IELTS Speaking Practice - Actual Test Hong Kong [IELTS HK]

IELTS speaking test questions from an IELTS speaking test in Hong Kong

IELTS Speaking Test Hong Kong Part 1

What do you like about your job?

Really, I like almost everything about it. There's a lot of variety and I love dealing with everything related to the earth and growing things.

I think it's fascinating. I've been able to work abroad through my job and have also visited many interesting places because of my work.

Why did you choose this profession?

My grandfather was a farmer, he had a farm where I spent a lot of my time during vacations from school.

He began to teach me all about it and I think that's when I first became interested in agriculture.

When I was at school I was very interested in geography as well, It was my favorite subject, and so when I was thinking about what to study at university I decided to do Agricultural Engineering.

It seemed like the obvious choice.



IELTS Speaking Test Hong Kong Part 2

Describe a dish that you frequently have.

You should say:
- what the dish is
- how it is prepared
- why you particularly like it
and explain if you have prepared this dish yourself.

IELTS Sample Answer

Okay, so one of my favorite dishes is chicken fried rice. It’s really simple, I know, but when it’s cooked well, it’s delicious.

My mother taught me how to cook it when I was a young girl, in fact I think it was the first thing she showed me how to cook so I think that’s one of the reasons I like it so much.

You can also change it quite a lot and add some extra things to it or keep it very simple. Another reason I like it is because it’s really easy, quick and cheap to make.

So I start with some chicken, I prefer to use chicken breast because it’s tastier and generally better quality than other parts, though you can use any chicken really.

I partly cook the chicken breast by boiling it until it’s ready. While cooking the chicken I also precook the rice. I use a rice cooker as it gets the best results, but you can use just a pan of water if you want.

While the rice and chicken are cooking I prepare the vegetables or anything else I want to put in the dish.

Sometimes I put some extra things like some ham or mushrooms, but I normally just include a little onion, sliced up really thin, some green peas, and some tomatoes, again chopped up really fine with all the seeds removed.

When everything is ready and the rice and chicken have cooled down, I start to prepare to fry the rice and mix everything together.

I add a little oil to a large frying pan along with some seasoning and beaten eggs, and then add the rice, stir it up, and then add the chicken.

After cooking it a little I add the vegetables and any other ingredients, mixing it all the time.

When I think it’s ready I taste it to see if there is enough seasoning and flavour, and then it’s ready to eat.

One of the other reasons I like it so much is because you can make it for one person or many people, just by changing the number of ingredients accordingly – and almost everyone I know loves it – so it’s really easy to make something quick if anybody comes round to visit and they’re hungry.

Sometimes it’s better than going out and we can chat while I’m cooking it, so it’s nice.



IELTS Speaking Test Hong Kong Part 3

Eating habits

Have eating habits changed over time in your country?

Yes, I think they have. Generally speaking, in the past most people used to prepare and cook more of their meals at home rather than eat out or buy ready-to-eat meals from the supermarket or other places.

When I was a child I can remember my mother spending hours every day preparing and cooking food for the family.

That is not so common nowadays because many people, especially young people and young couples are so busy with their studies, work, or looking after their young children.

For example, it's common for both parents to be working now, so people don't have the time to spend hours and hours preparing and cooking food like their parents or grandparents did in the past.

Another major change we've seen over the years is the growth in the number of imported food products available in stores and supermarkets. There's much more choice now than in the past.

What are the disadvantages of today’s diet?

Probably the main one is that it's less healthy than before.

People tend to get 'fast food' or 'food to go' rather than making it from scratch using fresh ingredients.

While not all processed food is bad, it's generally less healthy than cooking your own food using fresh vegetables, fish, meat, or whatever you fancy.

The fact that most 'convenience meals' have been made in factories means that they contain many more additives and artificial ingredients to help improve their taste and prolong their shelf life in the stores. So, they're less natural than home-cooked meals.

Should children be taught in schools how to eat properly?

That would be a great idea. They should also be taught how to cook basic or traditional dishes so that they can fend for themselves in the kitchen.

It might not be a traditional academic subject, but if you think about it, preparing what you eat is a real-life skill that can have a big impact on your health and life for a very long time.

One of the reasons why people buy ready-made meals or eat out at fast food places so much is that they can't be bothered to cook. Maybe they think it's too much effort, or it takes too much time.

The truth is that you can cook something healthy and nutritious in under 10 minutes if you know how. People need to be shown how easy it is, and that it's a lot less expensive than ordering food or eating out all the time.

Do you think the government has a role to play in influencing people's diet?

Definitely! The government has a major role to play in shaping our eating habits, you know? They can come up with policies that encourage healthier choices, like putting taxes on junk food and sugary drinks.

And, they could even promote locally produced food, which is not only fresher and more nutritious but also good for the environment and our local economy.

Oh, and let's not forget about those educational campaigns! They can spread the word on the importance of a balanced diet and exercise, and make sure it's taught in schools too.

With the government's influence, we can really create a culture of healthy living.

What do you think are the potential solutions to the problem of unhealthy eating habits?

Education really plays a key role when it comes to addressing unhealthy eating habits, you know? I think schools should totally implement programs that teach kids about balanced diets and why it's not good to eat too much fast food.

Oh, and cooking classes would be super helpful too, so that kids can learn how to make healthy meals. And hey, parents need to be aware of what they're serving their children too, right? For adults, companies could provide healthier snacks and encourage taking breaks to avoid stress-eating.

Lastly, the media should totally spread the word about the dangers of unhealthy eating and the benefits of a good diet.


How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions?