Questions about Pets & Animals

IELTS Speaking Topics 2015

Questions About Pets & Animals

Do you like animals?

Yes, I love animals! I have always loved animals, and have had pets my entire life. My family currently has two dogs.

What's your favorite animal? (Why?)

I have always been a big fan of cats, ever since I was a little girl. I think they are so elegant and beautiful creatures. I also love how independent they are, and how they can be such loving and loyal companions.

Do you have any pets?

Yes, I have two dogs, a golden retriever, and a Labrador retriever.

Are people fond of animals where you live?

Yes, I think people in my country are generally quite fond of animals. There are a lot of pet owners, and many people who visit animal shelters.

Do many people in your country keep animals at home (or, keep a pet)?

I would say that a majority of people in my country have at least one pet. Dogs and cats are the most popular, but there are also a lot of people with fish, birds, and other animals.

What are some popular pets in your country?

The most popular ones are dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles.

Do you think people should have pets?

I think it depends on the person. Some people are better suited to having pets than others. Pets require a lot of responsibility and care, so I think it's important that someone considering getting a pet is prepared to take on that responsibility.

Do people in your country like to raise animals? If so, what animals?

In my country, people generally only raise animals if they are going to eat them. So, the most popular animals to raise are chickens, pigs, and cattle.

What kinds of animals do people keep as pets?

The most common pets in my country are dogs and cats. People also keep fish, birds, and reptiles as pets.

Do you notice any differences in the way that people perceive pets nowadays compared to before?

I think the biggest change is that people are now more likely to get pets for companionship rather than just for practical purposes.

Is it a good idea to have pets in cities?

Yes, I think cities are generally suitable for keeping pets. There are a lot of pet-friendly apartments and parks, and most stores sell pet food and supplies.

Do you think it is necessary to neuter or spay pets?

I think it is a good idea to neuter or spay pets, especially if you are not planning to breed them. It can help with behavior issues and population control.

Why do you think children like animals?

I think children like animals because they are cute, cuddly, and sometimes funny. Animals can also be a good source of companionship.

What animals do children like?

Children generally like animals that are cute and/or cuddly, such as puppies, kittens, rabbits, and teddy bears.

Did you have a favorite animal as a child? What was it?

When I was a child, my favorite animal was a puppy. I loved how playful and innocent they were.

Did you keep any pets as a child? If so, what were they?

When I was a child, I had a dog and a cat. My dog was a golden retriever and my cat was a calico.

Do you think children should have pets?

Yes, I think children should have pets because they can teach them responsibility, empathy, and compassion. Pets can also be a source of companionship.

Have you ever raised (or, had) a pet?

Yes, I have raised multiple pets throughout my life. I have had dogs, cats, rabbits, and even a snake.

What are some benefits of children having pets?

As I mentioned before, children can learn responsibility, empathy, and compassion from having a pet. They can also learn how to care for another living creature. Pets can also provide children with companionship and unconditional love.

Do you think there are any drawbacks to having a pet?

One potential drawback of having a pet is that it can be expensive. Pets need food, shelter, and veterinary care. Another potential drawback is that some pets can be high-maintenance and require a lot of time and attention.

Would you allow your own children to have a pet? Why or why not?

I would allow my children to raise a pet because I think it would be a great opportunity for them to learn responsibility. I also think it would be a lot of fun for the whole family.

Which animals do you commonly see on farms in your country?

In my country, we have chickens, cows, pigs, and sheep.

Do you think farm animals are important?

Yes, they're vital. They provide us with food and other products.

How are these animals used?

Farm animals are used for many purposes. They provide us with food, wool, and other products.

What are the benefits of having farm animals?

Farm animals provide us with food and other products. They also teach responsibility to children that live on a farm.

Do you think all families should have farm animals?

No, I don’t think all families should have farm animals. Some people may not want the responsibility of taking care of them.

Is raising farm animals important? Why/why not?

Yes, I think raising farm animals is important. They provide us with food and other products. Plus, it can be a fun and rewarding experience.

Is there a famous wild animal that comes from your country?

Yes, the most famous wild animal from my country is the lion. It is a symbol of strength and power.

Do you have a favorite wild animal?

Yes, my favorite wild animal is the elephant. I think they are amazing creatures. They are very intelligent and have a strong sense of family.