English Speaking Topics - A Thing You Bought And Are Happy About

English Speaking Topics

This topic asks about a product or something you bought which you are happy/pleased to have.

You can talk about anything you have bought and why it makes you happy (pleased) to have it.

Maybe you bought a watch, clothes, a car, an apartment/house, or a new phone.

Speaking Tips

The key words in the cue card are "pleased to have".

It would be difficult to talk about a meal or a concert ticket you bought because it is something you experience - you don't possess it (have it).

So choose a product or item you have/own/possess.

Talk about something you bought that you are pleased to have

You should say:
  • What did you buy?
  • Where and when did you buy it?
  • Why you bought it?
and explain why you are pleased to have it.


English Speaking Topics - Sample Answer

So I recently bought a new blender or liquidizer, or some people call them juicers, because my old one broke some time ago, and at the time I didn’t bother to replace it - but after a while I began to really miss making smoothies and juices, so last month I eventually bought a new one to replace the one that broke.

I bought it online from a website that specialized in kitchen equipment and supplies - and they delivered it to my home - I think it was like 4 days later, maybe.

I bought it online because the price was considerably cheaper than the ones I had seen in the local stores when I went to look, but it was the same brand and had all the same features so I thought it was a bargain.

I had to pay a little extra to get it shipped but even so it was still cheaper than buying it from the store – so I was really happy about that.

The day I got it I unpacked it and cleaned it before using it for the first time – and I made one of my favorite smoothies, which is a blend of bananas, apples and peanut butter.

Maybe it doesn’t sound so great - but when you blend it all together using frozen bananas instead of ice, and add some almond milk and some cinnamon – it’s really delicious – I’d almost forgotten just how good they were.

I hadn’t had one for a couple of months, so I made a big batch of it and what was left I stored in the refrigerator for later.

The particular model of blender I bought has some nice features like a really big jug, or bowl, and a powerful motor so it can slice and dice up even solid vegetables and juice them easily.

One of the reasons I bought it was because it was recommended on various consumer websites as being ‘the best buy’ at the moment - it also came with a 12 month warranty, which I thought was good, too. So I was really pleased with it.



How would you describe a thing you bought and you are happy about?

Describe a thing you bought and felt pleased about

I bought a new bookcase yesterday and I'm really pleased with it. It's exactly what I needed to organize my growing collection of books.

It's made of sturdy wood and has a beautiful finish. It was easy to assemble, and it looks great in my living room. I'm very happy with my purchase!

Why did I buy it?

I needed a place to put all my books! I have a lot of them, and they were starting to take over my living room. I wanted something that was made of good quality materials and would look nice in my home. This bookcase fits the bill perfectly.

What do I like about it?

I like the fact that it's made of solid wood and has a beautiful finish. It was also very easy to assemble. I'm really happy with how it looks in my living room and how it's helping to organize my space.

Would I recommend it to others?

Yes, I would definitely recommend this bookcase to others. It's a great value for the price and it's a great way to organize your space.

Related Vocabulary

  • quality: the standard of something as measured against other things like it
  • materials: the substances out of which something can be made
  • assembly: the process of putting something together
  • organize: to put things in order; to systematize

Related Speaking Topics
A Traditional Product In Your Country
An Advertisement That made you Buy A Product
A Product Made In Your Country
A Product You Bought Recently