Describe Something Important That You Bought Recently

IELTS Speaking PART 2 | Cue Card | Describe something imortant you bought recently

Describe something important that you bought recently

You should say:
  • what it is
  • how you bought it
  • why it is important
and say how you felt about the purchase of this thing.

IELTS Cue Card Sample Answer

Okay, so a few months ago I bought a new phone. My old one was really old, I mean really, really old, and the screen was chipped and broken, and the battery life was almost non-existent. Sometimes I had to charge it twice a day.

Anyway, I decided it was time for a change because every time I used my phone I would become frustrated because I couldn’t see the screen properly or it would be running out of charge and I would have to look around for someplace to charge it up.

It was definitely time for an upgrade. I’m not a really tech-savvy person, but I read a couple of reviews online and kind of had an idea of what I liked.

A couple of days later I was waiting for my friend. We were supposed to meet up, and while I was waiting I walked past a kiosk selling phones, and I saw that they had the model I had been looking at online.

I asked the girl at the kiosk to show it to me, and she did, and I played around with it for a while. I asked her some questions about it and she was very knowledgeable about it and very helpful.

I had a good feeling about it, and so I decided to buy the phone there and then. I hadn’t planned to buy a phone that day, but I ended up getting it anyway, and I’ve been very happy with it ever since. It’s so much faster and easier to use than my old one.

My phone is important because I use it for everything, calling, texting, keeping in touch with friends in other countries, and many other things as well as playing games sometimes just to amuse myself. I would be lost without it.

Like I said, I had a good feeling about it, and the girl who helped me, so that’s why I bought it and I’m really pleased with it so far, so it was a good buy!

Quick Quiz

1. What motivated the speaker to purchase a new phone?

A) The desire to keep up with the latest technology trends.
B) Frustration with the poor performance of their old phone.
C) A sudden urge to buy something while waiting for a friend.

2. How did the speaker feel about the assistance they received at the phone kiosk?

A) Indifferent
B) Satisfied
C) Frustrated

3. Why does the speaker consider their new phone a "good buy"?

A) It was the cheapest option available.
B) It met their needs and expectations.
C) It was an impulse purchase.