Can You Describe An Unforgettable Occasion/Event in Your Life?

IELTS Speaking Test Part 2: Special Events

How to answer these cue card questions

  • Describe a special occasion in your life
  • Describe an unforgettable event in your life
  • Describe a memorable day in your life

This IELTS cue card asks about an unforgettable (memorable) occasion (event) in your life.

TIP
You can answer this question by talking about anything which was important for you. For example:
  • the birth of a sibling
  • moving home
  • changing school
  • first day at university/work
  • studying in a foreign country
  • passing your driving test
  • graduating from college/university
  • competing in a sports event
  • performing in a play at school
  • meeting someone special


Describe an unforgettable occasion in your life

You should say:
  • what it was
  • when and where it took place
  • why it was unforgettable
and explain how you feel about it now.

Speaking for IELTS Cue Card An Unforgettable Occasion

Sample Answer

I always remember graduation day from university, last year. It was a really special time for me, and although my family and I had already celebrated finishing my degree successfully, the official graduation day ceremony was really quite special for me and my friends.

While I was studying for my degree, I made a lot of good friends and this is one of the reasons why graduation day is so memorable. We had shared some really good times together during our tiome as students.

It was one of the last times that all of us were together because shortly after graduating, two of our group left to go abroad and they’ll be there for about two years before they come back home.

So, the graduation ceremony was in the main auditorium of the university and everyone was there, all the students, faculty members and of course family and other invited guests.

There were the usual speeches, presentation of degrees to graduates and a few other things which the faculty had organized, and then after we organized a big lunch – there was my own family and three of my friends and their families as well, so it was quite an occasion.

We had this family lunch at a local restaurant which we had booked for the afternoon. It was a really special time having all the most important people in my life together at the same time.

Later on, when the family members had left we went out to a bar and had a few beers together just me and my friends. Looking back on it now, it was one of the happiest days of my life I think – we all felt like we had really achieved something graduating and that particular day was really good for all of us.

I hope that maybe in a couple of years we can arrange a sort of reunion – so that we can all get together again and catch up with each other.

Even though it was last year, it's still an occasion that I remember frequently becuase it was like the beginning of my professional career. I stopped being just a student and started working, which is a big change in life.

So I feel that graduating, and in particular, the graduation ceremony, was a milestone in my life, it marked the transition into a more serious stage of life with new challenges and also new opportunities.

How would you answer this IELTS cue card question about describe an unforgettable occasion in your life?

Here is a guide and some tips on how to answer this Part 2 IELTS speaking test question:

Can you describe a special occasion in your life?

  • Keep your answer on point
  • Try to be as natural and relaxed as possible
  • Don't try to memorize a complete answer, just speak from the heart
  • Be positive and happy when talking about the subject
  • Practice speaking on the topic for 2 minutes

Tips for speaking for IELTS Part 2

  • A good way to start off your answer is by saying something like
    "Well, there have been quite a few special occasions in my life, but one that really stands out is..."
  • Then, you can go into detail about what made the occasion so special. Maybe it was a significant event like a graduation or wedding, or maybe it was a more personal moment like the birth of a child. Whatever it is, try to focus on the positive aspects of the story and why it meant so much to you.
  • It's also important to provide as much relevant detail or examples as you can in your answer.
  • To get a good score the examiner will expect you to be able to talk for around 2 minutes on the topic but try to avoid rambling on or waffling about irrelevant stuff.
  • Hit the key points on the cue card and try to be as natural and fluent as possible in your delivery.
  • You can cover all the main points in a simple introductory statement, and then go on to expand on them, to extend your answer.
  • Here's an example answer to the question

    I was really touched by my sister's graduation ceremony. It was such a special and emotional moment for her, and I'm so proud of her achievements. She worked so hard to get where she is today, and it was just amazing to see her walk across that stage and receive her diploma. It was a really happy day for our whole family.

    The day started off with a bit of excitement and nerves, as my sister got ready for her big moment. We took some pictures together and then headed over to the graduation ceremony. The ceremony itself was really beautiful, with all the graduates in their robes and caps. The dean of the university spoke, and then each graduate's name was called as they walked across the stage to receive their diploma. My sister's name was called near the end, and she looked so happy and proud as she walked across the stage.

    After the ceremony, we all went out to celebrate with a nice dinner. My sister got to choose where we went, so she picked a really nice restaurant.

    I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was really nice! The food was great, and we had a lot of fun celebrating my sister's graduation. After dinner, we all went home and my sister went to bed. She had to get up early the next day to start her new job.

    I'm really proud of my sister for graduating from college and getting a great job. She's worked hard for it and she deserves it!