Latest IELTS Writing Questions & Answers Task 1 | Task 2

Describe a goal that you hope to achieve in the future | 2016 IELTS Speaking Test Questions & Answers


IELTS Speaking Test Describe a Goal That You Hope to Achieve in the Future
A Goal You Would Like to Achieve in the Future



IELTS Speaking Test | Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is …

Can I see your ID?

Yes, here’s my ID card

Where are you from?

I’m from [city] in [region/area]. OR I’m from [city]. (If you live in the same city where you are doing the IELTS speaking test)

Do you work or study?

I work. I’m an Operations Assistant at a company here in [city].

Do you usually take a bus or a taxi to work? Why?

I normally take the bus because it’s convenient for me and a lot cheaper than taking a taxi every day, although occasionally if the weather is really bad, or I’m running late, I’ll hop in a taxi to avoid being late.

Is it easy to use buses or taxis in your area?

Yes, I think so, it can be a bit busy during the rush hour, but in general there isn’t much of a problem, unless there’s an accident. Buses are frequent, so you don’t have to wait too long to go anywhere and because of the dedicated bus lanes they can actually be faster than a taxi or driving in some cases, depending exactly where you want to go.

For you, what are the benefits (advantages) of using that form of transportation?

As I mentioned before, using the bus is cheaper than taking a taxi on a regular basis. It’s easy for me because there’s a bus stop near where I live. The service is frequent and generally quick in terms of getting where I want to go, and I can read or listen to music or do something else while I’m traveling, or just relax and plan my day at work.

Then there are also the wider benefits such as being more efficient in terms of energy than private transport; buses are extremely efficient in terms of how many people can be transported for the amount of fuel consumed. So there’s an environmental benefit, too

What do you like to (or usually) do while you are travelling?

It varies, sometimes I just listen to music or an audio book, other times I spend some time texting my friends, or possibly reading some reports or other data for work, and sometimes I use the time on the bus to plan out my day, or even a couple of days. It just depends which day it is and what’s happening.

IELTS Speaking Test | Part 2

IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 Cue Card Topic Questions

Describe a goal that you hope to achieve in the future

You should say:
  • What has this goal to do with your life?
  • When did you start thinking about this goal?
  • How will you achieve it?
and explain why this is important for you.


IELTS Speakig Test Answers | A goal you hope to achieve

My biggest goal at the moment is to study for my PhD in Australia. It is something which is very important to me because it will literally change my life forever, and could determine a considerably different future for me as opposed to staying here in my own country.

I’ve been planning and working towards this goal for the last couple of years, even since I finished my undergraduate degree and began to look at the employment opportunities, both here and also the opportunities to work in countries like Australia, Canada, the USA and the UK. It was at that point that I decided that studying and working abroad was something I really wanted to do in my life.

I don’t know if the working part will be something permanent or possibly only for a few years – a lot will depend on exactly what happens when I get there, and if there are long term opportunities available for me.

However, once I graduate from my master’s program, which I’m completing at the moment, I hope to be accepted into a doctoral research program at Queensland University, in Australia.

Completing the IELTS test is one of the requirements as part of the application, so it’s essential I get a good overall score in the test. Most of the other requirements I’ve already organized, like papers, documenting my relevant work and academic experience, and other things like that, so you could say I’m in the last stage of achieving the goal that I set myself.

It’s important for me personally, for a couple of reasons, firstly, it would be an incredible opportunity to further my academic knowledge and also participate in research with some of the best known researchers in my field. Secondly, it would be an amazing personal experience in terms of growing and developing as an individual. So I’m really looking forward to finally achieving it.

IELTS Speaking Test | Part 3

Do you think people should talk to others about their goals?

It’s not necessary in my view, although if someone wants to share their goals then it’s okay. I mean, if me and my best friend had the same goal – then it would makes sense that we talk about it with each other. But If I had a personal goal, whatever it was, and it didn’t affect anybody else but me, I probably wouldn’t bother sharing it with others. For example, if I made a goal to lose weight, read more, or learn a new skill, I’d probably just keep it to myself.

But, in the case of my goal to go to Australia, it was something I couldn’t really just keep to myself because it affects my family and friends as well, and even though it’s not a shared goal, it was something which we did talk about together at times.

What is more rewarding, working towards the goal or achieving it?

Personally, I found both are just as rewarding. It’s sometimes difficult to working to achieve what you want to do, especially if things don’t always go as planned, and sometimes it can take a long time, as in my case, but actually looking back at the steps I took to get where I am now, it was a good journey, and I enjoyed it. I met other people with the same goal and made some new friends, and it really was like a journey – not all of it was exciting, but there were some important and memorable moments.

Now that I’m almost ready to go, I’m excited about the opportunity but I think the whole process has been interesting and positive looking back on it now. On a deeper level, it’s not just a matter of achieving my goal – it’s how that will affect the rest of my life, and that’s something that I still have to live and experience, so it’s a lot more than just one simple moment of reward – bigger and more important rewards may yet come in the future.

Do you think it’s important to have realistic goals?

Well, in my view if it’s not realistic – then it’s not really a goal – it’s just a dream. A goal is something which is achievable, something you can actually work towards, whereas if it’s not realistic, like you could never achieve it, then it’s just a thought, or a dream, as I said – it’s not something which is actionable so you’ll probably never achieve it.

For example, I could think that I’d like to be a professional soccer star and earn lots of money; now for me that’s just a dream because I don’t even play soccer, but for somebody else, a young person who plays soccer, and has real talent for it, becoming a professional soccer player might be a realistic goal, something they could work towards and eventually achieve it they take the right steps and do what’s necessary to get there.

A lot depends on your own perspective and circumstances in terms of whether a ‘goal’ is realistic or not.

Is it always necessary to have something to aspire to in the future?

No, not always; not in the same way as having a goal that will change your life. There are plenty of people who don’t really have any big goals for the future, and that’s okay. Many people just want to be happy with their family or job, and that’s enough for them. I guess those are goals which most people could say they have.

It’s not always necessary to be working towards something big, or constantly trying to improve yourself, or learn new things. Some people are like that naturally and others are more relaxed and seem happy doing the things they do and are not very ambitious about achieving other things in life, and that’s fine for them, as long as they’re happy about it.

Everyone is different, and that’s a good thing. If everybody wanted exactly the same things in life, it would be boring.


IELTS test takers reading this IELTS speaking test also searched for:

  • goal in life IELTS speaking topic
  • cue card of goal
  • IELTS blog speaking topics
  • describe a goal you want to achieve in the future

Quick & Easy Tips to Improve Your IELTS Speaking

Essential IELTS Speaking Videos

The best IELTS tips from British Council IELTS trainers. Watching these will seriously improve your speaking for IELTS!