IELTS Speaking Test USA | Talk about a celebration when a number of guests came to your home

Sample questions from a recent IELTS interview in the USA


IELTS Speaking Test USA Part 1


What is your full name?

My name's ...

Can I see your ID?

Sure, here's my passport.

Where are you from?

I'm from [name of city] in [country] but I've been here in the U.S. for a couple of months now.

Do you work or study?

I used to work before I came here, but I'm spending 3 months here to improve my English, so at the moment I'm studying full time.

Does your job require concentration and attention to detail?

Yes, I'm an industrial designer, so attention to detail is very important in my work. In fact, sometimes it's the details which make a particular design special or unique and better than other similar designs.

What affects your ability to concentrate?

Personally, several factors tend to impact how well I can concentrate, or not. Firstly, the environment - if it's quiet or noisy; second, how I'm feeling at any given time - sometimes I find it difficult to focus just because I'd rather be doing something else or want to be moving around rather than sitting and concentrating on one paerticular thing.

And the final thing is whether or not I actually need to concentrate - so for example if I must get a certain task finished by a particular time or day, etc. I find I can usually make myself concentrate without too much difficulty, but if I have no deadline, I can find my mind wandering all over the place.

Do you think people can do two things at the same time?

Absolutely, in fact if you can't you'll probably have some serious problems in life. Most people spend their time doing more than one thing during the day, whether it's talking on their phone or texting while walking or driving or even working, or working while chatting to colleagues at work.

Obviously there's a limit to exactly what or how many different things you can do at the same time - but it's still pretty common to multitask throughout the day - just to manage all the things we have to do.

IELTS speaking test USA | Part 2 topic question

Talk about a celebration when a number of guests came to your home.

You should say:
  • How did you entertain them?
  • What was special about it?
  • How did you feel about it later?

IELTS speaking test | Part 3 questions

How are the guests usually entertained in your country?

On what occasions do you typically invite guests?

Where would you like to stay in another city, with a friend or in a hotel?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of staying in a hotel or at a friend’s place?

[sample answers coming soon!]