Do You Like To Have Flowers In Your Home? Speaking Part 1


Cambridge IELTS Book 8

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Here are some examples of Part 1 questions from the IELTS speaking test.

The topic is flowers; in some cases, there is more than one sample answer provided to illustrate alternative ways of answering these kinds of IELTS speaking test questions.

Flowers

Speaking Part 1 Questions

Do you like to have flowers in your home?

Answer A:

Yes, I do. I think they add a lot of color to the place. They’re a nice natural touch and as they only last about a week I usually replace them with some other flowers so there’s always something different to look at.

They bring a bit of life to the apartment, which is something I like.

Answer B:

Personally I don’t really bother with flowers where I live. I just don’t think they are important enough to go and buy them, then arrange them, and water them everyday.

I like flowers, but I can’t be bothered having them around the house. If I want to add a splash of color I’d prefer to buy a painting or something similar for my home.



Where would you go to buy flowers?

It would depend on the occasion or event, and who I was buying them for.

If it was just a small gift for someone and it wasn’t a particularly special event or anything like that then I’d probably pick some flowers up at the supermarket because they usually have a good selection and they’re always fresh and good quality.

If it was for a special event, or someone really special, then I guess I’d go to a florist and look for something appropriate for the person or event.

I think each place is good depending on what you need. The supermarket is convenient and the flowers are good, but at the florist you can usually find something a little different or out of the ordinary, and they usually deliver them as well.

On what occasions would you give someone flowers?

Flowers aren’t always my first choice as a gift, so it would depend on the event and the person.

But I usually take flowers with me when I visit my mother for example, because she loves flowers.

I would also buy them for my girlfriend’s birthday and any other special occasion because she really adores them.

Then there are events such as funerals when flowers are normally sent or delivered to the family, and maybe other special occasions such as the graduation of my sister or cousin from university, because they both like flowers.



Is it important to you to have flowers and plants in your home?

Not really, I don't have a green thumb so I usually stick to fake plants. However, I think they can add a nice touch to a room and make it feel more homey. Although I don't have any plants in my home right now, I'm considering getting some succulents to see if I can keep them alive.

Are flowers important in your culture?

Personally, I don’t think they flowers are very important in the culture.

They may be popular, especially with women, but apart from the well accepted traditions of roses for romantic occasions, I can’t really associate a particular flower with any important special event or meaning.

I think giving flowers is a common thing, many people do it regularly, but as for any special significance, I can’t really think of any.

They’re a very popular gift to give someone but lots of people prefer to give and receive other types of gifts too, so I don’t think they are really that important in terms of the culture, unlike in some other countries maybe.


How would you answer these Cambridge 8 Speaking Test 1 questions about flowers?


Cambridge IELTS Book 8 Speaking Test Part 2


What is your favorite flower?

My favorite flower is the rose, in particular yellow roses.

Why do you like this flower?

I like roses because they are beautiful and have a pleasant smell. And I like yellow roses in particular because they are happy and cheerful.

What is the most special thing about this flower?

The most special thing about roses is that they can symbolize love and appreciation.

How often do you give flowers to people?

I don't give flowers to people as often as I'd like to, but whenever I have the chance, I try to make it count.

Who do you usually give flowers to?

I usually give flowers to my loved ones, and close friends, or as a way to show appreciation.

What was the last occasion when you gave flowers to someone?

The last time I gave flowers to someone was to show my appreciation for all they've done for me.

What was the most memorable occasion when you received flowers?

The most memorable occasion when I received flowers was probably on Valentine's Day from my significant other. It was a really sweet gesture that meant a lot to me.