IELTS: An Interesting Person You Met Recently

This IELTS cue card question about describe an interesting person you met was asked recently in an IELTS speaking test in the USA.

IELTS Part 2 Speaking Questions & Answers

Talk about an interesting person that you have met recently.
You should say:

  • who this person is
  • how you met him/her
  • what you talked about
and why you think he/she is interesting.


An Interesting Person You Met | IELTS Speaking Test Sample Answer

I’d like to tell you about somebody I met online a couple of weeks ago. This person lives in another country and we met in a Skype chat group. We were there to practice speaking English.

There were about six of us at the time. There was one person in particular that I thought was very interesting, and she spoke very good English, so I asked to chat with her after the session and that’s when we really chatted a lot and got to know each other a little better.

She was from Switzerland and she was a student, her name was Inga. For me she was very interesting because her life is very different from mine. I have two sisters, but I don’t really spend that much time with them, but this girl was definitely interesting to chat to.

She is a student at university, doing a Masters Degree in Business Administration, which is sort of similar to what I would like to do in the future. We first started chatting because we have a common interest – salsa dancing.

For me it’s the most natural thing in the world because my mother was a dance teacher so I grew up learning all different types of dance and salsa was always one of my favorites.

Inga is taking salsa lessons in her hometown, her teacher is from somewhere in Cuba, I can’t remember the name of the city, but he’s a professional dancer and also gives classes in a dance school. We spent quite some time discussing different steps and techniques- it was fun.

I found Inga interesting because her lifestyle is completely different from mine. I have never been to Europe and some of the things she was describing were amazing.

I think I’d like to visit and see what it’s like for myself. It was intriguing to learn some things about another person’s life, country and culture. I get the impression that Europe is very different from the USA. So that's my story about an interesting person I met recently.


  • IELTS USA Speaking Test Part 3 Questions




  • How would you answer this IELTS question about describe a person you met recently?