IELTS Speaking - Colors (Colours) - How to Get Better Results


IELTS Speaking Colors/Colours

Part 1

What's your favorite color?

My favorite color is blue. I love how peaceful and calming it feels when I see it. It's a color associated with nature, such as the sky and the ocean, so it makes me feel connected to them in some way.

Do people in your culture think that certain colors have special meanings?

Yes, they do. For instance, in my culture white is associated with innocence and purity. Red usually symbolizes energy and joy, while black often conjures up feelings of power and confidence.

Do you usually wear clothes in your favourite colour? Do you usually wear clothes in your favorite color?

Yes, I do! I love wearing clothes that are in shades of blue, such as light blue and navy. I also often wear white shirts or tops because they go with just about anything.

Are there any colours that have a special meaning in your country?

Yes, in my country yellow is often associated with happiness and optimism. It's also a popular colour used for traditional clothing and decorations. Green is also seen as a symbol of luck and prosperity, while purple is an indicator of royalty.



What colour would you choose to paint the walls of your room? or What color would you choose to paint the walls of your room?

I would choose a soft blue. Blue is associated with feelings of calm and serenity, which I think would be perfect for my bedroom. It also has a hint of green in it which makes it feel more natural and organic. The shade would light up the room and make me feel relaxed when I'm inside.

Do you think different types of people like different colours?

Yes, I do. For example, some people may prefer warm colours like red or yellow that evoke feelings of energy and joy. Others might enjoy cooler tones such as blues and greens which convey a sense of peace and tranquility. Preferences for certain colours also vary according to age and gender. Therefore, different types of people likely have different favorite colours.

What colours do you especially like?

I really like shades of blue and green. Blue is my favorite colour because it's so calming and peaceful, while green makes me feel connected to nature. I also enjoy wearing lighter pastels or brighter jewel tones, depending on the occasion.

Are there any colours you dislike? [Why?]

I'm not particularly fond of orange. It can look a bit too bright and garish for my taste. I also don't like purple very much because it tends to be overused in certain fashion trends that I don't find attractive.



What's the colour you dislike? or What is the colour you dislike? Why?

I'm not a fan of brown. To me, it seems dull and uninspiring, so it's not a color that I enjoy wearing or looking at. Also, in some cultures, brown may be associated with poverty or sadness which can make it an unpleasant color to some people.

Do colours affect your mood?

Absolutely! Colours can have a powerful influence on how we feel, whether it's calming or energizing us. For example, I find that cool tones like blues and greens help me to relax, while warmer colors such as yellow or red make me more alert and alive. Each color can evoke different emotions in people, so it's important to be aware of the impact that they can have on our moods.

Are colors important to you?

Colors are very important to me. They can help me express my feelings, moods, and emotions in a way that words can't. They also influence the atmosphere of an environment which can make it more inviting or energizing depending on the colors used. So yes, I think colors are important to me.

Do you think colours are important?

Yes, I do think colours are important. They can convey messages and evoke emotions in people without the need for words. Colors also help create a unique atmosphere or environment which can impact our moods and feelings. Therefore, I believe that colors play an important role in how we view the world around us.

Were colours important to you when you were a child?

Yes, colours were important to me when I was a child. They were an essential way for me to express my feelings without needing words. Colours also made the world around me more vibrant and exciting, especially when playing with toys or engaging in art activities. Since then, I've always appreciated the power that colors have to impact our emotions and perceptions of the world.

Were any colours important to you when you were a child?

As a child, I was particularly drawn to the colors blue and green. Blue made me feel connected to nature, while green represented growth and new beginnings. I loved how they could evoke feelings of peace and calm as well as energy and excitement. They were always my go-to colors when creating art or playing with toys. I still appreciate them today for the same reasons.



When you are buying something, is the colour important to you?

Yes, color is important when I'm buying something. Not only does the product need to be of good quality and functional, but it also needs to have an appealing color. Color can impact how we perceive the product, as well as our overall satisfaction with it after purchase.

Depending on what I'm buying, certain colors may be more suitable than others to meet my needs. Therefore, color is an important factor when I shop. Color is important when I'm buying something because not only does the product need to be of good quality and functional, but it also needs to have an appealing color.

Color can impact how we perceive the product, as well as our overall satisfaction with it after purchase.

Is colour very important to you when you are buying clothes?

Sometimes, color is very important to me when buying clothes. It's not the only factor that I consider, but I do like my clothing to look aesthetically pleasing. Certain colors may be more suitable for different occasions or activities, so color can help me achieve a certain look or effect. Therefore, I usually take color into account when shopping for clothes.



Do you prefer light or dark (or, bright) colours?

Generally, I prefer lighter colors. They tend to be more calming and inviting, which is something that I look for in my clothing and home decor. On the other hand, dark colors can add drama and energy to an outfit or a room, so they have their place as well. Ultimately, it depends on my mood and what effect I'm trying to achieve.

Do you prefer to wear light or dark (or, bright) coloured clothes?

It depends on the season, the occasion, and my mood. For example, during summer I usually prefer to wear lighter shades such as pastels or bright colors that evoke feelings of happiness and energy. On the other hand, in cooler months I might opt for darker tones such as blues and blacks which can give a more sophisticated look.

If you were to paint the walls of your room, what colour would you choose?

My bedroom? Well, I'd like to choose a color that is calming and peaceful. Therefore, I'd probably go for some shade of blue or green as they can evoke feelings of tranquility and serenity. Alternatively, I could also try a light grey or beige tone which can add a subtle warmth to the room. Ultimately, it would depend on what look and atmosphere I'm trying to create.

Is there any colour you would not want your walls to be? [Why?]

Yes! I wouldn't want my walls to be too bright or garish as I prefer subtle and muted tones. I also wouldn't want a purple wall as it could be overwhelming and clash with the other colors in the room. In general, I just think that these colors would look a bit too harsh for my taste.

Do you think colours have symbolic meaning?

Yes, I do think colors can carry a symbolic meaning. For example, red may symbolize passion and energy while blue may represent peace and serenity. The same color may also be associated with different ideas in different cultures, such as green being seen as luck in some cultures and death in others. Therefore, I believe that colors can indeed have symbolic meanings depending on the context.



Part 2

Cue Card

Describe a time when you were particularly influenced by the color of something

You should say:
- What the thing was
- What color it was and why it stood out
- How it influenced you
And explain why the color of this particular thing was so significant to you.

Sample Answer

I remember a time when I was deeply influenced by the color of a painting that I saw in an art gallery. The painting depicted a beautiful, serene landscape, and it was the vibrant blue of the sky that particularly stood out to me.

The sky was painted in a rich, deep blue that perfectly captured the essence of a clear, sunny day. The blue was so vivid and captivating that it felt as though I could step right into the painting and be enveloped by the clear blue sky. It immediately evoked feelings of calm and tranquility in me.

This painting and its magnificent blue sky significantly influenced me and how I perceived the world around me. It reminded me of the beauty and wonder that lies in simple things like the color of the sky on a sunny day. It made me more appreciative of nature and the different colors that it presents us with each day.

The color of this particular painting was significant to me because it made me realize the impact that colors can have on our emotions and perceptions. It intensified my love for art and inspired me to experiment with colors in my own artwork. Even now, whenever I see a clear blue sky, I am reminded of that painting and the sense of peace and tranquility it evoked in me.