Speaking Topic: What Is Your Idea of A Perfect Vacation?

This IELTS Speaking Test includes the cue card question: describe your idea of a perfect vacation/holiday, other question topics include:

  • How to concentrate
  • Traveling to new places
  • Organized trips
  • Vacation for workers

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Do you work or study?

I'm a student at the moment, at the National Vietnam University of Hanoi.

What is the first thing you do after classes?

Normally, I meet up with some classmates and we discuss the assignments and spend some time chatting together.

Sometimes, we go for something to drink or eat, but other days I go straight home because I have a lot of things to do.

Is it possible to concentrate on two things at the same time?

Yes, it's quite normal nowadays. Sometimes I prefer to focus on one thing at a time, but multitasking is essential. It's not often that you can organize everything perfectly so that you can just do one thing at a time.

If you think about it, we all do multiple things at once, from talking while driving to taking notes while in a meeting. Our concentration is often divided.

What do you do to stay concentrated?

Okay, so when I need to study or do some serious reading, I usually stay in my room. I tell people that I don't want to be disturbed and I make sure that I have everything I need before I start. That way, I don't get distracted by looking for something or having to leave my room to go and fetch something.

Something else I do is set a time limit. For example, I might decide to allocate one hour to do something. And I don't stop until the hour is up.

I find it easier to concentrate 100% if I know it's only for a certain time. After I finish I like to relax for a while before maybe focusing on something else.

IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe your idea of a perfect vacation/holiday

  • where would it be?
  • Who would you go with?
  • What would you do?
and say what would make it perfect for you.

Describe your idea of a perfect vacation - model answer

What would be my perfect vacation? I guess when I travel, I would like everything to work out perfectly. For me, the perfect vacation or holiday would have no problems like cancellations or needing to rebook flights or accommodation.

Also, there are specific things that could contribute to a perfect holiday. For example, the weather, travel time, companions, accommodation, and food can all help make or break a vacation or trip.

My perfect holiday would include some excellent food. I like a variety of foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables that are refreshing, healthy, and delicious. And some new local cuisine to try would be excellent.

The perfect vacation would have many opportunities to enjoy different things and refresh me. I would like a vacation that brings me joy and recharges my batteries and is different from my everyday life.

I would want to take a tour around the place and see the local sights such as a fascinating park or a beach. I like to go off the beaten track as well and explore.

I'd probably choose to go to someplace abroad, one that offers a variety of different experiences, such as the Mediterranean, the Middle East, or Africa.

If I planned the perfect vacation or the trip of a lifetime, I would choose to go with friends and family members.

I find sites like Pinterest are helpful for planning vacations and trips. You just search for the destination, and you'll find plenty of travel articles to help you plan your trip. They're mostly compiled by travelers and updated frequently. So you'll find information on where to go, how to get around, and much more.

So what would make it my perfect vacation? I suppose that I would call it my perfect vacation if I traveled with people I love, to an exotic place, and I get to explore some fascinating tourist landmarks and see some more unusual sights.

It would be ideal to have some opportunities to do some challenging activities like hiking and exploring. And have enough time to have some lazy days too, to relax and wind down.

If I could do all those things, I would think it was a perfect vacation.

Follow up question: Do you think you will go there some day?

Maybe, It will depend on what happens next year. I'm planning to study abroad for a while. But if I don't manage that, I may treat myself to a vacation.

IELTS Speaking Part 3

What things should people consider before traveling to new places?

Well, I suppose you need to consider the location, travel arrangements, spending money, accommodation, any language barrier, and maybe visa requirements and things like that.

Also, I normally think about why I want to go to a place, and what I would like to do while I'm there. You know, if there are any specific places I want to visit or do certain activities. It's always good to have some sort of plan.

What do they need to know about such places?

I guess you need to know if it's a safe place or not. Also, what accommodation options are available, and the time and cost of flights to the destination.

If you've never been there before, you might want to find out what you can see and do there. And if they speak the same language, or if there are any special customs or things you should be aware of before traveling there.

What would make such a trip special, in your opinion?

Doing something different, an unusual activity, or seeing something that I can't see in my own country. I like to try different foods when I travel and explore local places.

If the place is far away and very different from my own country and culture, then that could also make it special.

It's sometimes the overall experience that matters more than just an individual part of a trip or vacation. That feeling you get when everything is new and exciting, and you know that you'll never forget it.

What are some of the advantages of organized trips?

I guess the biggest advantage is that you don't have to organize anything. It's all done for you.

All you need to do is pack your things and arrive at the place at the expected time. Tours and activities are organized for you.

It can be fun sometimes to go as part of a group. You get to meet people from many different places, and you might even make friends with some of them.

And I suppose in some places it might be safer to be part of a group rather than traveling on your own.

Is it beneficial for companies to give vacations to workers?

Yes, I think it is essential. People can only work for so long before they become tired or stressed out. They might become burned out and be less effective and efficient if they never have a break from work.

I think it's in the best interest of everyone that companies provide paid vacation or leave for their employees.

It gives people time to relax, recharge their batteries, and they go back to work energized and more motivated than before.


How would you answer this IELTS question about describe your idea of a perfect holiday?


Related IELTS topics
  • A short journey you disliked
  • A journey by car, boat or plane