IELTS Speaking Test UK | Did you play sports as a child?

Part 1

What is your full name?

It’s [first name] [second name/middle name] [family name/surname].

Can I see your ID?

Of course, here’s my passport.

Where are you from?

I’m actually from Brazil, but I’ve been here in the UK for a few months and I’m doing the IELTS test here in the UK before I return home.

Do you work or study?

I’ve recently graduated with a degree in Environmental Engineering. And at the moment I’m studying English. I’ve been taking an intensive English course here in London for almost 3 months.

Why do you think people choose such a subject in your country?

It’s not one of the most popular degrees, but it’s something I’m really passionate about so for me it was the perfect choice. Most of the students on my course were motivated by doing something to improve the world we live in, and environmental engineering is directly applicable and practical.

It opens the doors to many professional opportunities to be involved in worldwide projects which are all making a positive contribution and impact on the environment, both now and in the future.

Do you like dancing? Why? Why not?

I really couldn’t say that it’s one of my interests. I mean, I can dance, and when I’m at parties or special events and there’s dancing I quite like to dance. But it’s not something I’m especially good at or interested in.

Did you take dance lessons when you were younger?

Yes, I did for a couple of years. My mother actually enrolled me in ballet classes, but I finally decided it was too much hard work and not enough fun so eventually I stopped going.

In the future, would you like to learn dancing?

Maybe, at the moment I’m very busy but, sure, in the future I might take some dance classes; after all my country is famous for the Samba, so maybe I’ll find a professional teacher and learn how to do it properly one day. I’d probably get one of my friends to come along with me so we could have some fun while doing it.

Do you like to watch others dance?

Yes, now that’s the kind of dancing I like – watching other people doing it well. I was watching an old episode of Strictly a few days ago and it was amazing to see how well these people dance, but it’s like the ballet I did when I was a child, they put in a lot of work and dedicate a lot of time to become that good.

That’s not easy – you need to really want to be the best, it’s very competitive. I prefer dancing as a fun activity more than something which has to be done perfectly. But it’s amazing to see other people dancing so fluidly and with such precision.


IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

Part 2 | Cue Card Topic Question

Talk about your first experience in any sport as a child

You should say:
  • What and when it was
  • Who your coach was
  • How you felt about it
and describe any aspect of it you particularly liked/disliked.

IELTS Speaking Test | Sample Answer | First experience in any sport as a child

It was a long time ago, but I suppose it would have been playing in the school soccer team when I was in elementary school. I would have been about 10 years old at the time. I’d always loved playing soccer and spent most of my free time kicking a ball around either with friends or by myself. I was soccer-mad, you could say.

We had sports classes at school, but the first time I was involved in an organized team was when my friend and I were selected for the school soccer team. We used to train once a week after classes and the soccer matches were usually on a Saturday morning; we used to play against other schools in the surrounding areas.

Our coach was the teacher responsible for Physical Education. He was really good and used to make us train hard when we were at the practice sessions. I can remember we used to have to do a lot of warming-up exercises and running and then we’d also practice ball skills like dribbling, tackling, defending, passing and shooting. Usually, we’d finish off each session by playing a short game of five-a-side soccer.

I loved it, because at the time it was my favorite sport, so I used to look forward to soccer practice and the soccer matches at the weekend. We never won the regional soccer championship – but we were a pretty good soccer team for a couple of seasons and managed to win more games than we lost.

Really, there was nothing I didn’t like about it. The practice was fun, the other girls on the team were great, and I used to enjoy travelling to other schools to play – it was interesting to meet other kids from different places and see their schools, too.


IELTS Speaking Part 3 | Sports

Are there any significant benefits to playing sports? Why do you think that?

Sure, sports bring amazing perks, not only for your body but also for your mind and social life. Playing sports helps build discipline, teamwork, and perseverance, which are important both on the field and in daily life. Besides keeping you fit and boosting heart health, sports also help you develop mental toughness by facing challenges and bouncing back from setbacks.

Do you think children should be taught sports in school? How should it be done?

For sure, having sports education in schools is a must. It's not just about staying fit, it's also about teaching teamwork, fairness, and respect early on. Schools should blend theory with hands-on experience, so students not only read about sports but actually play them. This way, they get a full picture and develop skills that last.

Which sports are the best for children, indoor or outdoor ones? Why?

Deciding between indoor and outdoor sports for kids can be tough. Both have their perks, but I lean towards outdoor sports. They really get kids in touch with nature, spark that love for the great outdoors, and bring out their adventurous side. Plus, all that running around is great for their growing bodies. And let's not forget the Vitamin D boost from soaking up the sun, which is key for strong bones and more!

What sport would you like your children to do? Why?

I'd go with swimming for my kids. It's more than just a sport - it's a life-saving skill. Swimming gives a great full-body workout, boosts strength, flexibility, and stamina, and goes easy on the joints, so it's something they can do forever. Plus, it brings a sense of calm and discipline, which are handy traits outside the pool too. Starting swimming young not only keeps them fit but also sets them up with skills for life.