Cambridge IELTS 9 Speaking Test 3 Part 1 Questions & Answers about Telephone Calls, Texting

Cambridge IELTS 9 Speaking Test 3 Part 1

Telephoning / calling / telephone calls / texting

How often do you make telephone calls?

To be honest, it's not very often, maybe once or twice a month. I usually text people more than actually call people on the phone. Really, the only person I still call is my grandmother but like I said, it's only a couple of times a month that we speak.


Who do you spend most time talking to on the telephone?

My grandmother, we don't talk that often but when I do call her we normally speak for at least half an hour and more often than not it's longer than that. I used to live close to her, but since I moved here I can't visit her as often so when I call her I like to hear all her news and she always asks me about what I've been doing.

When do you think you’ll next make a telephone call?

I'll probably call my grandmother in the next couple of days so we can catch up with each other. I spoke to her early last week but I'd like to call her soon and find out how she is and what she's been doing. maybe I'll call her on Friday afternoon when I have some free time so we can have a really long chat.

Do you sometimes prefer to send a text message instead of telephoning?

Yes, almost always. Texting is much easier and quicker and people can't listen to your conversations. As I said before, my grandmother is really the only person I call because she likes it, but I generally text everyone else... it's so much better, you can choose when you send each text, you can do things in-between texting and if the other person is busy for a few minutes they can text back later but the conversation still continues, it's more conveninent than calling.



Part 2 Cue Card - Describe a journey by plane, boat or car that you remember well