IELTS Speaking Part 1 - Politeness - Childhood Activities

Part 2 Part 3

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions and Answers

What is your full name?

My name is Maria Elena del Torro

Can I see your ID?

Yes, here it is.

Where are you from?

I’m from Argentina.

Do you work or study?

I work, I’m an industrial chemist.

Do you enjoy your work? Why?

Yes, I do, I love it because it’s so interesting.

Why did you choose a career as an industrial chemist?

It was a subject I loved at school, and I was good at it - so I decided to study it further at university, and it was fascinating for me. Then I got a job in a large multi-national company which has a plant in Buenos Aires.

Will you continue with this in the future?

I’m sure I will because I really like it. In fact, I’m working towards my Ph.D. at the moment. That’s one of the reasons I’m here in the USA, as part of my research with the university in town.



TOPIC: Childhood activities

What was your favorite activity when you were a child?

When I was a child, I used to love playing with my dog outside in our garden or in the local park. I used to spend hours just running around and jumping and playing with him. He used to like running after a ball when I threw it… he was a great dog!

What do you think children prefer: outdoor or indoor activities? Why?

I think they like both, don’t they? I mean they like playing soccer or sport outside or going to the beach or things like that, but they also love watching TV and video games. I suppose, if you lived in a cold country, then you’d prefer doing stuff indoors. And if you come from a warmer climate, spending more time doing stuff outside might be more common, especially if you live near the ocean.

How have kids’ activities changed since you were a child?

Not much really, I think kids have more technology gadgets now than before, but when I was growing up, we had computers and cellular phones - it’s just that now they’re smaller and more advanced. Kids still play the same sports they did in the past and go for picnics with their family and stuff like that; it’s pretty much the same overall.

Have your leisure activities changed since you were a child?

No, my leisure activities have not changed since I was a child. It's easy to find something that I enjoy doing, and it doesn't take much effort to stick with my hobbies. For example, I love reading books and watching movies, so those are my go-to activities when I need some downtime. I also like going for walks and spending time outdoors, so nature is always a great option for me.

TOPIC: Politeness

What is politeness in your opinion?

Mmmm - for me, politeness is treating other people like you would want to be treated and remembering to say please and thank you, that was something my grandmother always reminded me about.

When you were a child, who taught you to be polite?

My parents, and especially my grandmother, she was always telling me to say please when I asked for something and to remember to say thank you when somebody gave me something or did something for me.

Is it important to be polite in your country?

Yes, it is important to be polite in my country. Politeness is a sign of respect for others, and it can make interactions with people more pleasant. Additionally, politeness can help build strong relationships and create a sense of community.

There are several ways to be polite, and the specifics will vary depending on the culture. However, some basics that are often appreciated include being respectful, using manners, being considerate and humble.

Why is it important to be polite to people?

It’s one of those things that just makes life nicer, isn’t it? When people are polite, it’s just nicer than if they’re not. It makes everyday activities better. If people weren’t polite, then maybe we wouldn’t speak to so many different people every day or help people or ask for help either.

Do you think people became more or less polite in your country compared to when you were a child?

If you ask my grandmother, she’ll tell you that people are not as polite as they were in the past. But I think it’s really more a case of people being less formal nowadays… not necessarily less polite. Young people today are quite informal, but they generally still respect their parents and older members of society - even if they don’t show it with the words they use.



How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions about childhood activities and politeness?