Describe Your Experience of Moving to a New School or New City


IELTS SPEAKING TEST PART 2

Describe an occasion when you changed school or home.

  • When was it?
  • What was the reason for the change?
  • Was the change easy or difficult?
and explain how you felt about the change.

A few months ago, I decided to return to my hometown. I really needed a decisive change because I had lived outside it for almost 11 years in a large city, and it was the right time to go. When I returned, I felt like a stranger - the place was like a new city, and everything had changed, even me.

The people I used to know when I was a child were different; they had another life. I didn’t have family in the city anymore. All I ever knew before (my friends, the places) had changed so much.

However, the new circumstances weren’t bad at all because they involved transformation, movement, and the implicit idea of taking the whole array of my own life experiences and facing up to the new situation so that I could become stronger and a better person.

Moving back to my hometown was a bittersweet experience. The change implicated challenges and deep learning, and I was ready for that.

For starters, I tried to find a small, beautiful place to live, as well as a job and everything else that could be needed. This was a process of adaptation and re-encountering what I used to know while conceiving it in another way.

Usually, people have two strong feelings that arise about returning to their hometown: a feeling of either regressing or progressing. I think experiencing each of them depends on your decision and the way you understand life, and all those unexpected, uncontrollable things that always happen.

This is one of the most beautiful aspects of life: its unpredictable path always surprises us. As far as I am concerned, I decided to come back and progress. It was like moving to a new city, looking at the horizon while making new plans, and walking towards it.

Almost 8 months after coming back to my hometown, I can say it was a good choice. My re-adaptation has been great. It has been a process of finding answers and discovering myself has been positive and stirring.

I enjoy the weather and the afternoon breeze. I also love walking around the city, because its small size offers a good quality of living. And the warm and peaceful people make you feel comfortable.

Returning to my hometown was not only about revisiting an old place, which turned out to be more like discovering a new city, but also a process of rediscovering my roots. A process that allowed me to understand myself better.



Describe your experience of moving to a new school or new city

When I was about eight years old, our family moved to a new city, and I had to move to a new school. It was really tough for me to adjust to my new school. I was the new kid, and I didn't know anyone. I felt really alone and isolated.

Why did you move there?

The reason we moved - my dad got a new job, so we had to move closer to the company's headquarters.

How did you feel about moving?

At first, I was really excited and optimistic because it would be a totally new experience. Not only that, but once I became friends with someone, it would be just the two of us because we wouldn't know anyone else at school. But as time passed, these feelings changed into sadness and isolation because no one wanted to play with me, and I didn't have any friends.

How did the experience affect your life?

I started getting bullied at school by one kid who kept telling me how much he hated me. Now that I'm older, though, it's more of an inconvenience than anything. The social aspect of middle and high school can be really tough. It's a time when kids are trying to figure out who they are and where they fit in. When you're new to a school, it can be difficult to find your place.

But it wasn't all bad - by the end of my first year, I found a group of friends who really cared about me. And, although our school was smaller than my old one, it gave me room to grow as an individual.

How much do you think moving affected your life?

To this day, I still feel like the new kid. Even though I live in the same city where I grew up - people don't really know me. They only know me for who I am - not what happened when I was younger or where I moved from.

That's something that has really shaped my character and made me into the person that I am today. My move caused social upheaval for several years until I eventually found a group of friends who accepted me for who I am. And that made all the difference.

Discussion Questions

Why do you think people change their place of residence?

People might change their place of residence for several reasons, including job opportunities, family reasons, or to be closer to friends or other support systems.

What effect does moving/relocating have on children?

There are several different ways that relocation can affect children. One of the most common effects is upheaval or loss of stability.

When a family moves, the children often have to leave their friends behind and make new ones in their new location. This can be difficult and lead to feelings of loneliness or isolation.

Additionally, children may struggle with changes to their routine, such as a new school or different home life.

Another common effect of relocation is adjustment difficulties.

  • Children may have difficulty adjusting to the new climate, culture, or language.
  • They may also feel pressure to succeed in their new environment, which leads to stress and anxiety.
  • Finally, children who relocate may experience an identity crisis as they struggle to define themselves.

Would you like to change your workplace?

I would change a few things about my workplace.

  • First, I would like to see more flexibility in hours and vacation days.
  • I would also like to see a better work-life balance so that people aren't always working long hours and feeling burned out.
  • Finally, I think it would be great if the company had a wellness program that encouraged employees to stay healthy both physically and mentally.

Do people generally like change?

People generally like change when perceived as advantageous for them.

For example, people may like changes in their work environment that lead to new opportunities or challenges.

However, people also generally dislike change when perceived as disadvantageous for them. For example, people may dislike changes in their work environment that lead to layoffs or demotions.

Do children adjust to changes more easily than adults? Why do you think that is so?

Children adjust more easily than adults because their brains are still developing. The part of the brain responsible for planning, organizing, and paying attention to details isn't fully developed until adulthood. This means that children are more flexible and able to adapt to new situations and changes in their environment.

Children are also more imaginative and open-minded, which allows them to see the possibilities in new situations. They're also more optimistic than adults, which helps them stay positive in difficult circumstances. Lastly, children have less experience with negative emotions like frustration, sadness, and anger, so they're less likely to be overwhelmed by them.

Which is better, sudden or gradual change? Why?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it depends on the situation. Sometimes it is best to make a sudden change, while other times a gradual change is the better option.

Some factors to consider when deciding whether to make a sudden or gradual change include:

  • The severity of the problem or situation
  • The amount of time available to make the change
  • The resources available to help make the change
  • The comfort level of those affected by the change

What important changes can help a country gain economic stability?

One important change that can help a country gain economic stability is to develop a more diversified economy. This can be done by increasing the number of industries in which the country is competitive and encouraging foreign investment in those industries.

Another important change that can help a country gain economic stability is to improve its infrastructure. This includes developing an efficient transportation system, improving the quality of its telecommunications network, and upgrading its electrical grid.

Finally, it's also important to improve the education and skills of the workforce. This includes increasing access to quality education and training programs and encouraging workers to upgrade their skills throughout their careers.



Related