Describe a Country You Know Well

These IELTS speaking topics were in a recent IELTS Speaking Test

  • emails
  • friends at work
  • describe a country/nation
  • international tourism

Speaking for IELTS Part 1

Do you work or study?

I work in my family's business, it's an import/export company. I'm also a student at the one of the local universities here...studying economics.

What do you do for a living?

I help my father with busines matters and the administration of our family business.

How do you access your e-mails?

If I'm at home or in the office I normally use my laptop computer to read emails and search for information on the internet.

When I'm out I can check them on my phone if it's something urgent.

Do you have friends at your work place?

Well, it's a family business and we have quite a few family members who work there such as cousins and other family relatives who are also friends, but the friends I spend more time with nowadays are people I met at university.

Speaking for IELTS Part 2

IELTS cue card describe a country/nation that you know well

Describe a country/nation that you know well



IELTS Cue Card Sample Answer

I'd like to talk about the UK. It's a fascinating country for me. I can remember learning about it first when I was in school.

What amazed me most about it then was that it was so small but many years ago it was very important, in the days of the British Empire, as it dominated the world trade.

It also has a lot of cultural diversity now with many people from very different parts of the world living there.

Many of them come from countries that were once colonized by Britain in the past. I visited London about 3 years ago and travelled around some parts of the UK to learn more about it.

I'd like to go and study there in the future and maybe live and work there for some years before comming back home.

It's a country that has shown how it is possible to change with the times and transition from being a country built on one race of people to become a truly multicultural society nowadays.

There are a lot of lessons that other countires could learn from this. The USA is similar, but it was founded upon immigration wheras the UK was not.

It's not just the history of the country which is interesting for me but the important contributions the country has made to world development.

The UK was responsible for much of the innovation of the industrial revolution and has been home to many important inventors and scientists as well as academics over the years.

Even now, as a small independent country it continues to be an important one in the world and very innovative and creative.

I believe it's a place with many opportunities for people to do things and that's one of the reasons I'd like to go and spend more time there, studying and working.

Speaking for IELTS Part 3



What are some of the benefits of international tourism for a contry?

Well, obviously the money which it can generate for the local economy is beneficial. It can help create jobs and foster cultural relations with other countries. It can also lead to more foreign investment in industry and commerical sectors as more people visit and learn about the country.

How important is international tourisn for the economy of developing countries?

Very important. It is sometimes the main catalyst for growth and development.

When a country has a healthy tourism industry it needs to make sure it has a good infrastructure also to deal with all the visitors. This leads to many activities which can help stimulate and maintain the economy.

Projects like the construction of hotels or expanding the airports can create many new jobs and help many peope.

Many medium and small businesses are started to cater for tourists and that is a good thing.

What are some of the problems that can be associated with international tourism?

Possible problems might include an overloading of the existing transport and accommodation infrastructure, cultural conflicts depending where the visitors come from, an increase in prices for locals as a result of foreign money entering the country.

And there is also the possibility that other influences may begin to affect the loacl culture over a long period of time.

This has been seen in many countries where the local culture adopts some of the ways of visitors to make them feel more comfortable.

But on the whole I think the advantages of tourism are much greater than any problems that might develop over a long period of time.