IELTS Speaking Test Questions & Answers

IELTS Speaking Test Answers Part 1

Do you like your job?

Yes, I like my job. It’s interesting and the people I work with are really friendly and the workplace environment is also great.

Do you want to continue in the same job in the future?

Well, I think there’s still a lot I can learn while doing this job, and as I said, it’s interesting and the working environment is really good, so I can imagine maybe spending another couple of years working for the company before thinking about moving on and possibly looking for a new challenge with more responsibilities.

Is doing things in a hurry a good or bad habit?

Firstly, I think there’s a difference between doing things in a hurry, which is normally considered to be a bad thing and doing things with some urgency. In my experience when things get done in a hurry – that’s when mistakes are made or things are overlooked, so I guess I would say it’s a bad habit, as in it’s not something that you should do regularly.

Is it good to do everything in a hurry?

Well, there’ll always be some times when you need to do things in a hurry, but it’s best not to make it a habit. Doing things with a sense of urgency, on the other hand, doesn’t have the same negative connotation as doing things in a hurry, at least in my mind.

Which do you prefer when you need to write something: a computer or handwriting?

I would have to say a computer, definitely. I just find it so much easier than writing things down by hand. It’s easier to correct any mistakes or just add in another thought or change a sentence slightly and things like that. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I wrote something by hand other than just a quick note – I guess it would be when I was still a student at university. Nowadays, almost everything I write is on a computer or my phone.


IELTS Speaking Test Answers Part 2

Talk about the family member you are closest to

- Who is it?
- What is he/she like?
- What do you usually do together?
- Why are you closer to this person than other members of your family?

The person I spend the most time with in my family is my older sister. We’re very close and always have been ever since we were little girls. There are only two years between us so there’s no big age gap and as we’ve gotten older, we’ve become even closer I think, you know how it is when you’re very young – a two-year age difference can make a big difference – but when you get to your twenties it’s no longer such a big difference.

She’s a lot like me in many aspects, she’s always positive and cheery, and she likes to enjoy herself and is quite athletic too – like me. Really, the only thing we don’t have in common is that she isn’t as reckless as I am. She’s a lot more analytical and reserved sometimes, but apart from that, we are pretty similar.

I suppose our favorite activity is – shopping – we love to spend an afternoon, or sometimes even a whole day, shopping. Thankfully we have almost the same taste in clothes and other things so we never have any arguments about which shops to visit, and that’s probably the activity that we do most often together.

Apart from that we go for lunch or to the movies and sometimes go to do some exercise together but that’s not as often, maybe once or twice a month, and of course, we spend time together with other members of our family, but that’s different because it’s not just the two of us.

I would say that the reason I spend so much time with her is that we are very similar and like the same things, so it’s just like hanging out with my best friend rather than my older sister. She’s really good fun to be around and I always feel comfortable with her, and we always seem to have a good time together.

I have an older brother and a younger sister too but the age difference is much greater and we don’t have that much in common apart from being part of the same family. So I guess that’s why my older sister and I spend so much time together.


IELTS Speaking Test Answers Part 3

In what ways do family members support each other?

Well, from my own experience, my parents helped me with some of my school homework assignments, and my sister taught me how to ride a bike. My older brother helps out the family by paying for certain things and helping my parents financially, and my sisters and I help my mother a lot around the house, especially with groceries and cooking and things like that.

But apart from practical help like that, obviously within a family there’s normally a lot of emotional support and love and parents give advice and try to make sure that their children have the best opportunities, and children, on the other hand, try to make sure that their parents are taken care of and don’t have to struggle when they get older. The support that a family provides is really important so that you can feel safe and secure, especially when you’re young.

In your culture, do men and women have the same responsibility towards children?

It’s something which is changing slowly but traditionally, yes, and in many cases, it’s still the woman who stays home to look after their children. Some wealthier families might employ a nanny or someone similar to care for young children or at least help out, but many women actually want to stay at home with their young children. Once they get older and go off to school some women might consider returning to their career if they had one before getting married and having children, but a lot depends on the individual’s circumstances.

What is the children's responsibility toward their parents?

Again, traditionally children have seen it as their responsibility firstly to respect their parents and also to take care of their parents as they get older. I think that’s pretty much a global thing, isn’t it?

Clearly things change over time but even so the general idea that children should look after their parents when they’re older is a common one. However, there are different ways in which children can do this though depending on their circumstances and own personal beliefs.

They might simply help out their parents with financial support or, alternatively, they might invite their parents to live with them so that they can look after them better. Or if they have the financial resources, they might employ a special live-in carer to take care of their parents if they are particularly elderly and need some special attention.

Who should be responsible for supporting the elderly? Families or the government?

Personally, I would have to say it should be a combination of both. The state has a certain responsibility to all citizens, and children have a certain degree of responsibility for the welfare and comfort of their parents.

There are things that the government can better provide, for example, hospital care, hospices, and other social health care services, while children and other family members can obviously provide more emotional support and care better than the state could.

I believe that elderly people have both physical and emotional needs and so therefore it’s best to meet those needs with a combination of government and family support to ensure they receive the best care possible in their old age.