone told us there would be an announcement after eating because of how many people came over tonight!

We all wondered what kind of announcement it would be, and when we found out, it was a big surprise! Two of our friends announced that they were getting engaged!

We were all so happy for them, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. They've been together for a long time, and now that they're engaged, I'm sure we'll see them at many more BBQ parties in the future!

Apart from their big announcement, the party was great, and I had a lot of fun getting to know some new people! It was so good meeting all the other guests.

I can't wait for next year already as there are many more events coming up in the fall - pumpkin picking at local farms, apple picking season, which is one of my favorites, etc. - that makes me excited.

It was such an eventful night, and I felt like anything could happen - we might even end up

with some romance happening if you know what I mean. All kidding aside, everyone had fun at the party, and there were many laughs all around.

It seemed like everyone got along pretty well, which made for a great environment where people could feel comfortable to be themselves. The DJ had this incredible playlist of songs too, that kept us dancing until the very last song played out late into the evening...time just flew right by!

The night ended with everyone saying goodbye and promising to do it again soon. It was an eventful summer, but I think these are going to be memories I'll remember forever.





Discussion Questions

  • Would you rather do the BBQ cooking or prepare the food?

  • What's your favourite type of barbecue to cook on?

  • Have you ever tried any other types of barbecue like fish sauce barbeque, vegetarian grilled corn, or vegetarian brown sugar barbecued carrots with ginger-lime sauce?

  • What are your favourite things to put in a barbecue sauce and which foods do you prefer it with?