Describe An Intersting Conversation You Had With a Stranger

"We talked for almost six hours about literature, poets, writers, and everything related to the vast universe of words. For me, it was fascinating to meet someone like him, as he was so committed to this art."


IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

Describe an interesting conversation you had with a stranger

You should say:
- where it happened
- who you taled to
- what you talked about
and explain what the outcome of the discussion was.

Sample Answer

A few years ago, I planned to visit my family in Pereira, a town in the middle of the country. The idea was to spend the summer there with them and rest following the closing semester at the university.

But when I finally decided to go, I couldn’t find a suitable flight, and the available ones were very expensive. So, I thought that traveling by bus was a good option.

On the highway, I saw some things that inspired me, and I started to write some ideas and feelings I had on some paper. By my side, there was an old man who seemed to be interested in knowing what I was writing.

He asked me, “What are you writing on the paper?” and also asked if he could read what I had written.

I felt embarrassed and nervous about his request because I didn’t write those words expecting someone to read them, much less a stranger. Despite this peculiar request, I decided to share my writing.

A little later, the bus made a stop, and the stranger invited me to lunch. As it turned out, he was a university professor with deep knowledge of literature and poetry.

He told me that while I was writing, he glimpsed some of my phrases and felt curious.

He thought it was interesting to see a young woman writing poetry, and he said such a situation was uncommon.

We talked for almost six hours about literature, poets, writers, and everything related to the vast universe of words.

For me, it was fascinating to meet someone like him, as he was so committed to this art.

He told me about his experience as a teacher and his plans to create an organization to rescue the cultural knowledge of people with Hispanic ancestry in the United Kingdom.

Nowadays, we continue to talk by email. He lives in London. Sometimes I send him emails with some poems, and he shares them with a Hispanic-British culture group that he has, a space where different people gather to share and exchange ideas on writing.

So that was an interesting conversation I had with a stranger.



Follow-up question: How easy is it for you to start chatting with a stranger?

The truth is, I don't find it difficult to start a conversation with someone I've never met. I think the key is to just be friendly, open-minded, and willing to listen. If you approach the situation with an attitude of curiosity and receptiveness, then it's much easier to break the ice.