Describe a Time When the Weather Affected Your Plans for the Day

IELTS: describe a time when weather affected your plans

IELTS Speaking Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is…

Can I see your ID?

Yes, of course, here’s my ID card.

Where are you from?

I’m from [city/country]

Do you work or study?

I study. I’ll be graduating later this year from [name of university].

What subject are you studying?

International Business and Marketing.

Which part of your country do you live in?

I come from [name of place/district/region] in the south of [country].

Have you visited any other parts of your country?

Yes I have. I’ve been to various places on vacation with my parents when I was younger and visited one or two other places with friends.

I’ve probably been to most of the major cities in [country] but there are still a lot of places I would still like to visit… maybe in the future.

What kind of discussions usually take place between people in your country? Why?

I suppose they are the type of discussions all people have, no matter where they live.

People talk about politics, problems, what’s happening in the world and other events which appear in the news.

People discuss things they’re concerned about such as taxes, the rising cost of living, and at the moment there’s quite a lot of discussion about the next election and who will win.

How do you usually spend your day?

I usually get up quite early, and then most days I have classes at the university, which take up most of my time at the moment.

This semester I’m working on my final dissertation so that’s taking up quite a bit of time. And then in the evening, I like to try and relax for a few hours either by myself or with friends maybe.

Do you have time to visit your family?

Yes, maybe not as often as I would like to, but I usually go back home to see them a couple of times a month.

They don’t live too far away so whenever I have time at the weekend it’s nice to go and see them.

It’s a bit more awkward during the week because I normally don’t have enough time to travel home and back to the city because of my schedule – but at the weekends when I don’t have classes it’s something I can manage.

Do you see changes in people’s mindset today compared to the past? What kind of changes?

In some ways, yes... People, especially the younger generation thinks more globally than their parents did, or still do.

Most of my friends are planning to go and study abroad after graduating, looking for opportunities to study in Canada, Australia, the USA, or the UK to get international experience for their future careers.

Why do you think these changes are happening?

I think this generation is more empowered and better equipped than previous generations and a lot of changes are as a result of social media and the growing emergence of global culture and knowledge sharing.

It gives young people a more global perspective rather than just relying on information and opinions from their families and other sources within their country.



IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe a situation when weather affected your work or your plans for the day

You should say:
  • What did you intend to do?
  • How did it affect you?
  • How did you spend your time?
and explain how you felt about the weather, or if it affected your mood.
Speaking topics: Bad Weather


Describe a time when the weather caused you to change your plans

IELTS Cue Card Sample Answer

Well, just last weekend my plans were ruined by the weather. Like I said before… the weekends are usually when I’ll travel back home and visit with my parents and family, so that was my plan for last weekend.

I’d arranged my schedule and made sure I didn’t have any studying or other things pending… I’d worked during the week to free up the weekend so I could relax and spend two days back home.

But on Friday afternoon the weather started to look ominous and by Friday evening, when I had planned to leave for home, there was an incredible storm which developed.

The rain was torrential with a wind that was gusting and a lot of roads were reported as being flooded… and traffic stopped in various places in the city.

So, I called home and spoke with my mother and she told me that it was the same there and that I shouldn’t travel in such bad weather because I might get delayed.

I was a bit sad, but the weather was so bad nobody wanted to go out at all. In fact the journey from the university back to my apartment was horrendous.

The traffic was terrible and by the time I arrived I was completely soaked because of the rain, so I had to admit that traveling all the way home would not have been a smart choice.

I waited for a couple of hours to see if things would change, but they didn’t, so eventually I gave up on the idea and started to think about what I could do instead.

Then, I decided to phone a couple of friends and see if they wanted to do something together, and so we got together on Saturday and we spent the day together and in the evening we went to see a movie and then went to a restaurant for a meal.

The weather still wasn’t great, but it was at least possible to go out without getting soaked again.

On Sunday, I decided to have a lazy day, you know… just reading, relaxing, and then another friend came to visit me in the evening and so we chatted for a while and then watched a movie in the evening.

So that was a time when the weather caused me to change my plans.

Similar IELTS candidate task cards
  • Describe a time when the weather prevented you from doing something
  • Describe an occasion when weather prevented your activity


  • IELTS Speaking Test Part 3

    How many seasons are there in your country? What are they?

    There are two seasons; summer and winter.

    Describe the weather during these seasons.

    Okay, so in the summer it’s incredibly hot sometimes, and it runs from around May through to October typically.

    It’s mainly hot and dry although there are some days when there might be rain showers, they’re not very heavy and they don’t last for long either.

    Then, around the middle of October or the beginning of November, the winter season begins.

    The temperature drops quite dramatically and there’s a lot more rain and wind than in the summer.

    During the day there’s still quite a bit of sun and sometimes it can feel warm, but by the evening it can feel really cold some days… and in the middle of the night, it gets extremely cold.

    What kind of weather is preferred by people in your country?

    Generally speaking, most people prefer the hot weather in the summer, although it can be a little uncomfortable at times when temperatures soar in July and August.

    some people prefer the winter because it’s easier and more comfortable to work, for example, when the temperature isn’t so hot.

    But the majority of people like the summertime because they get to spend more time outside and there’s a lot of tourist activity in the summer, so things are a lot busier and more lively.

    Young people like to spend a lot of time at the beach and doing activities outside.

    How does the weather affect people in your country?

    It affects people in different ways, or not at all, in some cases. Some people are just happier in the summer because they like the warmer weather, and likewise, some people are glad when the winter comes because it’s a nice break from the intense heat of the summer.

    And then some people like both seasons. I get a bit sad when it’s too cold in the winter – it’s just not very comfortable when you go outside, especially when it’s raining and cold at the same time… it’s horrible.

    What kind of activities do people do in different seasons?

    During the summer, most people spend a lot more time outside. They might spend time in their gardens or walking, and in particular, if they live near the coast they’ll typically spend a couple of days a week at the beach, especially at the weekends.

    You’ll see whole families camped out for the day or maybe even the whole weekend at the beach, enjoying the ocean and all the water sports and activities you can do.

    In the winter, it’s different. Almost Nobody goes to the beach because it’s too cold to swim, so people spend more time inside than outside and so parties and events in the winter are all organized indoors, whereas in the summer most of them would be outdoors.

    I guess we do typical things inside like watching TV, movies, meeting friends for a drink or meal and other stuff – just inside more than outside.



    Related
  • Describe an experience with bad weather
  • How would you answer these IELTS speaking questions?

  • Good luck with your IELTS test!