IELTS Speaking Topics - Photos - Chocolates - Person You Met - Work Relationships

Latest IELTS speaking test questions & answers: friends, relationships, chocolate, photos

IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

What do you enjoy most about your work/studies?

My work is very interesting. I find it challenging and that's a good thing because I get bored very easily if I'm not fully engaged in something.

I enjoy working with my colleagues, and the workplace environment is excellent. But the most important thing for me is that I feel constantly stimulated to learn more, develop as a professional and seek to build a long-term career in this field.

Taking photos

Do you like taking photos?

Sometimes, yes. If I see something I like then I'll normally take a photo, or if I'm out with my friends and we're having a good time, well all take selfies wherever we are.

How often do you take photos?

It's hard to say, I took one this morning with some of the other IELTS candidates here at the center.

Before that, it was last weekend with some friends. I guess I take a couple a week nowadays.

It used to be a lot more, but now I'm so much busier that it doesn't seem so important to take photos of everything I do and everywhere I go.

What sort of photos do you normally take?

The most common ones are of me with my friends when we go out somewhere.

Sometimes I take photos of interesting buildings or maybe when I'm out hiking I'll take a few shots of the mountains or anything that catches my attention.

Did you like having your photo taken as a child?

Yes, I loved it! My mom used to make me pose like a model and she would dress me up and things like that and we would make a game of it.

I used to love having my photo taken with all my family when they came to visit. And I used to try and get into every photo that my parents took. It was like a challenge!

Chocolates

Do you like chocolates?

I love them! Chocolate is one of my favorite things to munch on while watching TV or watching a movie.

Why do you think chocolates are so popular with people?

Because they're sweet, delicious, and we know we shouldn't eat too many of them, but we love to do it.

It's like a guilty pleasure that is easy to enjoy.

But there's also another reason, science has proven that chocolate causes endorphins to be released which make us feel happy, so I guess you could call chocolate a naturally 'happy' food. What could be better?

Do you like to receive chocolates as a gift? Why/ Why not?

Absolutely, especially if it's chocolate that is good and something different from what I would normally buy personally.

A while ago, my friend bought me some delicious Swiss chocolate that she found on sale at the airport.

It was divine! I loved every bit of it. I even asked her to get me some more the next time she goes traveling, it was just so good!

Friends

Do you have a lot of friends or just a few?

When I was younger I used to have a lot more friends.

But since then we have all moved away from home and some are even in different countries now.

Nowadays, I have a few close friends who I see frequently and keep in contact with almost daily. They are my best friends.

What are some of the important qualities that you look for in a friend?

That's quite difficult to define, but I would say that I would never expect my friends to judge me.

A friend should be supportive and a good listener, and it's also good if they can help you when you have problems.

Really, there are so many qualities I can think of when I think of my friends, such as being patient, punctual, loyal, witty, clever, and so many more.

They're not all essential, but maybe the most important one is compatibility - it's vital that, as friends, you can get along easily with each other.



IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

Describe a person you recently met with again
You should say:
  • who the person was
  • where you met with him/her
  • why you met with him/her again
and explain if you would like to get to know this person better.

IELTS Sample Answer

About two months ago, I met a guy through work when I went to a meeting with some clients. He was working at the company I had to go to for the meeting, but I didn’t know that when I first met him.

On my way to the meeting, I grabbed a quick coffee from a coffee shop close to the office and that’s where I first bumped into him.

He was in front of me in the line, and I didn’t notice him at first. I was thinking about all the points I wanted to cover during the meeting.

Anyway, finally, I got to the front of the line, and it was my turn to pay, but when I offered the barista my money she explained that the guy in front of me had paid it forward for the next customer.

I didn’t understand at first, so she explained to me that sometimes customers who want to do a nice thing for others pay for the order that follows them as a nice surprise for the next customer.

It worked; I was surprised and thought it was a good idea, so I did the same and paid for the person behind me.

Grabbing my coffee, I headed out the door, and I was in such a rush I bumped into the same guy just outside the door.

I apologized and realized it was the guy who had been in front of me in the line and paid for my coffee.

I thanked him and told him it was very nice of him. Then I turned and started walking towards the office and he turned and started walking in the same direction.

I thought this was a bit odd, but then he asked me where I work and I told him and explained that this morning I was attending a meeting at a company around the corner, and told him the name of the company.

He smiled at me and explained that he worked there and that’s where he was going now. So he asked me if he could walk with me.

He was nice - I liked him, and when we arrived at the company he made sure I knew where to go for the meeting, and then said goodbye.

So, fast forward to a few days ago, when I had to attend a meeting with someone coming about the previous meeting I told you about. But I would never have guessed what happened next.

When I walked into the meeting room which had been reserved, the guy from the coffee shop was sitting there waiting for me.

Apparently, we were both working on the same project, but in different companies, and he had come to attend the meeting with me that day.

As I said earlier, I liked him and enjoyed talking to him, and I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other again before the project is finished, and that’s good because I would like to get to know him better because he seems nice and we got on well the last time we met.

Follow up question:

In general, do you like meeting people for the first time?

I’ve never really thought about it – I suppose it’s something I just do. You see, I meet a lot of people all the time because of my work, but I’ve never considered if it’s something I like doing.

I guess when I meet people outside of work, I find it extremely easy to strike up a conversation, and I don’t mind when someone starts talking to me.



IELTS Speaking Test Part 3

Relationships at work

In your opinion, can a boss and subordinate be good friends? Are there any potential problems?

Personally, I think it's possible. After all, they're just two people.

But, the problem is that it can interfere with work. When you become good friends with someone, it's more difficult to remain objective about their performance at work.

It's also more challenging to deal with any disciplinary matters that might arise.

And then there is the impact it might have on the other employees, especially if they believe that there is any favoritism within the workplace.

It can make for a very toxic work environment overall. It's not something I would do because the potential for problems is very high, and the problems could end up ruining your career if everything goes bad, so it's just not worth the risk.

What are some of the factors that make for a good working relationship between colleagues at work?

Probably one of the most important is mutual respect.

It's essential to respect other people's work and their opinions.

You might not always agree with what they think or say, but they're entitled to their opinion just as you are.

Then, there's the ability and willingness to collaborate for the overall good of the team or project.

You must be willing and able to put aside personal differences and get the work done on time.

Also, being able to relax and enjoy each other's company is a big plus, as it helps keep the relationships positive and healthy, which helps maintain a productive working environment.

Do you find it easier to make friends as you get older or was it easier when you were a child? Why do you think that is?

I'd probably say that I used to make friends more easily when I was younger.

Nowadays, I'm a bit more choosy about who I make friends with. I think it's because when you're young making friends is important, and new.

When you get older, you already have some good friends so making more new friends is not so important.

You also have less time to socialize because you tend to be busy with work and other things.

I know a lot of people, and I would say they're acquaintances. I would socialize with them, but I wouldn't call them good friends.

They're not the people I would turn to for advice or confide in.

How important do you think it is to form good relationships with other people?

It's extremely important to have a good relationship with at least a couple of close friends.

Apart from that, it's also essential to be able to form good relationships with the people you work with or interact with in other areas of life.

It doesn't always have to be a friendship, just a good relationship based on trust, respect, and sharing when necessary.