Describe something you have achieved of which you are proud

IELTS Speaking Part 2 | Achievements

Describe something you have achieved of which you are proud

You should say:
  • what it was
  • when you achieved it
  • if it was difficult
and explain why you are proud of this achievement.

IELTS Cue Card Sample Answer

A few years ago, I decided to spend the most part of my time painting. I had studied and finished my career and I was at a critical moment about what to do with my life.

I realized that I had neglected my passion in life which filled me with happiness. I had a dream; to paint, but, I had spent many years studying my career and dedicating myself to other things, and I had painted in a long time.

But, someone gave me an easel, and this was the beginning of the process. I began to buy everything that I needed, brushes, oils, paints, chemicals, turpentine, etc.

I spent hours, sometimes whole days, standing in front of my easel painting, realizing my dream with amazing colours, going back to the centre of my passion.

By the end of the year, I had painted a total of seven pictures and I had ideas for two more in my mind, ready to start. I learned a lot; different techniques, how to mix colours, and incursions into different forms and ideas. Nobody taught me, I did it myself, with a lot of curiosity about art and various artists.

But not everything was ideal. The problem was that I didn't want to sell any of my pictures. I was fond of them, they were part of me, my creations, and to let them go became a difficult issue for me.

I thought that it would be better to sell them after having an exhibition. Many months passed, and my apartment was filled with paintings full of colours and stories and little by little I was left without space to put them.

But one day, I made a decision. I was going to stop making excuses about my paintings and I was going to sell them. If I wanted to make a living from painting and not just make it a short chapter in my life, I needed to sell my paintings and make this passion economically profitable.

So, I started looking for spaces that would allow me to exhibit them. I learned about the requirements to do so, thinking about prices and coordinating everything to make an exhibition of what I had created.

It was easier than I had thought; things were happening in a fluid way. I found not only one place but several places to exhibit my paintings, most of them I sold and with that money I continued to paint and make my dream possible.

After that, I felt very happy and satisfied. That process changed many things in my life, my vocation, my path, overcoming fears, and I became stronger and more secure. I made a dream a reality in my life.

Now it's what I do, travelling and painting, filling the lives of others with colour. The road was difficult and very uncertain, but it was an achievement that made me feel proud of myself.