Describe a Goal You Hope to Achieve in the Future


Describe a goal you hope to achieve

Describe a Goal That You Hope to Achieve in the Future

IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is ...

Can I see your ID?

Yes, here’s my ID card

Where are you from?

I’m from [city] in [region/area]. OR I’m from [city]. (If you live in the same city where you are doing the IELTS speaking test)

Do you work or study?

I work. I’m an Operations Assistant at a company here in [city].

Do you usually take a bus or a taxi to work? Why?

I normally take the bus because it’s convenient for me and a lot cheaper than taking a taxi every day, although occasionally if the weather is really bad, or I’m running late, I’ll hop in a taxi to avoid being late.

Is it easy to use buses or taxis in your area?

Yes, I think so, it can be a bit busy during the rush hour, but in general, there isn’t much of a problem, unless there’s an accident. Buses are frequent, so you don’t have to wait too long to go anywhere and because of the dedicated bus lanes they can actually be faster than a taxi or driving in some cases, depending exactly where you want to go.

For you, what are the benefits (advantages) of using that form of transportation?

As I mentioned before, using the bus is cheaper than taking a taxi on a regular basis. It’s easy for me because there’s a bus stop near where I live. The service is frequent and generally quick in terms of getting where I want to go, and I can read or listen to music or do something else while I’m traveling, or just relax and plan my day at work.

Then there are also the wider benefits such as being more efficient in terms of energy than private transport; buses are extremely efficient in terms of how many people can be transported for the amount of fuel consumed. So there’s an environmental benefit, too.

What do you like to (or usually) do while you are traveling?

It varies, sometimes I just listen to music or an audiobook, other times I spend some time texting my friends, or possibly reading some reports or other data for work, and sometimes I use the time on the bus to plan out my day, or even a couple of days. It just depends on which day it is and what’s happening.

IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe a goal that you hope to achieve in the future

You should say:

  • what this goal has to do with your life
  • when you started thinking about this goal
  • how you will achieve it

and explain why this goal is important for you.



IELTS Cue Card Sample Answer

Describe a goal that you want to achieve in the future

My biggest goal at the moment is to study for my PhD in Australia and get my dream job there. It is a priority because it could change my life forever and lead to a considerably different future instead of staying here in my own country.

I’ve been planning and working towards this goal for the last couple of years, ever since I finished my undergraduate degree. I began to look at the employment opportunities, both here and in countries like Australia, Canada, the USA, and the UK. It was then that I decided that studying and working abroad was something I wanted to do in my life.

I don’t know if the working part will be something permanent or possibly only for a few years – a lot will depend on what happens when I get there and if there are long-term opportunities available for me.

However, once I graduate from my master’s program, which I’m completing at the moment, I hope to be accepted into a doctoral research program at Queensland University in Australia.

Completing the IELTS test is one of the requirements for the application process, so I must get a good overall score on the test. I’ve already organized most of the other requirements, like papers, documenting my relevant work and academic experience, and other things like that. So you could say I’m in the last stage of achieving the goal that I set myself.

It’s important for me personally, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it would be an incredible opportunity to further my academic knowledge and participate in research with some of the best-known researchers in my field. Secondly, it would be an amazing personal experience in terms of growing and developing as an individual. So I’m looking forward to finally achieving it.




IELTS Speaking Part 3

Do you think people should talk to others about their goals?

It’s not always necessary to describe a goal you want to achieve in the future to somepne else. Although if someone wants to share their goals then it’s okay. I mean, if me and my best friend had the same goal – then it would make sense that we talk about it with each other.

But If I had a personal goal, whatever it was, and it didn’t affect anybody else but me, I probably wouldn’t bother sharing it with others. For example, if I made a goal to lose weight, read more, or learn a new skill, I’d probably just keep it to myself.

But, in the case of my goal to go to Australia, it was something I couldn’t really just keep to myself because it affects my family and friends as well, and even though it’s not a shared goal, it was something which we did talk about together at times.

What is more rewarding, working towards the goal or achieving it?

Personally, I found both are just as rewarding. It’s sometimes difficult working to achieve what you want to do, especially if things don’t always go as planned, and sometimes it can take a long time, as in my case, but actually looking back at the steps I took to get where I am now, it was a good journey, and I enjoyed it.

I met other people with the same goal and made some new friends, and it really was like a journey – not all of it was exciting, but there were some important and memorable moments.

Now that I’m almost ready to go, I’m excited about the opportunity but I think the whole process has been interesting and positive looking back on it now. On a deeper level, it’s not just a matter of achieving my goal – it’s how that will affect the rest of my life, and that’s something that I still have to live and experience, so it’s a lot more than just one simple moment of reward – bigger and more important rewards may yet come in the future.

Do you think it’s important to have realistic goals?

Well, in my view if it’s not realistic – then it’s not really a goal – it’s just a dream. A goal is something which is achievable, something you can actually work towards, whereas if it’s not realistic - like you could never achieve it - then it’s just a thought, or a dream, as I said – it’s not something which is actionable so you’ll probably never achieve it.

For example, I could think that I’d like to be a professional soccer star and earn lots of money; now for me, that’s just a dream because I don’t even play soccer, but for somebody else, a young person who plays soccer, and has a real talent for it, becoming a professional soccer player might be a realistic goal, something they could work towards and eventually achieve it they take the right steps and do what’s necessary to get there.

A lot depends on your own perspective and circumstances in terms of whether a ‘goal’ is realistic or not.

Is it always necessary to have something to aspire to in the future?

No, not always; not in the same way as having a goal that will change your life. There are plenty of people who don’t really have any big goals for the future, and that’s okay. Many people just want to be happy with their family or job, and that’s enough for them. I guess those are goals which most people could say they have.

It’s not always necessary to be working towards something big, or constantly trying to improve yourself or learn new things. Some people are like that naturally and others are more relaxed and seem happy doing the things they do and are not very ambitious about achieving other things in life, and that’s fine for them, as long as they’re happy about it.

Everyone is different, and that’s a good thing. If everybody wanted exactly the same things in life, it would be boring.




FAQ

  • What are you aiming for in the future?
  • My goal is to find a stable job, a place to live and settle down, and start a family.

    Also, I plan on traveling the world with my new partner for a while before returning home, hopefully with some children in tow.

    My dream is to write some novels, publish them worldwide, and live on an enchanting mountain somewhere in Europe.

    I'd like my children to grow up appreciating the scenic beauty around them and love playing near the stream nearby our home. So they can grow up safe from all the dangers of city life. With fresh fruits and vegetables growing in abundance outside our home, it won't be hard to maintain good health and enjoy long lives.

  • Do you think it is OK to set goals for some life-impacting changes like quitting your job (if that is what you want)?
  • Yes and no. It's ok to set goals for life changes if that is what you truly want and need, but you must first go about setting those goals by making progress on some less-arduous priorities.

    And it's worth testing the waters as well - seeing how things feel as you begin pursuing them - to be sure these are the right sorts of changes to make in your life.

    Ultimately, success is all about people who can establish themselves as authors of their lives. When they look back over everything they have done, everything they did was chosen with care and purpose.

    Be deliberate in your life choices! Some people use measurable events like milestones to bring larger goals into sharper focus.



  • How do you know if you are setting attainable goals for the future?
  • Well, if you think of it like a pyramid and the top point represents success, and the bottom point is failure - you can see that you want to make sure your goals are somewhere near the top of those two points.

    You don't want to set goals too high (too much like reaching for something on a high shelf) because there's no way of knowing if you'll ever get that goal or if it will even be possible.

    But you also don't want to set them too low because then you might risk losing out on the real victory of a more challenging goal.

  • What are the best ways to set goals?
  • One of the best ways is to set S.M.A.R.T Goals: Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic and Time-bound.

    Specific: Do you know what the goal is? Actionable steps with a defined outcome Inclusive or comprehensive with no missing pieces. Quantifiable or at least trackable to prove it happened Useful in aiding behavior changes. Timed so that people have specific deadlines for achieving goals. Clear - unambiguous statements of goals without too much detail.

    Measurable: Is the goal easy to measure by simple counting? Does it make sense (is it achievable)? Can validation be done without too much difficulty? Can there be an initial benchmark against which progress can be gauged clearly each time you look at it?

    Actionable: Is the goal actionable? Can you identify the next steps to move toward the goal clearly and unambiguously? Is there a logical and realistic sequence of steps?

    Realistic: Is the goal relevant to your life objectives? Does it fit in with everything else that you're doing? Does it connect emotionally as well as practically (is it personally meaningful)? Is there a big "why" behind this goal - something that is going to make you go the extra mile?

    Time-Bound: Is there a time by when you need to accomplish this goal or reach this milestone clearly defined? If not, how much time do you want (and why) and what's realistically achievable in that timescale. Timing should also consider how much effort will be required and what other demands on your time exist.



  • Do your goals change with age?
  • Yes, your goals change with age. You may at one point want to be famous or get rich or any of the many other things you might want.

    When you are young, it is easier to imagine these new realities, and so they seem possible for anyone willing to work hard enough.

    But as time goes on, these dreams start to get replaced by family members, children, and just life in general.

    The reality of living begins fighting against your dreams which makes the opportunity to make dreams a reality smaller than ever before.

  • What things should you consider when deciding on what future goals to aim for?
  • 1. Personalty traits - You need to know what motivates you or not, so you can figure out whether you should be aiming for hard goals or more achievable ones.

    2. Career Goals - these can help plot your career path early on, and without them, it could end up taking years of trial and error to find that perfect job that suits your needs the best.

    3. What do you like doing? Some careers are overflowing with development opportunities, while others may make you feel like you're suffocating your future goals. Careers also vary in terms of prestige - prestigious jobs tend to offer higher salaries. So consider if this is an important factor for deciding your future career.

  • When is it time that you alter your current future goal plan?
  • It's never too late to turn your life around and change your future. If you do, it means that success is a possibility for you - once you figure out exactly what will make you happy.

    Find a way to live a better lifestyle by adjusting your diet, fitness routine or focusing on one passion more than another. You deserve happiness!

    You should alter your future goal plan when you realize that it is not working. You know when your goals are not working because you will feel unhappy, unfulfilled, and angry.

    If you have been struggling to find the perfect job for years, you may need to rethink what you want out of your career or change your job-seeking approach!



  • What has been a valuable life lesson you’ve learned in the last few years?
  • "Don't compare yourself to others."

    My personal experience with this lesson: shortly after I started working at the company, 3 of us that were new employees got into an argument about something that had come up on Facebook.

    In my opinion, they were making too much out of it, and I only got more upset as they continued.

    Their response? "I can't believe you're comparing your feelings about something to ours." How do you respond to someone who says something like that?

    Maybe not much of a 'life lesson' rather than a reminder that sometimes people can be idiots. Nonetheless, you never know when a similar situation might arise, and it's best to be prepared. Everyone is so sensitive nowadays!

  • What was the most challenging goal you had to accomplish, and how did it change your perspective on things?
  • One of the most challenging goals I had to accomplish was pulling myself from a place where everything in my life seemed out of control.

    The next 12 months provided a roller coaster of events and relationships as I managed to smoothly transition into a well-organized lifestyle, work routine, and fulfilling social life.

    The journey changed both me and those around me for the better. It opened up new opportunities that I never thought possible before, including getting engaged last year!

    I've switched from dreading going home at night because there was nothing to do to now looking forward to every day with excitement because I know there's always something planned on my calendar!

  • Do you feel your current situation is an opportunity for personal growth, or do you feel frustrated at times? Why is that?
  • Most of the time, I feel my life is a constant array of opportunities for personal growth, but it can be a great excuse to become stagnant.

    Remember there's a balance between giving yourself enough time to regroup and recharge, so you don't burn out, and continuing to take advantage of the many opportunities presented.

    Personally speaking, I often get asked this question by friends when they're going through tough times in their lives - whether personally or professionally.

    I find myself telling them how much better my day was before their email from hell showed up in my inbox! It may not be pleasant for them to have to go through all that suckitude, but in hindsight, it becomes fodder for future growth and learning - something we should all be open-minded about.



  • How would you define success both professionally and personally, and what does this mean for your future?
  • Professionally, I define success by job promotions, a noticeable increase in income/material well-being, and acknowledged expertise in my professional skills. Personally, it's when I can live life to the fullest with no regrets because I have maximized my personal potential.

  • If you had to describe your ideal future life, what would you say you wanted most out of it?
  • My future life would be just like my current life, except with more money. I'm kidding!

    I want to live in the natural world near trees and lakes, connected to nature. No TV or computer distractions. Just time for myself, where I can sleep deeply without interruption, so I wake up every day feeling refreshed and ready for anything. Not perfect all the time, but close enough!

    My ideal future would include a fulfilling career. I have always wanted to be a professional artist and designer. I'd love to use my creativity in all aspects of my life.

    Art has always been a driving force in my life, dating back to childhood drawing sessions with 4H or rec sketches from classes now that I am an adult.

    In the future, I'd like to immortalize all of my creations as prints for others to enjoy. And share them on Etsy and through exhibitions. I'll create originals as commissions for friends and collectors who want something unique for their home or office space.



    Good luck with your IELTS exam