Talk About A Product You Received For Free As A Gift When You Purchased An Item

Describe something you received for free

Talk about a product you received for free as a gift when you purchased an item.

You should say:

  • what it was
  • if it was useful
  • what you did with it

and explain how you felt about receiving this free gift.



Describe A Product You Got For Free

A couple of months ago I went to the supermarket to buy some seeds because I wanted to plant a tree in the garden and help with the process of reforesting my hometown. I chose the appropriate tree for my home, a small one with tiny roots and good for the summer because the space where I will plant it is narrow and very hot.

The lady in the shop told me that the brand had a campaign supporting the care and promotion of home-grown plantations. She was giving away some extra seeds for the purchase of a tree, so she gave me some other seeds as a free gift, which I could choose from a long list of possibilities. And I thought that it would be a good idea to accompany the tree with some flowers.

The gift package had fewer seeds than the one I had bought; however, there were enough to plant some beautiful flowers in the garden. I started to read the instructions and put water and the necessary elements for planting as well as making the land fertile to plant the seeds correctly.

I thought that the gift was very useful and appropriate for my purchase because the flowers I planted grew before the tree, decorating the garden quickly while the tree grew. I decided to plant the flowers around the tree, and that was a good decision because, finally, when both were fully grown, the garden looked very colorful.

This whole process helped me to understand the planting procedure and the care that plants require.

Receiving this free gift made me feel good for two reasons: first, because I like campaigns that endorse care and consciousness about the environment, promoting reforestation.

All this helps people and encourages them to plant and be more aware of being committed to improving the planet. Second, I was happy with the idea of buying a tree, planting it with some flowers, and growing a beautiful garden in my home.

Overall, this was a pleasant experience that I highly recommend because it makes you feel connected to nature by contributing to improving the ecosystem.



Follw-Up Questions

Have you ever received other free gifts with purchases?

Yes, I have. I usually receive a small gift, like a key chain or a pen, with purchases from clothing stores or restaurants.

I think it's a great idea because it encourages customers to come back and make additional purchases. And it doesn't cost the store very much money to give away these small gifts. Plus, it's a novel way to show appreciation to customers for their business.

Do you think the value of the gift is different when you purchase something and you receive something for free?

Yes. The value of a free gift is always greater when you purchase something.

If I buy coffee and then receive a coffee mug as a free gift, I will feel like my mug was worth it since now I have something useful that I can use every day. Whereas if I don't buy coffee, but instead receive the same amount of money in cash - there's no attachment or sense of satisfaction with what was given to me before (i.e., no mug).

Do you think people value items more when they purchase them than if they receive them as a gift?

Yes. When people purchase an item, they're more likely to remember the experience of finding it enjoyable than when they receive it as a gift.

It's because the act of buying something forces your brain into "finding" mode. You put effort into locating the desired object and acquiring it for yourself. In other words, by making an effort to find something, we value it more than if a company gives it for free without any work involved in getting it.



What's Your Opinion?

  • What promotional gifts have you received?
  • Do you think promotional gifts from brands are worth anything?
  • What do brands give out to make promotions seem more valuable?
  • What makes a free gift valuable to the person receiving it?
  • How would you describe something you received for free?

  • Related

  • Describe an item of clothing that someone gave you (a gift)
  • Describe a rule you had to obey when you were at school