Newspapers & Magazines Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test Questions & Answers

Cambridge IELTS 8 speaking test-magazines & newspapers
Cambridge IELTS Book 8 speaking test questions and sample answers, Part 1, about reading newspapers and magazines. How would you answer these questions about reading newspapers and magazines?

Cambridge IELTS Book 8 Speaking Test Questions

Newspapers and Magazines Part 1

Which magazines and newspapers do you read [Why?]


I only read magazines and newspapers if I’m waiting someplace and they are there, and there is no other alternative.

Really, I prefer to get my news from the internet. I tend to read the news online regarding whichever country I’m in at the moment, as I travel a lot, so it’s nice to keep up with what’s happening wherever I am.

As for magazines, I used to subscribe to several in the past, but not anymore. It’s just so much easier to find the information online nowadays, not to mention how much paper it saves not having old newspapers and magazines lying around the apartment for months.

What kinds of articles are you most interested in? [Why?]


Really, it depends, as I said, if I’m travelling then I’ll try to gen up on whatever are the latest events in whichever country I’m visiting – the latest news and articles of interest, that sort of thing.

Other than that, I read what I need to for work, which covers many different areas and can be very diverse most of the time.

For pleasure, I prefer to read either a good novel or maybe some of the alternative media coverage and their reports about world events.

Most of my reading is for work though, background research and such like, so I would have to say that I read more factual articles than anything else typically.

Have you ever read a newspaper or magazine in a foreign language? [When/Why?]


Yes, all the time. I lived in another country for several years, so reading in a foreign language was a normal activity for me, not just newspapers and magazines, but all kinds of documents and literature. I still do it to maintain my reading skills.

Do you think reading a newspaper or magazine in a foreign language is a good way to learn the language? [Why/Why not?]


Yes, but it depends on your language level. If you are just beginning to learn a language then it can be very difficult and frustrating – certainly not the best way to try and learn a foreign language.

But as you progress and develop your vocabulary it is a good way to learn expressions and phrases related to common topics in the news and current affairs or related to a specific topic in the case of magazines.



How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions about magazines and newspapers?

What's a popular magazine in your country?

Why is it so popular - what do you think people like about it?

Do you read this magazine yourself? Why? Why not?


Part 2