Speaking for IELTS - Friends and Friendships | Talking about Problems

IELTS Speaking Test Part 3 Questions | Friends & Friendship





When did you last see your friend?


It was about a month ago, we went for a coffee together and to catch up with what’s been happening.


What is the importance of friends?


Well, speaking generally, having friends is good because you can share things with them, not just activities and events, but you can share your thoughts and feelings with them. Sometimes you can help each other in a bad situation or simply just be there to support them in whatever they are doing. Nobody likes feeling alone so having friends is very important for most people.


Would you like to have a few very good friends or a lot of just friends?


Actually, I don’t have a lot of friends – but I do have a few really good, close friends that I spend time with and talk to all the time. We are almost like family. I’ve always preferred to make really good long term friendships with people rather than try and be friends with everyone.


If you had a problem, would you go to your friends or family? Why?


First, I’d go to my friends, because they are closer to me and they know me better. They would be most likely to be able to help me or give me advice rather than my family because they would understand me and the problem better.


Can you give me an example of such situation?


Yes, not long ago I was in a relationship and I wasn’t convinced it was a good thing in the long run, and I mentioned my doubts to two of my friends who know me extremely well and they know what I think is important in terms of relationships; they also know me very well as a person and can tell me when I’m just being stupid about something or when it’s really not the best thing for me, so I trust their judgement on such things.

Anyway, after discussing it with them separately, they both made some comments which were a little different but basically similar and it helped me to get some things straight in my own mind about what I should do about the problem.

Do you think it is always better to talk to your friends about such a problem?


It probably depends, I know someone who is closer to her mother than any of her friends and when she has problems like that she always talks to her mother first to see what she thinks about it.

When it’s a personal problem you need to talk with people who really know you and understand you and know how you think – that could be your family or your friends – it depends on the type of family and friends you have.

For many young people, I think they prefer their friends to talk to about such things, but some people do have a really close relationship with their families or a member of their family, so it would make sense for them to talk to that person first I suppose.

How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions about Friends and Friendship?

  • Which factors make for a long-lasting friendship?
  • Do you think it's necessary to always like the same things as your friends?
  • Is it easier or more difficult for a man and a woman to be good friends?