These are actual IELTS Speaking Test questions reported by IELTS test takers from around the world this month.
IELTS Speaking Test Part 1 QuestionsHats
- Do you wear hats?
- On what occasions do people generally wear hats?
- Do you think people wear hats for fashion reasons or as a necessity?
- Do you think celebrating birthdays is important? Why? / Why not?
- How do children in your country normally celebrate their birthdays?
- Which year is most celebrated in your country? [refers to major birthdays such as 15th, 18th birthday, etc.]
- Do you like science?
- What science subject at school do/did you like the most? Why?
- Do you ever watch movies about science?
- Is there anything about science that you dislike?
Home / where you live
- Describe the place where you currently living?
- Do you live with your family?
- Do you prefer to live in a house or an apartment?
- Tell me about your house?
- What can you see through your windows at home?
- Do you prefer to write by hand or using a computer? VVhat is the difference?
- Do you read e-books?
Your first/primary school
- What can you remember about your first school?
- How did you go to (or, travel to) school?
- What were some of the most popular activities (in the playground?) at primary school?
- Are holidays important for you? Why? Why not?
- When there is a public holiday in your country, what do people usually do?
- What kind of places do you like to go to on holiday? Why?
- What kind of activities do you like to do when you are on holiday? Why?
- Who do you normally go on holiday with?
- If you could go on holiday anywhere in the world, where would you choose to go? Why would you go there?
- Would you like to change your job in the future?
- What activities do you do with your family?
- Who is the closest person to you in your family?
- Is spending time with your family important in your culture?
- What colours do you like?
- Why do you like these colours?
- Are these the same colours that you used to like before?
- What colours would you avoid if you had to decorate your room?
- What colours are popular amongst younger people these days?
IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 Questions
Talk about a company that you think is interestingYou should say:
- which company it is
- why it is interesting
- what you know about the company
Describe a car/bicycle trip you would like to go onYou should say:
- where you would go
- who you would take along
- whether it would be a difficult trip
Talk about a country you would like to work in for a short period of time.You should say:
- which country it is
- why you want to work there
- what kind of work you would like to do
Describe a place affected by pollution.You should say:
- where it is
- what the problem is
- how you know about it
Talk about your favorite free time activity.You should say:
- what it is
- when and how often you do it
- Who you do it with
Talk about a difficult choice you had to make.You should say:
- what it was
- why it was difficult
- how you made the choice
Talk about a time when you were very busy.You should say:
- why you were busy
- what you were doing
- how you managed your time
IELTS Speaking Test Part 3 QuestionsCompanies
- Are companies paying more for senior employees nowadays?
- Do you think employers should take better care of employees compared to customers?
- What are some of the major industries that have grown in your country recently?
- Why are there so many cars on roads these days?
- What are the most popular modes of public transport in your area?
- Which is the most commonly used mode of transport in your country?
- How can the problem of too much traffic be solved?
- How are vehicles different in urban areas and in the countryside?
- Are bicycles a better mode of transportation? Why? / Why not?
- Do you consider that pollution is a huge environmental threat? Why? / Why not?
- Do you believe that city planners fail to consider pedestrians while planning roads?
- Would you make the same choice again if given the chance? (refers to Part 2 question about a difficult choice)
- What should people do if they think that they made the wrong choice?
- What kind of advertising media do you like the most? Why?
- Do you think children are easily influenced by advertisements?
- Are childhood experiences very important for people? Why do you think so?
- Why do some people like to talk a lot about their experiences as a child?
- When you listen to other people describing their childhood experiences, do you believe them?
- Do you think some people make up stories about their childhood? Why do you think they might do this?
Working under pressure
- Do you often feel under pressure while at work?
- Are there any advantages of working under pressure? What are they?
- What are some things people can do to help deal with pressure at work?