IELTS Interview Questions & Answers

Interview Questions - IELTS speaking interview questions and answers

These IELTS interview questions cover the following topics:

  • Parks
  • An important letter
  • Effective communication
  • Pictures & communication
  • Communication in the future

Here are some IELTS interview questions with sample answers, from a recent IELTS interview in the USA.

IELTS Interview Questions

Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is Jose Miguel Vicente

Can I see your ID?

Yes, of course, here you are.

Where are you from?

I’m from Mexico originally, but I’ve been here in the US for about 5 months now.

Do you work or study?

I’m studying here at the moment, trying to improve my English so I can stay and go to university here.

Is there a park in your area?

Yes, there is, quite close to where I live.

When did you last visit a park?

Just last weekend, I went with some friends and we played some baseball and then had something to eat at one of the stalls there. Then we had some beers and relaxed for about an hour.

IELTS Interview Questions

Part 2

Describe an important letter that you received.
  • When did you receive the letter?
  • Who was it from?
  • Why was it important?


Last week I received a letter from my bank back home. It was originally sent to my mother’s house, my home address in Mexico, and she forwarded it on to me here.

The letter was important because it explained a change in the password system for the online banking portal associated with my bank account. The bank explained that they are going to change the method of accessing the virtual banking platform at the end of this month and the purpose of the letter was to outline the new procedure bank clients will need to use to get access to the facilities the platform offers.

Before the end of the month I will have to access the online site using my old password and then follow the instructions to update my access authorization so that I can continue to use the site in the future.



IELTS Interview Questions

Part 3

Communication Skills

What does ‘effective communication’ mean to you?

Effective communication means that the communication, whatever it is, explains the message clearly and tells the person receiving it what to do, if anything, and how and when to do it. If it is effective, then it will be clearlogical and the recipient should have no further questions or need to clarify any points – unless their circumstances are maybe out of the ordinary.

What do you think about the use of pictures in communication?

They’re great – things like infographics can help explain ideas and concepts or display data in a much more accessible way for many people – pictures can also be quicker in terms of getting a message across rather than having to try and explain all the details in words so that everyone understands the same idea. With a picture, there is less chance of misunderstanding.

How will communication skills change in the future?

Well, I suppose there are several ways which we can already envisage on the horizon. Google is constantly launching new products which change how people communicate.

I think that we’ll adopt using voice messages more in the future as opposed to sending text messages – simply because it’s quicker to record a quick message than text someone. But if some smart person came up with a way of sending picture messages – sort of like a super-advanced emoticon message – I guess that would probably be instantly popular with a lot of young people.

And of course there may be even more advanced technology introduced which we aren’t aware of at the moment – or it’s still in the very early stages of being developed. It’s a bit like trying to imagine a smartphone before cellular phones were even invented - almost impossible to imagine the concept, but anything could be possible in the future.



Related
  • Interview Questions - Communication Skills
  • Interview Questions - Communication - Body Language

  • This IELTS speaking test includes questions about:

    • your work / profession
    • your family / extended family
    • a movie you saw recently
    • film directors
    • historic films
    • impact of films on the young generation

    IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

    Work / Profession

    What is your profession?

    I am a web developer.

    Why did you choose this profession?

    I chose my profession because I have always been interested in computers and technology. I also like working with people and helping them solve problems.

    Given a choice, would you change your profession? [if yes, Why?]

    No, I find my work deeply satisfying, and I can't imagine doing anything else.

    Family

    How many people are there in your family?

    In my immediate family, there are four people - my parents, my sister, and me. However, I have a large extended family that I am very close to.

    Do you prefer living as a nuclear family or as part of an extended family?

    I like both, I see my parents and sister every day, but I often don't see my extended family members for weeks or months at a time.



    IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

    Talk about a movie/film you saw recently

    You should say:
    • where you saw it
    • what the movie was about
    • why you chose to watch that particular movie
    and say if you thought it was a good movie.



    IELTS Cue Card Answer | A film/movie you saw recently

    I'd like to talk about a film I saw recently called "The Mechanic 2" (Resurrection) starring Jason Statham and Jessica Alba. I watched it with some friends at home streamed over the internet. We had thought about going to watch it at the movies, but then my friend found it uploaded on a movie site before it was actually released here, so we decided to watch it online instead of waiting.

    The movie is about a hitman or assassin who is an expert in killing people in ways that make the deaths look like accidents. The main character is played by Jason Statham and the movie is about him being tricked into killing three people by one of his old enemies.

    Jessica Alba plays a character that is running a shelter and school for children, I think they were orphans, and basically the bad guy, the villain, in the movie uses her as leverage to trick Arthur Bishop (the character played by Statham) into bumping off his three main criminal rivals.

    So the movie is like your typical action movie, with plenty of action and stunts and although the story is a little predictable there are some good parts in it and it was very enjoyable.

    Anyway, as you can imagine, he manages to get even with the bad guy and rescue the girl by the end of the movie … and they meet up later at the shelter where she’s working, suggesting that everybody lives happily ever after – as you’d expect. Like I said, it’s a bit predictable, but still a fun movie.

    We chose to watch it because we had seen the first movie The Mechanic a few years ago and we thought it was good. After watching that, we found out that it was based on an older movie from the 70s (based on a book) I think it was, with an actor called Charles Bronson, and we found that online too and watched it – it was good even though it was a much older version.

    Overall, we thought it was a good movie; it continued in the same vein as the first one and was fun to watch. I don’t know if there’ll be a third one – but if there is I’ll probably want to watch that too.

    Follow up question: What inspired you the most from the movie?


    I suppose it would be the ingenious methods he used to assasinate his victims. Obviously it's just a movie but someone must have a great imagination to be able to dream up such things - even to include them in the movie script.



    IELTS Speaking Test Part 3

    How responsible should film directors be for the movies they make?

    Movies are a form of art, and art is supposed to provoke thought and discussion. How responsible should the director be for the message or moral of the story? Movies can be a powerful tool for social change but can also be used to manipulate and control the masses. So, movie directors have a great deal of responsibility for the movies they make.

    Do you think more historic films should be produced?

    Yes, these types of films can teach us a lot about the past, and also help to shape our view of the present. They can be used to raise awareness about important issues or to entertain us.

    How are younger generations impacted by films?

    It's hard to say how films impact younger generations. But it's safe to say that they are influenced in some way.

    I guess they might be impacted by the values or messages that films communicate. For example, many superhero movies these days seem to emphasize teamwork and self-sacrifice, which are good values to impart to young people.

    Do you think the contents of movies are changing these days?

    I think that the contents of movies are definitely changing these days. I feel like there are more and more films with diverse casts and storylines that focus on social issues. I think this is a good trend, as it means that Hollywood is finally starting to listen to the voices of people who have been traditionally underrepresented in the media.