Latest IELTS Writing Questions & Answers Task 1 | Task 2

IELTS UK speaking test Part 3 | conversations with strangers | networking on Facebook & Twitter



IELTS speaking test UK Part 3 discussion questions

What might be a reason for a person to start a conversation with a stranger?

Well, I suppose one of the most common situations would be when you might want to ask someone for directions or for help if you are lost in a strange place. You could need to find out about something and need to ask for information about a product or service and so start a conversation with a customer service representative or salesperson. And you might find yourself waiting or stuck in a place with some other people unexpectedly and just start talking or complaining about the situation, as a way of killing time until the situation is resolved.

Do you like to start conversations with strangers? [Why/Why not?]

Personally, no, I generally don’t mind if someone talks to me first, but I’m not the one who usually starts a conversation. I’m quite shy and reserved so I prefer to listen to music or read a book if I have to wait somewhere. I only start conversations with other people if I find myself in a situation as I metioned earlier and I need some information or help.

How often do you do that?

I suppose it doesn’t happen that often, maybe once or twice a month. I remember the last time was a couple of weeks ago when I was going for an interview for an internship and I got confused about the address. I had to ask two different people to help me find the right building where the interview was to be held, even though I managed to find the correct street on my own.

What is the advantage of network communication, for example through Facebook or Twitter?

The main advantage is probably the fact that you can talk and communicate with people from all over the world. And it’s usually instant or certainly easier than arranging to meet to have a chat. There are no geographical boundaries so you can be in contact with many more people than those you would normally come into contact with personally in your everyday life. I regularly chat with people in other countries and I know that I’ll probably never meet them in person, but it’s interesting all the same.

see more IELTS Part 3 speaking questions

How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions about conversations?

  • Are there any dangers in starting a conversation with a stranger?
  • Do you feel comfortable if a starnger tries to start a conversation with you?
  • Is it easier for men or woment to start a conversation with someone they don't know?


Quick & Easy Tips to Improve Your IELTS Speaking

Essential IELTS Speaking Videos

The best IELTS tips from British Council IELTS trainers. Watching these will seriously improve your speaking for IELTS!