IELTS Speaking Test | Patience, Clothes, Meals, Healthy Eating

IELTS Speaking Practice


IELTS Speaking Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is ...

Can I see your ID?

Yes, of course, here's my ID card

Where are you from?

I'm from here, Ankara

Do you work or study?

I work, I'm a technical support manager

Topic: Patience

Why is patience important?

I think it's important because it can help in many situations. Being impatient doesn't really help resolve any problems and in fact, it can sometimes cause more problems.

Are you a patient person?

Generally, yes I am, although I sometimes feel impatient in certain situations, I try not to show it, as I said, it doesn't really help in most situations so there's no point in making other people feel uncomfortable.

What do you do when you get impatient?

I count to 10. My grandfather taught me this - it's very simple, whenever I feel impatient and maybe angry about something - I just count to 10 and it seems to make me calmer.

Is it important to have a good relationship with colleagues at your workplace? [Why?]

Yes, it's important. It can be difficult to achieve it sometimes depending on the personalities involved but it's certainly a better situation than having to deal with a lot of conflict every day. If everyone is getting along well then normally everything else goes well also.

Topic: Clothes & Shopping

What type of clothes do you prefer to wear? [Why?]

Well, when I'm at work I wear a shirt and tie and formal pants or trousers, but when I'm away from work I like to wear casual clothes, and when I have time off from work I usually just wear a T-shirt and jeans most of the time.

What factors do you consider before buying any clothes?

If it's casual clothes then whatever I like, as long as it isn't too expensive. When I buy clothes for work I'm not very fussy either, I usually just buy plain colored shirts and some simple ties and dark colored pants or trousers. I'm not very fashion conscious and I don't like spending a lot of time shopping for clothes.

Do you like shopping?

No, not really, I like buying gadgets and tech stuff but shopping for clothes and stuff like that - not really. I try to avoid it until I really need something. It can be a problem sometimes because my girlfriend loves shopping - she's the complete opposite of me.

How often do you go shopping?

On my own, not very often, but my girlfriend takes me with her quite often to go shopping and maybe eat and drink something together.

IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe an outdoor meal or picnic that you had

You should say:
  • where it took place
  • what the occasion was
  • what you ate and drank there
and explain why you enjoyed/didn't enjoy that meal/picnic.


Sample Answer

Describe an outdoor meal or picnic that you had

Last summer I remember we went to the west coast to a town called Dalyan. It's a well-known reserve for the loggerhead turtles and many people go there to see them in the nesting season. Anyway, we travelled there in a friend's car - there were four of us - and we spent the day there. It was beautiful and quite different from life in the city.

We didn't really have a picnic but we bought some köfte and döner from one of the local stores and took it to eat near the beach with some drinks. We found a quiet spot and enjoyed simply eating, talking and looking out over the Mediterranean Sea.

I love going to the beach, and I wish I could do it more often.

It wasn't really a special occasion other than spending some time together outside of the city at a beautiful place, but it wasn't like it was someone's birthday or anything like that.

But it was a very nice day we spent there and I would like to go back again and explore that particular area some more.

It was a great day because the drive there was good too, the scenery on the road was amazing. I had been there many years ago as a kid but I had forgotten just how spectacular some of the landscape is along the road to Dalyan.

We all enjoyed the day and although it was quite simple, and the food was bought locally, it was still a day that made all of us happy.



IELTS Speaking Part 3

Topic: Eating

When do people eat outdoors in your country?

We eat outside a lot, maybe at restaurants in the street and things like that. It's common here, especially in the evenings. If you go to the tourist areas there are lots of people eating outside because it's much cooler and they like it because it's maybe not so normal for them.

Do people often eat outdoors in your country?

Yes, I think it's quite a common thing to do. There are lots of vendors who sell all kinds of food in the street and many restaurants that have open areas next to the street or maybe a terrace outside where you can eat.

We have good weather for much of the year so it's nice to sit outside and enjoy the evening.

What do you think about eating in fast-food chains?

You know I used to eat in them a lot when they first arrived here in Turkey, but not so much now - the novelty has worn off. They can be more expensive than our own Turkish food and people say it's not that healthy for you either.

They're more popular with a lot of young people and visitors. Nowadays I go maybe once or twice a year, no more.

Do you think people are more health-conscious now than in the past?

Yes, I would agree with that, there's a lot more information about health and fitness available now and more people are trying to lead healthy lives. My best friend and I joined a gym last year and we are very interested in health and fitness now.

Topic: Food

Why do people try to eat healthier foods?

I think many people have different reasons. I know that I feel better than I used to and have more energy and I think there's a big emphasis on being young now - and being healthy and fit keeps you young - maybe that's one of the reasons why it's so popular.

It's a generation thing I think because a lot of older people don't really pay much attention to it.

Why do many countries have food/cuisine exhibitions at international events?

It could be to help promote their culture or even help encourage tourism to their country. Events like that are good ways to showcase the best of your country and maybe make people more interested in visiting someday to experience it for themselves.

I think that kind of event has become popular because international cuisine has become more easily available in many other countries now - it's easier to eat food from other countries than it was many years ago - that has made people more interested in knowing more about other countries and not just their own local food.

Do you think that food can represent a country?

Yes, just like music, food is very particular to certain countries and regions of the world. It's part of the culture of a country just like music and dance and language. Some are more famous than others, for example, Mexican food is known all across the world and Italian pasta too - so yes, food can represent a country as part of the overall culture.