Speaking Topics - Talk About a Subject

Talk about a subject that people always ask you about

You should say:
  • What is it?
  • Where did you learn it?
  • Why do they ask you about it?
and explain how you feel about it, when they ask.

Talk About a Subject: IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample Answer

When I was a child, I became interested in kickboxing and took classes for two years. Through that, I discovered that I really liked physical activities and especially training. Since then, I’ve tried most types of exercises such as weight training, TRX, and Crossfit. I usually train all the time with just a rest day or maybe two every week. But even when I don’t go to the gym, I usually do something active, even on a day off. Maybe I’ll go biking or hiking or swimming just for a change.

Over the years, I’ve learned about many different exercises for building strength, stamina, and flexibility for sports or physical activities from instructors or coaches and by teaching myself through reading and watching videos about the subject.

Quite often, people ask me for advice or how they can do a particular exercise when they see me doing it in the gym or the park. They want to know how they can achieve it too. Usually, they’re interested in the technique and how long it takes to be able to do a particularly challenging exercise.

It’s nice when people ask me for advice, even though I’m not a qualified trainer or anything like that because it feels good to be able to motivate people to become better than they are at the moment. The interesting thing is, I’ve had young people and old people ask me the same sorts of questions – age doesn’t really seem to matter, which is good because exercise is important for your health at all ages.

Now, I’m considering maybe doing a course to become certified as a personal trainer or coach – I think I might like to do that next year.


IELTS USA speaking Test Part 3