Describe an Interesting Animal | IELTS Cue Card


Describe an Interesting Animal

Part 2 Cue Card IELTS Speaking Topic

Describe an interesting animal

You should say:
  • which animal it is
  • where you would normally see this animal
  • how you learned about this animal
and explain why you think this animal is interesting.




Cue Card Sample answer

I'm a really big fan of dogs. And I don't just love them, this animal has always fascinated me.

I'm especially fond of the Chihuahua, the cutest of animals, but I've similarly had many interesting experiences with Labradors.

When I was a kid, they were the only pets allowed in our home - we had two Labradors.

I can still remember how terrified I was the first time I saw them, but it didn't take long for me to fall in love with them.

Come to think of it, that may be where my interest in this animal sparked. I learned so much while raising them.

The impact these animals had on my life was so immense that I knew I would study veterinary science ever since I was young, and I did!

My post-graduate education was in the same field as well. I'm now a certified and qualified animal doctor.

The course helped me understand so much about animals. And not just how their body works.

I learned about their psychology - why they behave the way they do, and that for me was pretty special.

It was like I found a whole new side of the animal I thought I knew so well.

At first glance, a dog may look like every other animal, but it's different. It's a sweet, fun-to-be-around animal, but it’s fierce when it needs to be.

It's also very loyal! I mean, a dog won't hesitate to defend you whenever you walk into a hostile environment - but I would not count on a Chihuahua for this.

To be honest, as a vet, I find a dog more interesting than other animals. I meet them almost everywhere I go, from my workplace (of course!) to my home, to the park.

Last week I even saw a couple of them in the mall. Most of my friends also have dogs, so I see them anytime I visit their homes.

On occasions, I interact with military search dogs, and well, let's just say they're not as fun as many people think.

Throughout my career, I've seen different dog species, and I must say, they're the most fascinating animals in the world.

I say this because of one thing, a dog actually has emotions!

They can experience joy, love, anger, fear, even jealousy.

Scientifically, a dog releases the 'feel-good hormone' oxytocin whenever you pet it and stare into its eyes.

That's why they are great to be around when you're lonely; they like spending time with you.

I'm actually one of those people who talk to their dog whenever something is bothering me.

They are pretty good listeners - even though I know they don't understand what I'm saying.

I also find them to be a bit smarter than most domestic animals. I've been involved in a study that tested a dog's intelligence, and found it to be almost equal to that of a 2-year old child!

Another interesting thing about a dog is that it has the best sense of smell compared to other animals - humans included.

In fact, it can smell fear in humans and read a person's body language to determine who in a group doesn't like it.

That's why they are used during search operations by the police.

Recently I've seen an interesting behavior in my dog. It's like it can tell time, or rather, keep track of hours.

I usually take my dog along with me for my morning run at 7 am, and of late, I usually find it by the doorstep every morning at seven, ready to lick my feet, even when I'm not in the mood for running.

It also seems to know when my kids will be home because it's always by the gate right around the time they arrive.

A trained dog is another quite interesting animal. The fact that it can be taught to obey commands is impressive.

I've however found some species harder to train than others, but all the same, I think that a dog makes the world a happier and better place - and people should spend more hours with this interesting animal.

This sample answer is an example of how to answer a cue card question about how to describe an interesting animal in the IELTS test.

Use it during your next practice session with IELTS cue cards for tips to describe other animals.

You can even use some of the ideas when practicing for the IELTS test Part 1 and Part 3 of the IELTS test for speaking.



Next Question