IELTS USA Full Speaking Test | Describe a restaurant you enjoyed



This is an example of an IELTS speaking test asked in the USA recently. The sample answers provided are not the only way to respond to these questions, your answers should be about you, your experiences and preferences and what you think - but they might give you some ideas about how to respond and the kinds of things you can say when answering these types of IELTS speaking questions

IELTS USA Speaking Test Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is … Helga Maria Dachen

Can I see your ID?

Sure, here it is.

Where are you from?

I come from Hamburg, in Germany, but for the last 3 months I’ve been here in the U.S. studying English and preparing for my IELTS test.

Do you work or study?

Back home, I work. I’m a university professor – I teach international marketing studies at the university in Hamburg.

Did you always want to work in this field?

No not really. When I was a small child I can remember wanting to be a racing car driver and then when I was older I thought about becoming a stock broker like my father, but eventually I decided to study general business courses at university and that’s how I got into teaching.

What made you choose this field?

I was quite interested in my father’s work as a broker and he used to tell me things about the stock market and business, how thing happened and what things influenced the markets, stuff like that, and I thought it was all very interesting so I finally decided to go with business studies as a foundation to a possible career in the stock market in the future – but while I was university I became more interested in teaching and helping others, so I decided to pursue a career as a teacher.

IELTS USA Speaking Test Part 2

IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 Cue card Topic Question

Talk about a restaurant you have enjoyed.

You should say:
  • What and where is it?
  • What you like about it?
  • Would you visit it again? Why?

Describe a restaurant you enjoyed | IELTS Speaking Cue Card Answer

Okay, so just before I came to the USA my friends and I got together to have one last day out together before I left. We decided to go to a restaurant called Von der Motte because a friend of mine recommended it. It’s an international style restaurant with a variety of food from all over the world, they have name for what they do – it’s called slow fast food – sounds strange, doesn’t it? But it’s really quite a good idea, quality food which doesn’t take too long to prepare or eat… much better than traditional fast food or waiting in a five-star restaurant for gourmet food and expensive service.

Anyway, we went there for lunch and it was a really nice place, a relaxing environment and the food was great, a really good selection of savory dishes like salads, sandwiches, soups and quiches and the service was excellent too. I loved the place and my friends who went with me liked it also. I was glad my friend recommended me to try it, it was well worth it.

I definitely plan to go back again and try some of the other dishes they have on offer, and in fact, I might make a plan with my friends to go there on a regular basis, maybe once a month to meet each other and catch up and enjoy some really good food in a superb ambience with great service. It might just become my favorite restaurant!

IELTS USA Speaking Test Part 3

Do you think eating outside is good?

Yes, it can be, depending on the weather. For example, in the summer time I love to go on a picnic or eat outside, even just a quick sandwich in the park sometimes, it’s nice and relaxing, and it’s good to be outside in the fresh air. But in the winter, it’s quite different, eating outside is the last thing which I think about – it’s way too cold for it! I suppose if you lived in a country where the weather was warm all year round, you’d eat outside a lot more often.

What are some reasons for eating outside?

Well, I can think of a few reasons – it’s nice to have a change of scenery, it’s good to get some fresh air and if you organize a picnic somewhere nice, it can be a great day out with some friends or family, so it might be more social than just having lunch in a cafĂ© or restaurant. Basically, it’s just good to be able to eat someplace different, rather than inside all the time.

What are the consequences of eating outside?

You might have more fun! I ended up feeding some birds in the park last time I ate something there – I would never do that in a restaurant! But seriously, it can be more relaxing eating in a different environment, some people say that food tastes better outside, more natural but then you have to consider that there may be insects or other things which annoy you when they smell the food. Just like when I was in the park with a friend last week – we were both eating something and this dog came up and started sniffing around us – it was kind of funny rather than annoying, but I suppose some people wouldn’t like it when they’re eating.