How to Answer Questions about Laughing and Feeling Happy

Cambridge IELTS Book 7 speaking test 2 Part 1 questions & answers

Cambridge IELTS 7 Speaking Test 2 Part 1

What kinds of things make you laugh?

Funny things! I suppose there are many different kinds of things that make me laugh: something silly, something stupid, or jokes if they’re good, and sometimes just ridiculous things that you see happen in everyday life.

The last time I had a good laugh was just yesterday when I watched a video of George Carlin, an American comedian, talking about saving the planet. He’s a really funny guy, but you never know when something funny will happen – sometimes when you least expect it.

Do you like making other people laugh? (Why?/Why not?)

I’ve never really thought about it. I used to make people laugh a lot with some of my comments, but I’m not sure if making people laugh is something that concerns me, so I don’t think I would say that I like to or don’t like to make people laugh – it’s not that important to me.

I guess it’s more a case of, if I say something and someone laughs because they think it’s funny, then fine, that’s great and I’m happy that they thought it was funny, and they’re laughing about it, but I don’t go around trying to make people laugh on purpose or trying to be funny all the time.



Do you think it’s important for people to laugh? (Why?/Why not?)

I think it’s quite a good thing to laugh - it relaxes you. Someone once said that laughing is like ‘internal jogging’ – it’s good for you.

But you can only laugh if you find something funny, right, and some people just don’t laugh much naturally, but I don’t think that’s a problem because everybody’s different. Some people seem to laugh at almost anything, and others are generally more serious and rarely laugh.

Is laughing the same as feeling happy, do you think? (Why? / Why not?)

No, I don’t think it is the same. I’m happy most days, but I don’t go around laughing all the time. Maybe you show that you’re happy when you are laughing - but I think you can feel happy without showing it by laughing.

It’s like if you have a good job and things are going well in your life - you’re naturally going to feel happy, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to go around laughing in front of everyone. Happiness and laughter are quite different, although the two are often combined.

Related
  • Cambridge IELTS Book 7 Speaking Test 2 Part 2
  • Cambridge IELTS Book 7 Speaking Test 2 Part 3


    What are the most popular answers to the question: What kind of thing make you laugh?

    • A good joke
    • A funny story
    • A silly situation
    • Something unexpected

    What are the most popular answers to the question: Is laughing the same as feeling happy?

    • They are very similar, but not identical.
    • People often laugh when they are happy. But there are also times when people laugh despite feeling unhappy or uncomfortable.
    • Some people believe that laughter is a way to release tension or distract oneself from difficult situations.
    • Others think that laughing is simply a pleasurable experience.

    How do people answer the question: Do you like making other people laugh?

    • Some people enjoy making others laugh because it makes them feel happy and satisfied
    • Others like the feeling of being in control or being able to make someone else happy
    • Some people do not enjoy making other people laugh, but they do it because they think it is funny or entertaining
    • Others may feel uncomfortable or shy about making others laugh.

    How do most people answer the question: Do you like making other people laugh?

    Overall, most people responded to this question by saying that they do enjoy making other people laugh.

    This response is likely because laughter is contagious and often creates a more positive atmosphere.

    Additionally, many people find joy in bringing happiness to others. Some specific responses include:

    • It feels good to make others laugh
    • I love seeing the joy on other people's faces
    • Laughter is the best medicine
    • Making others laugh makes me feel good about myself
    • I enjoy making people laugh, but I also like making them think

    In general, then, it seems that most people appreciate the ability to make others laugh and derive satisfaction from doing so. Why? Because laughter is linked with positive emotions and creates social bonding.



    How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions?