IELTS: Talk about a foreign movie that you saw, Movies, Movie Actors, Movies in the Future, Movies in General

This IELTS speaking test includes questions about:

  • bad/good weather
  • where you live
  • your neighborhood
  • a foreign movie
  • movies in general
  • characteristics of good actor
  • movies in the future

  • IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

    Weather

    How is it different in your country?

    Generally, it's a lot cooler here than back home. And the difference between the seasons is much more distinct here too.

    What type of weather do you like/dislike personally?

    I like it when the weather is not too hot but not too cold either - like at the moment; it's warm during the day and cool in the evening, but not cold at night.

    For me, that's perfect - it's comfortable and you don't need a lot of clothes and it's nice to spend time outside.

    What is the best/worst weather for going to school/work?

    As I said, nice and warm makes it comfortable - so that's probably the best.

    The problem with super hot weather is that you feel tired all the time and so studying or working becomes much more difficult - trying to concentrate for a long period of time seems to make me sleepy when it's hot.

    Where do you live now?

    I'm renting an apartment with some other students here.

    Do you like the place where you live in now?

    It's okay, I mean it's temporary so it's not really a big issue - it's well located and has everything I need at the moment, so it's okay.

    What is your favorite room and why?

    Probably the room where I study because it has a good view of the yard, or the garden, so I can see what's happening outside but there's no traffic noise or anything disturbing.

    It's a nice and bright and airy room and I feel good when I spend time in there.

    What would you change in your home?

    Well, it's not really my home - I just rent it with some other people - so I don't think I would be able to change much.

    But maybe if I stayed there for a long time I would consider replacing the shower maybe - it's not so strong sometimes - like there's a lack of water pressure, but really it's not a serious problem or anything.

    Describe your neighborhood.

    It's suburban, there are mainly houses and one or two apartment buildings, and there's also a mall and some other shops.

    Most of the residents in the streets around where I live are young families with small children.

    Around the corner there's a small park where children play, and there's also a soccer field nearby where they play matches every Saturday.

    It's a nice place to live, it's quiet and safe and the people I've met are really nice and friendly.



    IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

    Talk about a foreign movie that you saw.

    You should say:

    • what it was about
    • what you liked about it
    • why you remember the movie

    and say if you would recommend this movie to your friends.



    IELTS Speaking Sample Answer

    I don’t watch many foreign movies, and the last one I watched was a long time ago. It was a strange kind of movie but I only watched it to practice my Spanish.

    I can hardly remember all of the story, but it was about a man and a woman, and the woman was working as a maid in a large family house, and this is the bit I can’t really remember.

    Somehow her boyfriend ended up hiding in the attic of the house and he stayed there for a long time, and the woman left, she stopped working at the house, and the family moved away and the man continued living in the attic.

    Now that I describe it like that – it sounds even stranger!

    Like I said it, was really kind of a weird movie, but I remember that at the end of it the man and woman somehow got back together again – they found each other many years later after the main part of the movie, and I think they were still in love with each other.

    Really, I didn’t like it that much… but it was one of those movies where you want to see what happens next. I almost stopped watching it on a couple of occasions because I thought it was boring, but then something unexpected would happen and I watched it for a little longer and then it got boring and then something else unexpected, or a twist in the story, would appear and I decided to watch some more.

    Overall, it was one of the weirdest movies I’ve ever watched, but as I said before it was in Spanish (not my native language) so it was good practice listening and reading the subtitles – that was the main reason I watched it – there was a lot of normal conversations so it was good for studying.

    I wouldn’t have watched it for the story, because it wasn’t really that interesting most of the time.

    The reason I remember it is because it was so slow and uninteresting most of the time - but I ended up watching it all eventually.

    But to be honest, I don't think I would recommend it to any of my friends because I don't think any of them speak Spanish enough to enjoy it.



    IELTS Speaking Test Part 3

    What do you think makes a good actor?

    Many different things - I suppose a good actor is someone who can interpret a role or charcter in a way that makes you believe in the character, whether it's the mannersims, the personality or their behaviour, it's important that the character is believable, so if the actor can achieve that it's a big advantage.

    What are some of the characteristics that an actor needs to have?

    A good actor needs to be flexible and able to adapt to the different roles they play. They need to be able to get inside the head, or mind, of the character they play and understand the psychological aspects and traits of the role.

    So I suppose they must be good observers and also able to identify key traits associated with the character they are playing - they need to know about people, what drives them, and be able to put themselves in the shoes of others and understand a wide range of emotions and things like that.

    Have movies changed over the years? How have they changed?

    Yes and no. The stories haven't changed that much - I mean there are still love stories, tragedies, disasters, action and many different genres of movie and most of the basic storylines or plots have certain core elements to them.

    But what has changed is the technology used to produce a lot of movies nowadays. Some of the special effects that movie companies can produce now make it a lot easier and cheaper to make big-budget blockbuster movies - and that's what a lot of people expect now.

    So although some of the common stories are still the same, like boy meets girl, good guy beats bad guy and stuff like that, the overall production quality has improved and the cinematic experience is definitely better now than in the past.

    Do you think movies will continue to be popular with people in the future?

    For sure, people will always want to watch movies - for lots of reasons; they're a good way to relax, have fun, or just escape for a while.

    There are some important movies which deal with serious issues and tell real life stories and people are always interested in seeing those.

    Movies are entertainment and people will always want to be entertained - the format might change over time, you know, from cinema to DVD to streaming online - but entertainment will always be popular.




    How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions about bad/good weather, where you live, your neighborhood, a foreign movie, movies in general, characteristics of good actors, and movies in the future?